Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What drivers do you wish Dayton would create?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diamond tweeters at a fraction of the cost from the synthetic diamond process!!

Comment

Improve Dayton's technology and manufacturing to match or surpass the Tang Band W8-1772 full range SPL curves on the two Dayton 8" full range drivers, PS220-8 with whizzer and PM220-8 with open mesh dust cap.

Comment

12 ohm woofers. It wd be cool to replicate/create a 3 woofer design a la magico or sonus faber.

Larger carbon fibre cone offerings ie expand the CF range. Also a 9" version of the ES180ti and/or similar style woven cone RSS subs.

Comment

Here's my list. Feel free to tell me why these can't exist.

1. A really good cone tweeter of high efficiency. The Vifa TC7 makes a fine tweeter - for $8, the best you can arguably buy - but it's trading efficiency for bass extension that is simply not required.
          2. A woofer designed for an acoustic suspension alignment - low Fs, loose suspension, just like those old KLH designs. Power is cheap, and a 7" woofer in a small sealed box would be a great product.
          3. A dome tweeter in a really big oval waveguide. The RS28 seems to work superbly well for this - one design crossed it to an 8" sub!.
          4. A miniDSP knock-off. (I recall seeing this already somewhere on the forums in DIY form?)
          5. 3/4" line array driver modules. Y'know, like the ones you used to sell.
          6. Low(ish) noise SMPS power supplies of various sizes. Mean Well makes some for very little money, but I've no idea which is which.
          7. Sanwu amplifier modules. They seem to test quite well, and they're very inexpensive.
          8. A replacement for the Tang-Band stuff you can't get at sane prices anymore.

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
          Ohhhhh another list thread.

Dayton is doing just fine now that they are doing less emulation and more innovation. Best QC in the business bar none.
          Some of the Designer Series products have pretty significant issues.

Comment

That's easy - a cheaper ($35 max) neo-based compression driver with screw and bolt-on options.
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

I like the idea of a dedicated cone mid.

Comment

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
                Larger carbon fibre cone offerings ie expand the CF range. Also a 9" version of the ES180ti and/or similar style woven cone RSS subs.
                I'm surprised I have not seen the ES140 paired with the UM8 or UM10 in a 3-way.

Later,
                Wolf

"Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I'd like to see a home hifi oriented compression driver- something designed for distortion and response smoothness on a specific waveguide, with potentially low(ish) power handling (makes the design criteria more flexible and we don't need high power handling for home).

Some larger format horns/drivers at a budget pricepoint would be helpful. Perhaps a dual-horn M/T system a la JBL's cinema systems?

Comment

Midwoofers that can play as low as the DC160 can in such a small cab, but with a nicer-looking frame.
                    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                    Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

8-15 inch compression driver type coaxials with low distortion motors and smooth output.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

I'm surprised I have not seen the ES140 paired with the UM8 or UM10 in a 3-way.

Later,
                        Wolf
                        The 2+2 ohm coils /sensitivity isnt that easy to work with (home audio)

Comment

Originally posted by Krillin View Post
                          My wished for:

1. Dayton ATC SM75-150S 3" dome midrange equivalent
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...idrange-driver
                          Legendary status. There is literally no equivalent, has a spider, 9KG ferrite motor, 387/$480 each, and around 20 years old. I am sure with 20 years advancement in computer technology & Neodymium it's possible match or exceed this. By the way that price is outrageous.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1331916[/ATTACH]
                          I'd be happy if PE would just buy a batch of TangBand 75-1558SE's. That's your affordable ATC killer right there.
                          ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
                          DriverVault

Comment

Originally posted by donc View Post
                            This is a question I've asked myself a million times ,what would it take to put Dayton in the same league as the other guys. Dayton could come up with the best dome tweeter, best ribbon tweeter , best dome mid , best cone mid and best woofers that all could cross easily to each other and still would not get the credit they deserve because they are Dayton ,generic ,not flashy . the RS28A and PM180 are perfect examples , both are great yet under rated though they review well .
                            donc
                            1) If you truly want the crown sometimes you need to look the part too. Remember you are spending $100-$250 per woofer. Which would you rather have a Usher 8948A or a Revelator 15W8530-K00? Scan-Speak 7000 or Vifa XT25 tweeter? Very comparable performance but the Usher and Vifa despite their state of the art performance will never garner the same respect. Look the part, marketing-101 below:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC4276A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1332038 Click image for larger version

Name:	rev_800_fst_1.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1332039 Click image for larger version

Name:	16166889298_d4dab89d3e_b.jpg
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	1332040
                            2) A cohesive lineup. The Dayton PM or Esoteric series performance may be astounding but success comes from having a whole lineup of similar drivers. Much like the current Dayton Reference, Seas Excel, Scanspeak Revelator/Illuminator lines. Sometimes people want their 3-ways to match.
                            3) Designs! How many times have I thought if only the Rohacell SB17CRC35-4 or Dayton Esoteric had a proven TM/TMW design. If no one is building perhaps the manufacturer could design a kit or DIY plan from a respected designer. The profit would likely outdo the fee.

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                            I have to disagree. I don't know who "the other guys" are or what your perception of them is, but Dayton caters to the DIY market and I think most of the DIY community holds them in very high regard for providing excellent price to performance ratios. How exactly are the RS28A and PM180 under-rated?
                            True. The Dayton reference drivers are like getting a Porsche 911 for the price of a Honda Civic and everyone knows it too. Although, only a few Daytons perform like a Bugatti. The Esoteric's being one of them.

As far as the Esoteric series goes I see a very nice looking woofer but I think people shy away from it because of three reasons:
                            1) The high Le. Although a great explanation of why that is and its negligible impact on posts #23, #34 of the link below.
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...esoteric/page2
                            2) The low sensitivity. This appears to be intentional though for MTM or TMM use. Apparently by having a solid 8-ohm design it makes an easier load on the amplifier when doubled up. But on the other hand discourages TM and TMW use and a 4-ohm version would help remediate this.
                            3) Somewhat ragged frequency response. At this price range given the competition a woofer that is a crossover's dream. Perhaps poly cone?
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20140815_940800.jpg
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	1332042 Click image for larger version

Name:	295-395_ALT_3.jpg
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	1332041
                            Last edited by Krillin; 06-23-2017, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by augerpro View Post

I'd be happy if PE would just buy a batch of TangBand 75-1558SE's. That's your affordable ATC killer right there.

Yes, but doesn't the ATC have a lot more xmax allowing a lower and smoother crossover? Like 3mm vs 1.45mm?

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
                                Some of the Designer Series products have pretty significant issues.
                                Perhaps from a measured performance standpoint, but their unit to unit consistency that I have seen is outstanding.

I would like to see a cone tweeter come back - they are just cool looking.
                                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Working...
                                X