Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NE149-04 on close out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NE149-04 on close out

    I see that PE is closing out the NE149-04's. That's a shame because it is a great sounding woofer and the driver Curt and I used in the mids of the Finalist. I do think it continues to be available from other sources but its a great price from PE.

    https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...ofer--264-1082

    Build away!

    Jim

  • #2
    Do you think the NE149-04 is just in another league compared to the Peerless by Tymphany 830991 5-1/4" GFC Cone HDS Woofer?

    https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...ofer--264-1074

    looking for something to mate to XT25BG60. The LM1 project with the 830991 + XT25BG60 looks very good, but I would consider changing to the NE149 if it really is quite a bit better. But there would be some voicing of the crossover though. more money+extra work = result>LM1?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ontariomaximus
      Do you think the NE149-04 is just in another league compared to the Peerless by Tymphany 830991 5-1/4" GFC Cone HDS Woofer?

      https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...ofer--264-1074 looking for something to mate to XT25BG60. The LM1 project with the 830991 + XT25BG60 looks very good, but I would consider changing to the NE149 if it really is quite a bit better. But there would be some voicing of the crossover though. more money+extra work = result>LM1?
      There are a lot of projects better than the LM1. And I would also consider the NE series in another league compared to the HDS line.
      -Kerry

      www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
        There are a lot of projects better than the LM1. And I would also consider the NE series in another league compared to the HDS line.

        Not disagreeing with you, but at the same price or mostly higher priced?

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm with Kerry. NE's have a very natural sound that gives a better sense of a real performance. IMHO and others that have used all three, NE's, Satori's and Revelators all run in the same circles. Each will have their strengths but I have yet to hear a NE driver that didn't sound great when properly implemented. Everyone has different favorites depending on what aspect of music is important to them. I'm all about the mids. If the mids aren't right, it's not a speaker I enjoy.

          My $0.02 worth....

          Jim

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kevintomb View Post


            Not disagreeing with you, but at the same price or mostly higher priced?

            I would say at all prices. I don't remember what the guy's name was (Erik something) that was hawking the crap out of this design for about a month straight, but he seemed to lack some knowledge at the time that I (and I think most others) would consider important. In the end he had bacially designed a speaker with no BSC that he was claiming was at 89 dB sensitivity or something like that. Then he just said to adjust for it to your taste using the room correction feature on your receiver. Too me, that's not the best solution and if you are looking for a full range bookshelf speaker for 2-channel use, not acceptable.
            -Kerry

            www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm in agreement here. He also felt baffle step does not apply to AMTs.

              Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

              *InDIYana event website*

              Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

              My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

              Comment


              • #8
                That really is a shame. I built my Finalists three years ago and I love them! I recently built the Carreras which uses the 5.5 inch Revelator mid. Both speakers do mids very, very well, but in the end, I find that I like the FInalists better. just a touch clearer to me. I run the Finalists with the back tunnels plugged, so it is a fair comparison I think. That's one of the cool things about Jim's design. You can play with how much foam you put in the OB tunnel, or you can plug it altogether depending on your tastes

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DJW View Post
                  That really is a shame. I built my Finalists three years ago and I love them! I recently built the Carreras which uses the 5.5 inch Revelator mid. Both speakers do mids very, very well, but in the end, I find that I like the FInalists better. just a touch clearer to me. I run the Finalists with the back tunnels plugged, so it is a fair comparison I think. That's one of the cool things about Jim's design. You can play with how much foam you put in the OB tunnel, or you can plug it altogether depending on your tastes
                  Thank you for the feedback and the very kind words! Curt and I appreciate it. Which brings up a correction, its Curt's amazing crossover work that makes the designs he and I have colaborated on sound so good. Curt has a passion for speaker design that he's had for many, many years and it shows in his work. He's also my very good friend that's busy working while I hang out in the forums so I get get credit when he should get it all. :-)

                  The Finalists and Carreras both look great! Beautiful cabinetry work!

                  Enjoy the music!

                  Jim

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DJW View Post
                    That really is a shame. I built my Finalists three years ago and I love them! I recently built the Carreras which uses the 5.5 inch Revelator mid. Both speakers do mids very, very well, but in the end, I find that I like the FInalists better. just a touch clearer to me. I run the Finalists with the back tunnels plugged, so it is a fair comparison I think. That's one of the cool things about Jim's design. You can play with how much foam you put in the OB tunnel, or you can plug it altogether depending on your tastes
                    Well, fair except one is a three way and the other a two way, so not really apples to apples.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dld View Post

                      Well, fair except one is a three way and the other a two way, so not really apples to apples.
                      Actually, I was just comparing the midrange since the thread was about the NE-149. I should have been more clear.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hello

                        The Finalists Monitor uses the 8 ohm version of this driver , I think? .

                        A question for Jim, if I may: I built a pair of Curt's "Slapshots" with RS180Ps, and love the sound, especially the mid-range: how would you compare the sound of the RS with the VIFA, please?

                        Thank you

                        Geoff

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hey Jim! I just realized something. Isn't the 8 ohm version used in the Finalists, not the 4 ohm? When I originally purchased the kit, it came with the 4 ohm version. Mark from Meniscus contacted me and said the wrong mid was shipped and I returned it for the 8 ohm version. It wasn't marked on the woofer, so I had to ohm it out with my multi-meter to verify that I was sent the 4 ohm. I noticed a big improvement with the 8 ohm version. It looks like PE still has the NE-149-08, and it's not on clearance.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DJW View Post
                            Hey Jim! I just realized something. Isn't the 8 ohm version used in the Finalists, not the 4 ohm? When I originally purchased the kit, it came with the 4 ohm version. Mark from Meniscus contacted me and said the wrong mid was shipped and I returned it for the 8 ohm version. It wasn't marked on the woofer, so I had to ohm it out with my multi-meter to verify that I was sent the 4 ohm. I noticed a big improvement with the 8 ohm version. It looks like PE still has the NE-149-08, and it's not on clearance.
                            No, there was some confusion regarding whether we designed the Finalists with the 4 ohm or 8 ohm version. We did design it with the NE149-04 driver so the 4 ohm NE149 is correct.

                            HTH

                            JIm

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                              I'm in agreement here. He also felt baffle step does not apply to AMTs.

                              Later,
                              Wolf
                              That guy also offered to give us frd files for free!
                              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X