Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What drivers do you wish Dayton would create?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
    The 2+2 ohm coils /sensitivity isnt that easy to work with (home audio)
    Nope, not easy, but possible. I did use the um12s in three ways (Trinity build). Yes, very low sensitivity but man did they dig deep!
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

One thing I would like to see is a quad coil woofer/sub with good T/S parameters to operate sealed. During development of the Indium 7, I read a fair amount about the Watkins woofer and would like to try the approach. With quad 2 ohm coils, one could wire to get a 6 ohm and 2 ohm signal path. The concept is that you run the woofer off of the higher impedance coil, but have the low impedance coil connected to a notch filter that only allows current through around the resonant frequency of the woofer.
      Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Argon | Helium | Lithium | LithMTM | Hafnium
      Mercury | Matrix | Shrubbery

Comment

Originally posted by Krillin View Post

Yes, but doesn't the ATC have a lot more xmax allowing a lower and smoother crossover? Like 3mm vs 1.45mm?
        Just because it is more linear, and may have more Xmax does not mean it will play lower. It does mean it will player louder though.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post

Nope, not easy, but possible. I did use the um12s in three ways (Trinity build). Yes, very low sensitivity but man did they dig deep!
          Sounds v cool. I guess you've seen these, rather gorgeous (can almost forgive a stamped steel basket)https://www.parts-express.com/morel-...oofer--297-134

Comment

Originally posted by bill poster View Post

Sounds v cool. I guess you've seen these, rather gorgeous (can almost forgive a stamped steel basket)https://www.parts-express.com/morel-...oofer--297-134
            Yep, seen those and used a version in a car audio install some time ago.
            https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post

Yep, seen those and used a version in a car audio install some time ago.
              Spill the beans .how do they sound? Guessing this new version is a lowered spec in some way (judging by price)

Comment

I think we can all agree that PE should house-brand the Tang Band giant dome midrange. Bonus points if they sell it with an ovoid or rectangular frame so we can get the driver spacing closer.

A midrange cone driver optimized for waveguides is also a solid idea. Someone stuffed a Fountek 2" unit in a horn, and the results were highly impressive, though the efficiency was still quite poor.

I do recall that WmAx measured the midrange from the Infinity Primus 3-ways. ~90dB efficient, very reasonable distortion, and it was $12 or so when they'd still sell you one. I could see a knockoff driver being a phenomenal seller.

Also, way at the top of the list are Sanwu amp modules, which perform quite well and are a bit hard to source because there's inferior knock-offs flying around. ALIexpress will sell me a TPA3116 mono module for $6; I'd gladly pay $9 just to guarantee I wasn't getting a dud.

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post

Perhaps from a measured performance standpoint, but their unit to unit consistency that I have seen is outstanding.

I would like to see a cone tweeter come back - they are just cool looking.

I've seen some complaints of consistency and frustration with really flimsy frames. A swap for a nice glass-filled plastic frame and some QC would likely mend it.

Of course, there's also the RS line for a little bit more money.

Comment

Well after much searching and frustration I have come up with a new list. Mostly PC speakers related.

1) 2.1 PC speaker amp - A good computer speaker amp with a sub-woofer crossover of 80hz. Or variable between 80-150hz. Solid 4-ohm support for satellites.
                  2) Dayton KAB 2.1 board - Make a KAB version of the mini 2.1 class D amp with a low crossover point. I'm thinking 2.1 with 50W stereo and 50W for the sub. And a higher power 50W + 100W sub.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	2.1 dayton amp.gif
Views:	1
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1336450 Click image for larger version

Name:	dayton KAB.gif
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1336449
                  3) 2.1 preamp for PC audio - A cheap preamp with a subwoofer output and level adjustment. Next to nothing exists for a pre-amp with a sub output in DIY or commercial. Well technically there is but there is only so much I will pay for a PC speaker setup. My Nelson Pass B1 buffer is useless for PC audio use.
                  4) Mono amp with built in active crossover - An amplifier with a built in active crossover for the tweeter. Solen had an AP-016A (2khz crossover) and the AP-016B (2.7khz) crossover. Both now NLA. Dayton needs to come up with something similar for under $60
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	solen amp.jpg
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1336448
                  Specifications: AP-016B
                  High Frequency Power Output @ 8ohms/4ohms 15W / 30W
                  Low Frequency Power Output @ 8ohms/4ohms 40W / 80W
                  THD 0.03%
                  4th order (24db) X-over 2.7KHz
                  Weight 5.7lbs/2.6kgs
                  Dimensions W x H x D 137mm x 218mm x 81mm
                  Cutout W x H 108mm x 190mm
                  Bass EQ at 40Hz 4dB switchable
                  Volume Main Variable
                  Volume HF Variable
                  Volume LF Variable

Comment

Doped cone and higher Qms version of the RS p woofer series. I bought an RS180p 4 and coated the cone with PVA. With the better dynamics from a non aluminum voice coil this might be better sounding than the SB Acoustics paper cone and the Scanspeak Discovery series. I am very surprised how good it sounds and I own SB Acoustics and Scanspeak discovery woofer as well.

Comment

I'd like to see the ND series expanded upon a bit, perhaps a 6.5 and 8 inch woofer/subwoofer. To compete with some of the tangband subs that are so popular for digging deep in a small space.
                      My modest builds:
                      Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                      Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                      Armadillo Center Channel
                      Au-Rock-O Sub
                      Tarkus
                      Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Now that you bring up the ND series how about one with a frame we don't have to hide.
                        John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Bumped backplates on the RS drivers.
                          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Waveguide faceplates for the RS28 tweeters scaled for 4-5" or 6-7" woofers (2-way or 3-way).
                            8" Esoteric
                            --
                            "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

I wish Dayton would get serious about there exciters and create at least a 100 watt RMS exciter.....also more 8ohm exciters like a 8ohm Ultra and Thruster that are more durable.....also I want to see the smaller exciters built better with higher quality and power handling like a 13mm high steered flux exciter that can handle 10 watts or more at 8ohms.

Comment

I wish Dayton would get serious about there exciters and create at least a 100 watt RMS high shove exciter.....also more 8ohm exciters like a 8ohm Ultra, Thruster and high steered flux that are more durable.....also I want to see the smaller exciters built better with higher quality and power handling like a 13mm high steered flux exciter that can handle 10 watts or more at 8ohms.

Comment

Working...
                                X