NE149-04 on close out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dld View Post

Well, fair except one is a three way and the other a two way, so not really apples to apples.
    It is a very fair comparison, fruit notwithstanding. In fact, all comparisons in audio are fair.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post

It is a very fair comparison, fruit notwithstanding. In fact, all comparisons in audio are fair.
      well in that this is audio and is not really that important sure, but in comparing a mid in a three way compared to a midwoofer in a two way, it's not gonna give you that much info. Apparently he was just comparing them head to head and so maybe that is a little more helpful. I may be a bit cynical but I would be surprised if many/any people here could accurately identify the mid in a properly designed three way between the Satori, Revelator, and the Ne. I know I probably couldn't.
      Last edited by dld; 05-17-2017, 01:44 AM.

Comment

The (6) drivers come out to $402.34 right now for the Finalists, but the crossovers get (kinda) pricey. Still, you could always buy the mids now and stash them for later!
        -Dan
        Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

I just bought a pair of NE149W-08 and want to pair with the XT25BG60, which I also bought on sale. Anyone want to take a stab at the crossover? Going to go into an 11 litre vented box like the micro-statements and finalist monitors

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
            I just bought a pair of NE149W-08 and want to pair with the XT25BG60, which I also bought on sale. Anyone want to take a stab at the crossover? Going to go into an 11 litre vented box like the micro-statements and finalist monitors
            If you paired that with a RS28F tweeter, it would be a Finalist Monitor which was developed as a surround speaker for Finalist based home theaters. Contact Curt for info if you're interested.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post

If you paired that with a RS28F tweeter, it would be a Finalist Monitor which was developed as a surround speaker for Finalist based home theaters. Contact Curt for info if you're interested.

Jim
              I would highly recommend you go this route! See if you can't return those tweeters and build a proven/tested design!
              -Dan
              Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

I got the impression the Curt liked the micro-statements more than the finalist monitor.

Comment

Audio is heads up drag racing - no handicaps, no brackets. No apples, no oranges. It either appeals to you, or it doesn't. When it appeals, it wins. Qualifiers like "well, of course it lost it is a 2-way vs a 3-way" hinder the hobby. Not sure who mentioned it years ago (MarkK maybe?), but he inferred that a good woofered 3-way will beat up a great woofered 2-way. That is true. And it us also absolutely fair to compare a 2-way to a 3-way on any metric.
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
                    I got the impression the Curt liked the micro-statements more than the finalist monitor.
                    Ha! I've got him liking ribbons better than domes. Both are excellent but the ribbons have more "air" and sparkle. They cost twice as much as the RS28F and the crossover is more complex. Your choice. Both fill the room with music. Either one would solve your crossover problem.

Jim

Comment

Huh, the one on "clearance" costs more than the "regularly priced" one. I dislike it when companies use the term "clearance" without significantly reducing the price.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clearance.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1332328
                      "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Ok, something is wrong the clearance price was significantly less than that. But today it seems to show the regular price.

Not to worry, when the Tang Band 5 inch rbm sub went on clearance, the price actually increased from the regular price.

At this clearance price, we can get the satori in choice of two colors and in mid or mid woofer flavors with two different sensitivity.

Hope PE goes back to the clearance price....

Comment

I've even seen 'sale prices' that were less than the regular price, and then when the sale ended, the price escalated to above what the regular price was before the sale started.

Later,
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

If you were to purchase 500 the price comes down to $82.32 according to another large electronic Retailer (18 weeks lead time). That is well below the sale price

Comment

"Audio is heads up drag racing - no handicaps, no brackets. No apples, no oranges"
                              haha, not really- drag racing = objective, the clock. Audio = subjective, all personal judgment.

Qualifiers like "well, of course it lost it is a 2-way vs a 3-way" hinder the hobby

I don't know where this quote came from and I don't see anything anyone has said that "hinders the hobby"

"Not sure who mentioned it years ago (MarkK maybe?), but he inferred that a good woofered 3-way will beat up a great woofered 2-way. That is true."

I don't see how the statement above differs much from "well, of course it lost it is a 2-way vs a 3-way" the one you made up. I'm not sure how relevant either one is.

Comment

Sucks this happened again at PE. I was going to purchase a pair at the clearance price...
                                Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X