No announcement yet.

MicroSat design plan - compact 2 way for integration with subwoofer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While the baffle finish discussion has popped up as a separate how to stain poplar thread, I've finished extensively priming the cabinets with filler prime, sanded down to a smooth 400, then rattle canned on 3 coats of gloss black.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-03 21.33.02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	1344077

​After these cure really well I'm going to try some light wet sanding, I've got some 600 on hand to start with. I'm going for somewhere between this and the Black Widow's piano sheen.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music

Comment

Those look pretty good already! Well done!

Comment

Trying out wet sanding for the first time. It turns out 600 grit is a bit harsh at this step, and I've exposed the primer a bit. So I'll go ahead and hit all sides with this 600 grit so I have even smoothness and hit it with another coat of gloss black. Then it's back to the store for something around 800 or 1000 grit.

Name:	2017-09-09 12.36.32.jpg
Size:	509.5 KB
ID:	1344625

On the bottom side I tested using some turtle wax rubbing compound for further smoothing, followed by NuFinish (auto stuff) for gloss. Not too bad, pretty easy. These aren't going to turn out deep piano gloss, but a consistent flawless sheen is definitely possible and what I'll be going for.
        Wogg Music

Comment

Now that I have my baffles sorted, mostly... I'm back to playing with wet sanding and polishing the cabinets. After the re-paint, I'm doing some experimentation on the bottom surface again. This time I have 1000 grit to wet sand with, and I tested the other cabinet with just the rubbing compound to see if that would do on it's own.

Name:	2017-09-18 19.14.58.jpg
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	1345685

The top portion was wet sanded, then rubbed. The bottom portion just rubbed. I like the wet sanding much better, far more flat. The trick for me will be to avoid going overboard and showing that primer again. This is another case where I'll have to suppress my OCD and leave a few bits of texture.

I'm also going to get a drill mount polishing setup of some kind to cut down on the sweat, there's a lot of elbow grease involved in this process. I remember why I never wax my car now.
          Wogg Music

Comment

Working...
          X