No announcement yet.

Current 2.1 amps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul, I have been on an exhaustive search for 6 months for a really solid 2.1 amp. I have been building 2.1 wifi and bluetooth models only to be disappointed when i fired them up due to the amp. My typical set up has been 2 full range (PS95, RS100, FE85, etc) and a sub (W5 like in your voxel and W4 like in your Speedsters). You asked about Nobsound, very good product. Possibly the best I have found in both quality and cost. You will find that Nobsound and Douk are the same company and are mostly available already in the US to ship. Douk has several amps for 2.1, but the one I bought was a newer updated version with better parts. You can also buy these with BT built in already. The one I have used most is linked below if I did that right.

Sound quality is very good. And a strong amp. It is a TPA3116 listed at 2x50 and 1x100. I am powering it with a 24v charger. While I am not getting anywhere near those numbers, it is VERY powerful. Subs are strong and rich. Stereo sounds great as well. Someone suggested the small HiFi board on PE, 2x15, 1x30 and that is an amazing little amp. The stereo channel is as clean as it gets. Very impressive. And you will need to search for Tom Zarbo's plate amp. He took that small amp and built a 4x4 plate amp with it. Added a 10k pot as well to manage the bass. Bass is to strong without being able to adjust it.

As you know just depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Douk amp is $40 and needs a more expensive 24v power supply. HiFi amp is $12 and I use a 12v 5a power supply. Smaller amp has better sound quality, TPA3116D2 is much stronger and has the stereo and bass adjustment built in.

I am trying this weekend 2-TDA7498's PE 320-606, running one 2x50 and 1 mono at 50 on the same power source. A little more complicated, but willing to try. If interested, I will let you know how it goes.

Could ramble on...but this has been my experience in searching for a solid 2.1.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by mmbone4 View Post
      [It is a TPA3116 listed at 2x50 and 1x100. I am powering it with a 24v charger. While I am not getting anywhere near those numbers, it is VERY powerful. Subs are strong and rich. Stereo sounds great as well.
      With a TPA3116 at 24 v, you get ~33 Wrms into 8 ohms and ~66 Wrms into 4 ohms. The only way to get 100 W is to have a 2 ohm sub.

Most TPA3116 implementations set the chip for 26 dB gain (e.g., 20x input to output). If you're input level is not high enough, you won't get the maximum watts. A PC/laptop line out usually drives them to full output. Phone outputs usually won't. They don't put out a high enough signal level.

Comment

This thread is really starting to deliver. Thank you very much mmbone4 for sharing your experience. Exactly the stuff I was looking for (and many others, I suspect)
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Paul, I remembered this thread and wanted to follow up on my experience with a 2.1 plate amp I just installed in a boom box build (Look up The Foam Core Forte in the Speaker Projects Forum). This amp is based on the TPA3118 class D chip. It has a crossover from 30-150hz, and separate bass and "main" volume controls as well. I confirmed the bass and main volume controls function independently, like most of the cheap 2.1 amps, but I got around this by using my phone as the source either plugged in directly via the RCA input or via an add-on Bluetooth receiver. I have to say it sounds fantastic! It's rated at 2x30 watts and 1x60 watts for the sub. I have it powering two CE65W-8's and a TB W3-1876S subwoofer with a 19.5V, 120W laptop power supply. As loud as I've dared to turn it up it hasn't distorted or overheated yet. Not a bad deal for about $30 on the big E auction site.
          Like my Dad always says, "I know enough to be dangerous!"

Comment

Good find! That's nuts that you get all that for $30.
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by jwjarch View Post
              Paul, I remembered this thread and wanted to follow up on my experience with a 2.1 plate amp I just installed in a boom box build (Look up The Foam Core Forte in the Speaker Projects Forum). This amp is based on the TPA3118 class D chip. It has a crossover from 30-150hz, and separate bass and "main" volume controls as well. I confirmed the bass and main volume controls function independently, like most of the cheap 2.1 amps, but I got around this by using my phone as the source either plugged in directly via the RCA input or via an add-on Bluetooth receiver. I have to say it sounds fantastic! It's rated at 2x30 watts and 1x60 watts for the sub. I have it powering two CE65W-8's and a TB W3-1876S subwoofer with a 19.5V, 120W laptop power supply. As loud as I've dared to turn it up it hasn't distorted or overheated yet. Not a bad deal for about $30 on the big E auction site.
              I recently bought one of these and want to use it with a c-note and voxel 2.1 system. I am hoping to give these out as gifts for tv use. Is there any way the volume could be remotely controlled?

Comment

Originally posted by Kered View Post

I recently bought one of these and want to use it with a c-note and voxel 2.1 system. I am hoping to give these out as gifts for tv use. Is there any way the volume could be remotely controlled?
                Check to see if the TV has L-R audio out. That may follow the TV's internal volume control.

