No announcement yet.

Right speaker design for Realistic Nova 7b cabinets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright... been thinking about this. Without a sub I suspect you'll be disappointed with the Nova 2 design and it's DA215 woofer. But.... I was just playing with the dimensions of that Nova 7 cabinet in BassBox a bit, and those are actually significantly larger than my Nova 15's. They're a full cubic foot internally, that extra depth and slightly larger height and width make a huge difference. The DA215 will do much better in that cabinet than I have modeled in the design files. A 2" x 5" port should tune you to about 35Hz and get you down to 42Hz, Now we're talking.

Here are the design files for the Nova 15 cabinet. You'll need WinPCD to open the crossover model "Nova 2.csp". Upon opening you'll have to point it to the FRD and ZMA files for the woofer and tweeter, which I have saved as the part number with Sim. To get a true response model with your larger cabinet, you'll need to update the woofer response model by adjusting the "DA215-8 Woofer Response Modeler3.01" spreadsheet based on your cabinet volume. Then follow the steps to export the updated FRD and ZMA files, then extract minimum phase. I have those parts in my tutorial, but it's no doubt a bit of learning.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music

Comment

Thanks for the time and effort you're putting into this. I'm all for the learning. Given the difference in size of our respective cabinets do you feel like the design will still be a good fit or would I be better suited to use one of the others I mentioned originally? I'm good either way if you feel like it's a good fit. I'm also in good shape for those reference drivers (ended up selling my old 5.1 to a buddy)... Now that you already sent over the nova2 file. I'll see about that software this weekend.

Comment

Actually with a box that big the RS180 makes less sense, it ends up running into exertion issues at 10W in the 40-50Hz range. The DA215 woofer works better in the bigger box and will keep under control up to 30W at 50Hz. Here are the screens from BassBox showing what I'm talking about.

No worries about the time. I've worked on these designs for a while and am sort of excited that one of these may make it to reality before I get a chance to do it myself.
        Attached Files
        Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
        Wogg Music

Comment

Very cool. Nova2 it is then.

Comment

Working...
          X