Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What drivers do you wish Dayton would create?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What drivers do you wish Dayton would create?

    My wished for:

    1. Dayton ATC SM75-150S 3" dome midrange equivalent
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...idrange-driver
    Legendary status. There is literally no equivalent, has a spider, 9KG ferrite motor, 387/$480 each, and around 20 years old. I am sure with 20 years advancement in computer technology & Neodymium it's possible match or exceed this. By the way that price is outrageous.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	atc-sm75-150-midrange-475-p.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1331916

    2. Fabric dome RS52
    Personally I have nothing against the RS52 other than its large flange. Still I would love to see a fabric dome version. Please keep the wire mesh it looks cool.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	285-020_HR_0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	1331915
    3. Dayton Raal equivalent
    Shouldn't be too difficult to offer the performance at a fraction of the cost? Hardest part would be finding a high quality transformer that's truly worthy.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	385829-raal_ribbon_tweeter_7020xr_for_diy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1331914

  • #2
    Dayton PS115-8. The PS95 is a great little speaker. Give me the same premise with larger cone and a little more low end.
    "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

    The Madeleine
    The Roxster
    Swopes 5.0
    Acoustic Panels
    Living Room Make Over

    Comment


    • #3
      A 4" 8ohm dedicated midrange with 90+ dB efficiency - similar to the Audax HM100Z0
      It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Krillin View Post
        2. Fabric dome RS52
        Personally I have nothing against the RS52 other than its large flange. Still I would love to see a fabric dome version. Please keep the wire mesh it looks cool.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1331915[/ATTACH]
        A fabric dome RS52 would be nice, especially if they can make the flange a bit smaller, or at least truncated. I'd also like to see a RS28 with a waveguide flange, similar to the ND25FW. Also maybe a new Esoteric tweeter?
        "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away." -Tom Waits

        Comment


        • #5
          This is a question I've asked myself a million times ,what would it take to put Dayton in the same league as the other guys . Dayton could come up with the best dome tweeter, best ribbon tweeter , best dome mid , best cone mid and best woofers that all could cross easily to each other and still would not get the credit they deserve because they are Dayton ,generic ,not flashy . the RS28A and PM180 are perfect examples , both are great yet under rated though they review well .
          donc

          Comment


          • #6
            There are some good values in the Dayton line and a lot of choices. The only thing that seems to be missing are some dedicated cone midrange drivers.
            John H

            SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

            Comment


            • #7
              though not a dedicated mid , the PM180 is highly recommended as a mid by Jeff B . high SPL with better sound quality and crosses higher than pro drivers .
              donc

              Comment


              • #8
                Ohhhhh another list thread.

                Dayton is doing just fine now that they are doing less emulation and more innovation. Best QC in the business bar none.
                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by donc View Post
                  This is a question I've asked myself a million times ,what would it take to put Dayton in the same league as the other guys . Dayton could come up with the best dome tweeter, best ribbon tweeter , best dome mid , best cone mid and best woofers that all could cross easily to each other and still would not get the credit they deserve because they are Dayton ,generic ,not flashy . the RS28A and PM180 are perfect examples , both are great yet under rated though they review well .
                  donc
                  I have to disagree. I don't know who "the other guys" are or what your perception of them is, but Dayton caters to the DIY market and I think most of the DIY community holds them in very high regard for providing excellent price to performance ratios. How exactly are the RS28A and PM180 under-rated?
                  "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away." -Tom Waits

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Krillin View Post
                    My wished for:

                    1. Dayton ATC SM75-150S 3" dome midrange equivalent
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...idrange-driver
                    Legendary status. There is literally no equivalent, has a spider, 9KG ferrite motor, 387/$480 each, and around 20 years old. I am sure with 20 years advancement in computer technology & Neodymium it's possible match or exceed this. By the way that price is outrageous.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1331916[/ATTACH]

                    2. Fabric dome RS52
                    Personally I have nothing against the RS52 other than its large flange. Still I would love to see a fabric dome version. Please keep the wire mesh it looks cool.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1331915[/ATTACH]
                    3. Dayton Raal equivalent
                    Shouldn't be too difficult to offer the performance at a fraction of the cost? Hardest part would be finding a high quality transformer that's truly worthy.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1331914[/ATTACH]
                    And yet there are no equivalent ribbon tweeters to the RAAL from Fountek, Raven, LCY, or Aurum Cantus. Maybe it's not so easy. The ribbon element in the RAAL is every bit as important as the transformer.

                    That tweeter pictured above is usable to just below 2KHz, quite unusual for a true ribbon.

                    A neo motor version of the RS52 with a small flange would be interesting in either silk or metal dome variants.
                    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

                    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51


                    95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                      A neo motor version of the RS52 with a small flange would be interesting in either silk or metal dome variants.
                      The RS52 already has a neo motor.
                      "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away." -Tom Waits

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I want to see Dayton come up with something better than the Scanspeak Revelator line. It is amazing to me that 20 years later drivers like the Revelator 15W is still considered a top dog driver. Like come on, we can do better than this. But of course, they won't do it because it doesn't make financial sense to do the R&D to appreciatively beat a Revelator woofer.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bcodemz View Post
                          I want to see Dayton come up with something better than the Scanspeak Revelator line. It is amazing to me that 20 years later drivers like the Revelator 15W is still considered a top dog driver. Like come on, we can do better than this. But of course, they won't do it because it doesn't make financial sense to do the R&D to appreciatively beat a Revelator woofer.
                          Define "better". The Revelator has set the bar for so many years as a design of "perfect compromise", an excellent marriage of motor design and soft parts to create an extraordinarily musical speaker. But there is "better" depending on what your criteria is. The Esoteric line may be "better" in fact if you can deal with a few dB loss of sensitivity. I think if the Revelator line were released today there'd be a bunch of people complaining about the horrid breakup haha!
                          "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away." -Tom Waits

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                            Define "better". The Revelator has set the bar for so many years as a design of "perfect compromise", an excellent marriage of motor design and soft parts to create an extraordinarily musical speaker. But there is "better" depending on what your criteria is. The Esoteric line may be "better" in fact if you can deal with a few dB loss of sensitivity. I think if the Revelator line were released today there'd be a bunch of people complaining about the horrid breakup haha!
                            Even more musical and less distortion. Certain things like bass extension is governed by simple physics. However, the sound quality of a driver is determined by motor design, cone, suspension, voice coil, spider, frame design, etc. All of those can be improved to deliver greater sound quality. Will it be expensive? That's very likely

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The Revelator doped-paper 15W is a reference and bar that is hard to surpass without a lot of R&D. It sounds great, is relatively easy to use, and digs deep in 15 ltrs (deeper than most others that play as high anyway). It also has very low HD to start with. I agree with dcibel in that it is a perfect set of compromises.

                              I'd like to hear the Neo version of it, but I can't stomach its cost myself...

                              Later,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                              *InDIYana event website*

                              Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

                              My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X