Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the best woofer/tweeters for outdoor use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the best woofer/tweeters for outdoor use?

I'd like to make some outdoor speakers that could be left outside year around, rain, snow or shine. The speakers (or all components) themselves would not be exposed to the elements directly. I don't see any that are specifically rated for outdoor use on PE, so does anyone know the best options? My first thought was an aluminum cone woofer and tweeter, followed by poly woofers.

More info as to application, sub or not, output needed. there are plenty of existing designs that are fine for outdoor use

Comment

I would be looking for single piece Aluminum cone woofer that works well in a sealed enclosure. Then, a metal dome tweeter with some kind of protective grill.

The Dayton ND140 woofer with ND25Ta tweeter fit the descriptions and should work well in a 7-10 liter sealed enclosure. The only downside is low efficiency, which could addressed with a larger enclosure and more woofers.
      Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Argon | Helium | Lithium | LithMTM | Hafnium
      Mercury | Matrix | Shrubbery

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
        More info as to application, sub or not, output needed. there are plenty of existing designs that are fine for outdoor use
        Thinking of using 6" PVC, maybe even 8" with a dome on the top. I want an open sound, not directional. Didn't want to seal them so I'd have better bass response yet I haven't figured how to port them either. Well, I have ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by breadfan View Post

Thinking of using 6" PVC, maybe even 8" with a dome on the top. I want an open sound, not directional. Didn't want to seal them so I'd have better bass response yet I haven't figured how to port them either. Well, I have ideas.
          You *want* a directional outdoor speaker. An wide dispersion speaker sounds terrible outdoors. More specially, you want a speaker with a very narrow vertical dispersion to reduce reflections from the ground, which kills sound quality. A waveguided or coaxial speaker is your best bet.

Comment

Classix ii (for inspiration if needed)
            Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Some guy built an Overnite Sensation project to look like a birdhouse for outdoor use, check it out on Paul C's website.

Comment

Tang Band has recently brought this driver out touted as an extra-rugged design: https://www.parts-express.com/tang-b...2-ohm--264-964

If the spec sheet/frequency graph are to be believed, it has half decent upper-end response for a larger driver. It might be a bit big for what you're considering, though.

If you're not hooked on DIY'ing these, might I suggest a pair of these Daytons: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...black--310-004
                They come in white and black, and they have a bigger-brother with a 6.5" woofer. The smaller ones in the link sound pretty nice and have what I would describe as a 'full' sound with enough bass to be realistic sounding. I installed them on my sister's patio near her pool and they've been there close to a year in the sun and still work fine. I imagine white ones would be a bit cooler and may last longer.
                Just a thought. Personally, I think it would be hard to beat these for the cost.

TomZ
                *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                  Some guy built an Overnite Sensation project to look like a birdhouse for outdoor use, check it out on Paul C's website.
                  I build some of these and thought they'd make a good outdoor set up in the right enclosure, hence the PVC.

Comment

Working...
                  X