X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...8-ohm--295-384
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...8-ohm--295-386

Looks pretty cool! I envision a lot of great projects with these. My first thought is a soundbar application.
    ​I was thinking "center channel", e.g. coax 4" at the center, flanked by two 6.5s to handle the lower bass duties.
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by kenny_k View Post
      I think I will stick to my diy coax........at the moment.
      Any pics?
      Here are a few of my own DIY co-axials.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0565 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	1337636

Comment

Very nice! I wish they made a midrange coaxial version of this. One big problem with a 2 way coaxial is that the large woofer excursion for reproducing bass will audibly modulate the treble response. Therefore to really get the benefit of a coaxial, a 3 way should be the minimum.

Comment

Sorry Allen, not until a practical demonstration.
          Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
          DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
          Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

​I was thinking "center channel", e.g. coax 4" at the center, flanked by two 6.5s to handle the lower bass duties.

I'm thinking the same thing, but obviously it will depend on the frequency response data once PE supplies it.
            It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

I like that idea too. Right now I'm leaning toward 3 of the 5.25s for an LCR. Quick model shows favorable results with .375 cubes each.
              https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

The Daytons remind me of the Rockford Fosgate R1675X2 pair I used in my car. I tested them in cardboard box enclosures in the house before installing them in the car, they sounded quite nice (6x9 in the same series sounded a bit harsh in the lower treble though).

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                  Forgive my newbish question please, but how are these usually designed regarding Z-offset? Are coax drivers usually set up to be zero-offset tweeter-to-woofer, or do they just try to arrange things so the frequency response suffers as little as possible?

And what would be the main design use for these do you think? Surround sound speakers I'm guessing, and at least for the little 4" ones, probably smaller boom box type, or all-in-one bluetooth amp setups for the kitchen or bedroom.

I think these could be the basis for a decent little table radio setup if you don't mind having a little more height.... I've been thinking about doing a nice table radio with a Voxel-type sub hidden (or at least camouflaged) up on top of the wall cabinets.

At any rate, it's nice to see these; they're something new and different.

TomZ

Interesting question on the Z - it may not be what you expect. Here's a graph from a coincident design I just finished.
                  Attached Files

Comment

My two arrived today. Waiting on the Dayton frequency files to be posted as well.
                    "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
                    The Roxster
                    Swopes 5.0
                    Acoustic Panels
                    Living Room Make Over

Comment

Spec sheets are being built as we speak, expect them sometime next week.
                      Your results may vary.

Comment

I'm thinking of the idea of a center channel that uses the 4" coax flanked by two ND105-8 for bass duties for a very slim center channel.
                        Or the 5" coax paired with 6" woofers as someone else mentioned.
                        -Dan
                        Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
                          I'm thinking of the idea of a center channel that uses the 4" coax flanked by two ND105-8 for bass duties for a very slim center channel.
                          Or the 5" coax paired with 6" woofers as someone else mentioned.

I haven't done anything with the 4" yet, but you might be surprised with the bass response you will get from the 5". I had them in pretty big cabs though, so it really depends on your output needs.
                          Your results may vary.

Comment

My quickie modeling of the 5" suggests about .5 cubes with an fb of 50ish. Even in .38, it looks very good to about 60.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                              My quickie modeling of the 5" suggests about .5 cubes with an fb of 50ish. Even in .38, it looks very good to about 60.

I tried them in 0.5 cubes and got similar numbers. They looked a little odd for a bookshelf in that volume but a small tower would suffice.
                              Your results may vary.

Comment

I think the biggest issue with a single 5" coax for a center channel is that it just wont have the sensitivity / output for really clear dialog near reference levels. (esp when baffle-step is considered)
                                -Dan
                                Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Working...
                                X