Comment

Originally posted by jwjarch View Post
                  I picked one of these up out of curiosity, and after 20 min or so of loud playing, it was not overly warm... Best of all, the .1 bass section has MORE than enough power, AND a real adjustable crossover that appears to actually work. Sound quality is decent on a set of neo nanos and a 7" ported sub with a 19v4.5 amp ps. I'm more than impressed, I'm amazed! No idea on longevity, but initial use looks very promising. Yup, very nice find!
                  Wonder if PE would consider carrying this?
                  TomZ
                  *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                  *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Hey Tom, I did the same thing and ordered this amp after I saw the comment above. Hopefully will be here in a few days. How does this compare with your 2.1 plate amp (2x15 /1x60)? Love to know.

Michael

Comment

Hey Tom, I did the same thing and ordered this amp after I saw the comment above. Hopefully will be here in a few days. How does this compare with your 2.1 plate amp (2x15 /1x60)? Love to know.

Michael
                      Mike,
                      It's really got a bit more power I think. I just hooked it up to my iPod and played a few songs through it and can confirm that it plays a good bit louder than my 2.1 plate amp.
                      Plus, you can use this one as just a subwoofer plate amp with the switch on the back if you wanted. Mine just wouldn't be a good choice for that I don't think.

I actually have the main volume turned up louder than the subwoofer volume, which is not usually the case with these smaller 2.1 amps... what I've found is the sub section is usually a bit underpowered, but not in this one.

For size comparison, my amp is smaller at 4" x 4", this one is not a lot bigger, but it wouldn't fit in the small flat-pack cabinets PE sells for instance -- like the Quark-sized cabinets. Of course, this one is meant to live in a subwoofer because the only 'inside' connection is for the sub. So you'd have to so some cable jumping to get it to live in a L or R speaker like my 2.1 amp.

My Micro-B amp subwoofer section doesn't cross over low enough to quite make me happy, and it's of course not adjustable. This new one is adjustable and seems to be crossing at pretty close to what's stated on the dial. That alone amazes me. For what you get for the money, it's kind of cool.

I could see this used in the back of a 2.1 table radio with PE's new bluetooth preamp board on the front: https://www.parts-express.com/12-vdc...remot--320-348

That would make a nice, and fairly cheap combo. You'd just have to rig up a way to get power to both, knocking down the amps 19v to 12v for the preamp. Shouldn't be hard for the guru's on Tech Talk to figure out easily enough.

I bet you like it when you get it hooked up!

Again, I really hope PE picks this product up, if it's made decently enough to last, it would make a nice addition to their line of little amp boards.

TomZ
                      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Thanks Tom. Appreciate your taking the time to write this. Was hoping to use with inside L/R connections but looks more like a sub amp as you mentioned with its 2 channels on the outside. But look forward to playing with it. Still love the Micro-Plate amp...

Michael

Comment

Thanks Tom. Appreciate your taking the time to write this. Was hoping to use with inside L/R connections but looks more like a sub amp as you mentioned with its 2 channels on the outside. But look forward to playing with it. Still love the Micro-Plate amp...

Michael
                          Hey, is that a Helium boombox in your avatar?

Comment

Michael
                            Michael, if you're daring enough, you could solder direct to the board on the inside to get internal connections for L-R and even the power. It's a somewhat risky proposition but I think it's doable since everything is pretty clearly labeled on the PCB.

I had my little foam core boom box turned up all day yesterday, playing everything from classic rock, to Latin pop, to jazz. It never faltered or even got warm. Neither did my power supply. I'm still very impressed by this amp. I agree, Tom. Hope PE tries to add this amp to their lineup. It would sell like crazy. I'm debating between getting another one of these amps to power a set of Heliums and a Voxel Sub build I'm working on, or going with a TPA3116 2.1 I already have laying around. Maybe I have to do a side by side comparison. Either way I wouldn't mind having a spare one of these for a future build.
                            Like my Dad always says, "I know enough to be dangerous!"

Comment

Michael

You may be able to tap the L-R output from inside the external plate. Those connections are hidden by the PCB. But the picture doesn't have enough resolution to see how that PCB may be removed. It may be possible to tap the main PCD itself. I'd need to put a scope to be sure.

as is, you can always create detachable L-R speakers for stereo speration.

Comment

Great eye Jeff F, yes, that was my first ever build. I built it for my daughter. Have really been focusing on those type speakers for some time now. Mostly 2.1 with a down firing woofer, but that one sounded really great and was a fun build.

Jwjarch, thanks. I thought about that and noticed in pics that the board was pretty well marked. And I can be very daring...so I will try that out.

Millstonemike, that may be the way to go, is a true 2.1. I had thought about a voxel with 2 - FE85s or RS100's in their own enclosures.

Thanks as always guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X