SB17 or Seas ER18RNX to pair with RS28A

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donradick View Post
    Those SB17 drivers look pretty awesome. I think distortion will be much lower than the ER18 special.
    Thanks -- another vote for the SB!

Comment

Originally posted by 50 watt head View Post

Well, FWIW, that was the first time I've used that online modeler, so, I have no idea how accurate my use of it was. I need to get an old version of Excel so I can use spreadsheet tools again.
      I had entered an incorrect value going through it too quickly the other day. Here's the response in the cabinet you propose, for the 5 ohm truncated ER18RN-TRD.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	er18.gif
Views:	1
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1331800
      Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
        Here's the response in the cabinet you propose, for the 5 ohm truncated ER18RN-TRD.
        Thanks man. If the midrange performance is lacking, it sure does look like it would make a great bottom for a 3-way.

Comment

I doubt you'll be disappointed with its midrange performance.
          Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

I don't have any experience with that SB, and I don't have experience with the truncated ER18... but I can say that the standard ER18 in a MTM configuration is down right impressive. Paul K designed the ML/TL cabinet, and the things not only HAMMER, they play into the upper 20s and still manage crazy output. I have no issues recommending that ER18 woofer, IMO it's a very good driver. I'm not dogging the SB17... for $30/driver less it's a tough call. But IMO, you'll be really happy with that ER18. As far as the ER18's ability to do midrange... I would guess (based on being pleased with previous SB woofers) that the 2 would be close... but I wouldn't be surprised if the SB actually edged out the ER18 in the mids. Total guess though because I haven't personally ever heard that SB. The ER18 had average mids IMO, not awesome but not crap either. But that bass... ooooh lala .
            "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
            "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
              Since you are going for a subwoofer-less build, the parameters of the 5 ohm truncated ER18 align to provide very deep bass in a small ported cab. Probably the best bass extension you could ever hope for from a 6.5" midwoofer.

I was checking this woofer out recently and I could swear I read the same thing over at htguide, but can't find the thread now. Someone thought it better for a compact 3 way with the mids probably not as good as the RNX.

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
                I don't have any experience with that SB, and I don't have experience with the truncated ER18... but I can say that the standard ER18 in a MTM configuration is down right impressive. Paul K designed the ML/TL cabinet, and the things not only HAMMER, they play into the upper 20s and still manage crazy output. I have no issues recommending that ER18 woofer, IMO it's a very good driver. I'm not dogging the SB17... for $30/driver less it's a tough call. But IMO, you'll be really happy with that ER18. As far as the ER18's ability to do midrange... I would guess (based on being pleased with previous SB woofers) that the 2 would be close... but I wouldn't be surprised if the SB actually edged out the ER18 in the mids. Total guess though because I haven't personally ever heard that SB. The ER18 had average mids IMO, not awesome but not crap either. But that bass... ooooh lala .

Great feedback, thanks man.

Comment

Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post

I was checking this woofer out recently and I could swear I read the same thing over at htguide, but can't find the thread now. Someone thought it better for a compact 3 way with the mids probably not as good as the RNX.

Yeah, I'm fairly tempted to pick up a pair of the truncated ER18 and set them aside for a future 3-way project.

Comment

Originally posted by dld View Post
                    just to be annoying I'm gonna suggest the Usher 8948A. The sale ER18 from the competitor is pretty appealing though.

I appreciate your suggestion. The Usher is a *little* above the budget I am considering, but not by a whole lot. I wish it used a more typical 5.75" through hole.

Comment

I have listened to many hours with the SB17 uncoated paper driver you are considering. It's really an excellent midwoofer, but the SEAS might have a bit more bass below 100 Hz. If you are using a subwoofer, that no longer becomes an issue.
                      -Dan
                      Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
                        I have listened to many hours with the SB17 uncoated paper driver you are considering. It's really an excellent midwoofer, but the SEAS might have a bit more bass below 100 Hz
                        Thanks man. That's very helpful feedback.

Comment

Looks like I lost my position as designer to the Stars, lol
                          You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Working...
                          X