Continuous veneer over sharp edges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuous veneer over sharp edges

I've searched the forum, but of course "veneer" brings up a huge amount of hits and after reading a few dozen, I thought it might be best to just ask again.

I've got some experience doing veneer on speaker cabinets, but would like to know the methods for getting an exotic veneer to wrap over a "sharp" edge on, say, a planed 1x4, 4-6 feet long. Can this be done parallel to the grain with a veneer softener or is it just better to cut it into strips and wrap the edges separately? The material is Rosewood, if it matters. I haven't chosen the type. The finish will be a natural stained gloss lacquer.

I will be getting a vacuum press for this job. am looking for the most professional results, not the cheapest. Thanks, everyone.

Usually with real wood veneer even with a softener you don't want to do much less than a 1" radius for wrapping around an edge. WIth a sharp corner you're just going to split your veneer.
    ----------------------------------
    Gear:
    Samsung PN50A650
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    Hafler DH-200
    AC130MKII/BG NEO3PDR Two-Ways
    RS390HF-4 w/ HPSA500

Comment

I'm not sure you could do less than 3 inch radius across the grain (perpendicular). I've done 3/4 inch with the grain (parallel).
      John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Okay, thank you.

Comment

So veneer each face, then rout a 1/4" by 1/4" rabbet, and put in 1/4" by 1/4" hardwood, maybe even a contrasting color wood. I bet that would look really good.
          It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

Something like this?

Comment

You'll never bend it around. You'll have to cut and trim the veneer to go around each edge. It will take careful planning beforehand. If you're skilled and attentive, it can look continuous.

Comment

Ive never tried but I have seen the guys at Planet10 hifi wrap veneer around large chamfers. Its not 90 but two close 45s. I didnt think it was possible but the veneer held up just fine. They used paper backed though and Im not sure you'll easily find paper backed rosewood.
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...can-4-x-8.html

Comment

Originally posted by s7horton View Post
                    Something like this?
                    Are those corners cut or folded over the edge? I'd be very worried about splitting to fold veneer over a sharp edge.
                    Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                      Are those corners cut or folded over the edge? I'd be very worried about splitting to fold veneer over a sharp edge.
                      Cut.

Comment

Something like this?
                        Yes, exactly like this. Thank you.

Comment

Something like this?
                          What species of veneer is that and is it real wood or composite. Very nice job lining up the grain it is beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                            What species of veneer is that and is it real wood or composite. Very nice job lining up the grain it is beautiful.
                            It's real wood. East indian rosewood unbacked veneer with a lacquer finish. That picture was a close up of Jeff Bagby's Spiritwind that I built.

Comment

Working...
                            X