X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDF and a few other pics
    Attached Files
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Very nice, John! Listening impressions?
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

John, I am anxious to see and hear this creation. The report was very well done.

Comment

Thanks Howard, we have enough local guys I should organize a gtg, there just never seems like there's enough time.
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            Very nice, John! Listening impressions?
            Wolf
            After fixing some surprise port tuning, I like the sound quite a bit. The lower distortion and fewer room reflections allows quite a bit more clarity. The imaging was also better than expected. It's similar to when we get to listen to high quality drivers that Jeff brings to Fort Wayne.

I wanted a little bit more on the top end, but this is still the best I've heard the XT sound. It's still amazing to me that there good sound coming from box with holes in it.
            John H

Comment

Fantastic John, would love to hear it!
              --
              Javad Shadzi
              Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

I was about to do something.

And then I just spent an hour reading about synergy horns and my brain hurts. You knocked it out of the park.

Why the XT25 and not a compression driver?

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post

Why the XT25 and not a compression driver?
                  Is my opinion that for critical listening CDs don't sound as good as most any other tweeter. As this design is for home use there's no need for ear splitting SPL levels so I could get away with a traditional tweeter. Once you crack the design nut and make a traditional tweeter work in a horn then there are a huge number of options available.
                  John H

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post

Is my opinion that for critical listening CDs don't sound as good as most any other tweeter.
                    What is this based on?

Comment

Actual listening to compression drivers and other tweeters. Granted I've not heard a bunch of Cds but of those I've heard, none have the sounds of bells, brass horns, and triangles that I associate with better sounding tweeters. That's my opinion, of course you can form your own.
                      John H

Comment

Actual listening to compression drivers and other tweeters. Granted I've not heard a bunch of Cds but of those I've heard, none have the sounds of bells, brass horns, and triangles that I associate with better sounding tweeters. That's my opinion, of course you can form your own.
                        ​Maybe it's because of how they were implemented, CDs usually being used for hi efficiency pro audio rather than Hi Fi systems..
                        Brian Steele
                        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

​Maybe it's because of how they were implemented, CDs usually being used for hi efficiency pro audio rather than Hi Fi systems..
                          IIRC, pro sound gear tends to achieve CD horns through diffraction. Compact and efficient, but not exactly hi-fi.

Comment

I've heard some pro implementations but typically discount those as designed for economy. My experience is from taking Selenium, JBL, and Eminence CDs in a SEOS WG and trying to make them sound as good as the dome and ribbon drivers I have.

This was my test bed

John H

Comment

I was hoping you had done more objective testing.
                              I moved to CD back in 2008 with the B&C DE10 that Zaph tested and then to a JBL 2408H mated to the JBL 6x6 PT waveguide in 2010 and in my application it has worked very well, before this I had been using the Dayton RS28A and Seas 27TDFC.

Comment

WRT CDs, I have a tremendous respect for Radian drivers. They sound VERY good.

Wolf
                                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                                X