Bolts for box construction.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolts for box construction.

I was wondering the name of the bolts used here.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...g-illuminator/

You mean, the pieces of all-thread with double female couplers ending in T-nuts? Or at least that's how it looks.
    Francis

Comment

If you are talking the bracing, that looks just like threaded rod - standard hardware store materials. Looks like they put some couplers in the middle to cinch up the panels.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=threa...w=1485&bih=919
      Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Yeah, countersunk or counterbored heads with couplers, etc. I would damp the shafts as they would have a resonant frequency and vibrate like piano wire. Interesting, but I would not brace a cab like this.

Perhaps PVC pipe over the shafts filled with some semi firm setting glop and tightened from the outside, too much work for little benefit.

Comment

I'd agree that it would be better to brace in a more traditional way. The exposed fastener ends on the cabinet sides would complicate veneering.

The stress of the bolt ends on the cabinet sides would deform the MDF over time too, and that could show as a depression on the sides. Glossier finishes would be unforgiving of this method.
          Bill Schneider
          -+-+-+-+-
          www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

I didn't see that it was all thread. Lol
            Ya I guess it is just basic parts!
            I decided not to do that!
            Like above, the glue us strong. Bracing works.

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
              Looks like they put some couplers in the middle to cinch up the panels.[/url]
              I had thought that the couplers wouldn't tighten the structure. When turned, at one end the threaded rod is pulled in; at the other end it's pushed out.

On the threaded eye hooks with a couple for tightening guy wire, one side has reverse thread. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

I had thought that the couplers wouldn't tighten the structure. When turned, at one end the threaded rod is pulled in; at the other end it's pushed out.

On the threaded eye hooks with a couple for tightening guy wire, one side has reverse thread. Am I missing something?
                You may be right, the ends that meet up with the cabinet wall aren't threaded all the way through, so the couplers appear to simply be connecting the end bits.

I don't think the piano wire effect will be an issue in a small bookshelf cabinet, but there are simpler ways to brace a cabinet.
                Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Looks like socket head cap screws counterbored into the sides threaded into all-thread with couplers on the ends.

I had a pair of newer KEF Coda speakers that used long threaded rods thru the backs all the way into threaded bosses on the backs of the driver basket (woofer and tweeter shared a single basket but were not coincident). It worked amazingly well. Arrived a little loose but once snugged up it was very solid.

Comment

Working...
                  X