Right speaker design for Realistic Nova 7b cabinets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wogg View Post

​Actually, it looks like 2" X 4" port is a better match. There's a pretty wide range of lengths that will work in that, just depends on how you want the bass response to shape. Tuning lower, from 4-5" will give you the extended bass shelf, losing a little sensitivity for a little deeper bass. Tuning from 3-4" will start bringing up the 50Hz region, which may be pretty punchy for rock drums and what not. That would work better if you're pulling these away from walls and corners a bit.
    Cool. I'll mess around with the different lengths then. These will likely be away from the walls/corners.

Comment

I did an adjustment to my modeling files to see how the larger baffle would work and include the larger box. The crossover will work pretty well, I did change the resistor padding a bit though by just eliminating the 1 ohm resistor after the network.

​This should be easier to follow than the WinPCD screens:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1358177[/ATTACH]

​Should result in a response and impedance like this:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1358178[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1358179[/ATTACH]

​The impedance dips a little low for an 8 ohm speaker up there in the 2 - 8K area, but that shouldn't be a problem for any amps. The impedance down low where most of your power will go is well above 8 ohms, real easy to drive.
      Here's my rough layout for the crossover. It's ugly, I know, but hopefully I got it right. Any corrections/suggestions? Also, does the inside/outside connection on the inductors make any difference?

Comment

That should be fine. You could lay that air core down, since the iron core is already horizontal but they're far enough away that it shouldn't make much of a difference. And no, the inside / outside polarity of the inductor connections make no difference at all. Also, zip tie those inductors down to the board if you weren't planning on that already.

I'll take an ugly and correct crossover over a pretty and mis-wired one any day
        Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
        Wogg Music

Comment

That should be fine. You could lay that air core down, since the iron core is already horizontal but they're far enough away that it shouldn't make much of a difference. And no, the inside / outside polarity of the inductor connections make no difference at all. Also, zip tie those inductors down to the board if you weren't planning on that already.

I'll take an ugly and correct crossover over a pretty and mis-wired one any day

Right on, thanks. Doing some circle cutting in the new baffles now.

Comment

LOOKs like the woofer cap is laid out in the right spot, but just LOOKs wrong in your drawing (the cap should be IN the leg running to gnd - basically putting it in parallel w/the woofer).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
              LOOKs like the woofer cap is laid out in the right spot, but just LOOKs wrong in your drawing (the cap should be IN the leg running to gnd - basically putting it in parallel w/the woofer).
              Ok, thanks. My drawing is probably wrong, the way I have it is just my understanding of the crossover diagram that wogg posted. It's likely that I'm misunderstanding the way things need to be. My plan was to join the 5.1 cap with the smaller inductor and the ground leads while joining the other end of the 5.1 with the larger inductor and small cap then running a lead from there to the woofer. I was kind of doing the same thing on the tweeter side, joining the other end of the small inductor with that cap and running a lead from there to the tweeter. Is this incorrect? Thanks for your help.

Comment

So, rookie mistake. I didn't flip the offset for the tweeter on my second baffle... hopefully I'm not the only one that's done this. How much will it affect the sound? I'm making new grills for them so visually I'm not concerned about it but if it's a significant difference soundwise I'll make another baffle.

Comment

Originally posted by hittheskids View Post
                  So, rookie mistake. I didn't flip the offset for the tweeter on my second baffle... hopefully I'm not the only one that's done this. How much will it affect the sound? I'm making new grills for them so visually I'm not concerned about it but if it's a significant difference soundwise I'll make another baffle.
                  Gee, I really liked the original grills ...

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                    Gee, I really liked the original grills ...
                    So lets say I'm planning on reusing the originals 🙄... would it be appropriate/necessary to do a new baffle? I'm actually not against trying to reuse those but with the way the new baffle sits those original grills stick out quite far and look a bit off.

Comment

You're OK. My (vintage) LARGE ADVE\TS offset the tweeter, and they're NOT in "mirrored" pairs.
                      Those orig. grills look pretty cool, but won't do you any favors, sound-wise.
                      Your description of the XO layout is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                        You're OK. My (vintage) LARGE ADVE\TS offset the tweeter, and they're NOT in "mirrored" pairs.
                        Those orig. grills look pretty cool, but won't do you any favors, sound-wise.
                        Your description of the XO layout is correct.

Awesome. Thanks Chris.

Comment

Looking great!

At the listening point I imaging the baffle signature will be ever so slightly different due to the offset, but I doubt it will be the least bit noticable.
                          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                          Wogg Music

Comment

With regard to the Zaph BAMTM sealed you mentioned in your first post, your baffle is too wide so that won't work without some crossover changes.

Just keep in mind the key things to look at are the baffle width and volume. Normally changes to the height and depth of the box are not problems..

Comment

So lets say I'm planning on reusing the originals 🙄... would it be appropriate/necessary to do a new baffle? I'm actually not against trying to reuse those but with the way the new baffle sits those original grills stick out quite far and look a bit off.
                              Maybe not. Your new baffles look like they fit into the existing cabinet, not on front of it. So you would need to recess them the appropriate depth. That would add diffraction issues on top of the square edges.

it really depends on how important it is to you to have the retro look.

Comment

I was able to finish these up over the last few days. Thanks to everyone that chimed in and a big thank you to wogg for providing the design and helping me get through this project! I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out, both aesthectically and soundwise. I'm too inexperienced to provide a meaningful listening impression but I've been able to get through a good amount of alt rock/rock, some bass heavy instrumentals, and some jazz and I'm all smiles with what I'm hearing so far!

The grills turned out better then I expected as this was my first attempt at building a pair and my tolerances aren't quite where they should be. I purchased some of the less expensive grill cloth from PE when they had it on sale over the holidays. I new it would be a little see-through from the reviews so I attempted to darken up the mdf for both the baffles and the griils a bit before I installed the cloth. I thought the cloth was pretty easy to work with and I'm happy with the way it looks on the grills and cabinets. While the cloth is definitely not pitch black I can only see the silver from that Dayton woofer through it.

I was planning on dedicating my turntable to this setup if I liked the sound I ended up with so that's still the plan once I get the right furniture/stands in place. I've also got a heck of a hum from my turntable I need to figure out along the way. I have a slight hum with my current setup for that tt but it's heavy as can be when I switched it over to the new receiver/speakers. Thanks again, wogg - I'm real excited about these!

Comment

Working...
                                X