Synergy horn build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synergy horn build

For my last design team build I've decided to do a Synergy horn build. There are some technical challenges so this build could go on for a while. I'm trying to keep this simple enough to be reproducible.

The design goal (other than to make a Synergy horn), is to design the speaker for home use. As this is for home use at reasonable spl levels, I want to use a conventional tweeter (first challenge). Reasonable SPL levels mean I can also use a single midrange driver (challenge #2).

I'm using Bill Waslo's Synergy horn spreadsheet to get me started. I will not be using the waist banding flare. I'm also using Horn Response to model the offset drivers in the horn.

I've built a foam core board model for tweeter testing and have wrapped the testing up last week, so I've order parts. Attached is the current drawing.
    John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Hey John, looks interesting. I'll be excited to watch this one progress and learn from you!
    Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
    Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks

Comment

I couldn't tell you the first thing about Synergy horns, but I know Bill Waslo has put a lot of information up on the DIYAudio forum.
      "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away." -Tom Waits

Comment

Is the plan for this to be a two way? I know Tom Danley did a three way horn using 5" closed back mids. Not sure why though.

Comment

I once saw a rather clever implementation using Aura NSW2s for midrange. At $10 each, it'd probably get you down to 500hz.

Comment

The plan is for a 3-way. Tweeter is the RS28A (I mistakenly ordered the F ) I'll post some of the measurements tomorrow. The mid is the GRS 4FR-8, but I'm a bit concerned with the sensitivity as the published specs don't match a 91 dB sensitivity. The woofers are the DCS165-4 subwoofers a pair per side.

With the offset loading horn loading of the mid and woofer it's pretty tough to do a 2-way unless you use a small full range driver as the tweeter.
            John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

The F might actually be a bit better John. It's natural top end rise can help offset the natural drop from the horn loading.
              https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Chuck, I'll check the construction. The best measured tweeters have a phase plug or deflector that change the wave shape to reduce the destructive interference in the 8K to 11K range. The XT25 and the RS28A measured the best.
                John H

Comment

From my foam core model, a few tweeter tests

John H

Comment

Horn response models for the GRS 4FR mid and DCS165 woofers. The roll off on the woofer does not represent a ported enclosure. The key here is to make sure the modeled construction of the driver ports into the horn provide enough overlap for the x-o.

John H

Comment

John
                      How is this coming, will you have it for MWAF?

Comment

Could you use your own "phase plug" on the F tweet?
                        A mains
                        The Ventures
                        Open Invit8tions
                        RSR
                        Sound Troopers
                        Acorns
                        DGBG's
                        The Monuments

Comment

This is not going to make MWAF this year. I'd be happy if I made the Design team end in September.

I made a bunch of tests with phase plugs, unfortunately none with the F model. What I found was that I could not get the shape right or close enough to the dome to stop the destructive interference. Most of the tweeters I tested were 1 inch dome that were recessed behind the face plate. The XT and RS that performed better also had very little recess.

Note the Wolf added a grill and phase plug to his TL labs tweeter. He might have some interesting measurements. If you are following the wave guide thread, I do think the edge overlap is important.

John H

Comment

John

Do you have a link to Bill Waslo's spreadsheet for the synergy horn? I have a terrible time every time I try a search on DIYaudio, usually don't find things I know to be there!

Comment

Here's Bill library link http://libinst.com/SynergyCalc/

Bill and I had a discussion about some of the calculations used for Horn Response. That aside the spread sheet is great for figuring out the angles to cut. I removed the waist banding/ last flare from my horn.
                              John H

Comment

Working...
                              X