OT anyone else a "farmer"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post

​Yeah, I was thinking of putting on my Elmer Fud hat and having me some wabbit but since the lettuce and spinach are gone they have not been a problem.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kqNgOkecSE

Comment

I'm about to become one; received this as a Father's Day gift: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0189...M2L&ref=plSrch

Comment

Originally posted by jclin4 View Post
        I'm about to become one; received this as a Father's Day gift: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0189...M2L&ref=plSrch
        ​John, there are kits available for Alice in wonderland mushrooms . Legal to buy the spores but finished product is illegal, "Go ask Alice"

Comment

Interesting, Mike. Sounds 'fringe'. Also, just remembered we had a Chia Pet long time ago. That provided some amusement

Comment

My father in law gave us an oyster mushroom grow kit a few years ago. It was awesome, but i noticed i had developed some respiratory cough/irritation/phlegm thing. I looked at the instructions and it mentioned some people might be sensitive to the spores. The spores are very tiny and go airborne. We took the think out to the garage and no more problem.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, will keep eyes/nose open to any sensitivity issues. I just opened and got the kit started last night.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn View Post
                Just peppers this year, 45-50 plants. Two Carolina Reapers, hope they are real Sometimes the rabbits get into to them, but so far this year they are ok.
                I was tempted to plant some Reapers this year and then I came to my senses. Seriously now, I hope you do have some luck with them and they are the genuine item.

shawn
                My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Comment

Small garden with several types of tomatoes, trying san marzano's for pizza sauce this year, green and red peppers, green beans, and a couple of oriental cucumbers.

I cant say how much my garden cost me per year, but after reading the " $64 Tomatoe: A Quest for the Perfect Garden" book my daughter gave me a few years ago I began to wonder how much those homegrown tomatoes actually did cost.

The book is about a home gardener that calculated after buying tools, making and fencing in the garden, fighting off critters and bugs, soil amendments, fertilizers\chemicals, etc., each tomato wound up costing him about $64.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5360768

That said, homegrown tomatoes always seem to be the best.

Comment

Tools and Fencing are investments that aren't purchased every year. Soil can be built up to minimize amendments.
                    Poor country folks couldn't afford gardens otherwise.
                    Homegrown 'maters are better
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWwyhCVBDg
                    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by shawn_a View Post

I was tempted to plant some Reapers this year and then I came to my senses. Seriously now, I hope you do have some luck with them and they are the genuine item.

shawn
                      I hope so too. I bought them in plant form this time, from the same place I bought Naga Vipers from previously, and those were genuine. Ill probably make pepper flakes from them.

Comment

Shrooms!

Comment

Used to be a farmer. Our family operation cultivated a little over 2,000 acres at its peak. Soybeans, rice, wheat, cotton, and weeds. It was always feast or famine - mostly famine. I really miss the independence, the sense of accomplishment, and the sense of pride with a job well done. Seven days a week, from 7am until sundown, with midnight runs during irrigation season. The intense labor was the easy part. But the ever-increasing costs of chemicals, fertilizer, equipment, and insurance was just more than we could bear. I have friends who are still in the business, but the ownership role bears little resemblance to what it used to be. We literally ran our business out of a shoebox accounting system. Now, owners spend little time on the farm, instead sweating over computers, spreadsheets, bank meetings, government reporting, and accountant conferences. And if government support payments were taken away, all of them would go out of business tomorrow.

A fellow farmer friend, now retired, works part time for a younger farmer with a 4,000+ acre operation. The tractors are mobile computers reading out fuel useage, all engine and implement functions, gps guidance (which literally drives the tractors/combines/pickers thru the fields), and crop data. The computer, for instance, uses gps data to turn fertilize and insecticide applicators on and off only where needed in a field, as well as alerting to which areas need irrigation. This entire operation is as modern as they come. And the tractor's computer systems are locked so that even the owners cannot service them at all. The only maintenance allowed to the owner is changing oil, filters, and the like. (Big lawsuit ongoing.)

​And that's how big farming feels nowadays - isolated, numbers-driven, and little communion with the dirt. There's just no time anymore to simply sit on the tailgate of the pickup and smell the earth and the plants and roll up a little ball of mud between the fingers.

Me? My farming is now restricted to a dozen tomato plants grown in buckets on an elevated wooden pallet. (Keeps the critters out.) And those deep red orbs are simply delicious. That's all the farming I want nowadays.

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

Originally posted by jclin4 View Post
                            Shrooms!
                            John what do you plan on doing with those fine looking shrooms?

Comment

A lush garden and a quality air rifle go together like great music and premium drivers!

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                                John what do you plan on doing with those fine looking shrooms?
                                Hi Mike, I've already harvested and have been brushing them with olive oil and throwing them on the grill. Very tasty! I'm in the midst of preparing the log for the next 'flush': soaking it completely under water overnight and then wrapping in plastic and putting it in a dark place for 7 days.

Comment

Working...
                                X