Dayton Coax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djkest View Post
    I think the biggest issue with a single 5" coax for a center channel is that it just wont have the sensitivity / output for really clear dialog near reference levels. (esp when baffle-step is considered)
    Possibly. However, in my situation with a small room, and boundary reinforcement from the audio cabinet it will sit on, I don't think it will be an issue.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

How low the center channel needs to play? How about the surrounds?

Comment

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
        How low the center channel needs to play? How about the surrounds?
        Honestly if you can get down to 80Hz with a CC or surround, you're doing just fine. Your sub can take over from there.
        -Dan
        Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

perhaps a small cube like the SEAS kit?

Comment

Specs finally posted....
            "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
            The Roxster
            Swopes 5.0
            Acoustic Panels
            Living Room Make Over

Comment

They looks decent enough and useable, even though the tweeters will have to be crossed a bit high.
              Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                They looks decent enough and useable, even though the tweeters will have to be crossed a bit high.
                I have a 3.3 Audyn on the tweet and the woofer full range in a .15cuft enclosure right now. Tweeter needs to be padded but not too bad. The woofer is decently smooth full range.
                "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
                The Roxster
                Swopes 5.0
                Acoustic Panels
                Living Room Make Over

Comment

I'd really like to try the smaller ones as a small desktop setup, but it will have to wait a while. I'm excited to see what people do with these though.

Comment

For giggles, I did some renderings of 2 different box styles of the 4" Coax driver. One with a slot port and a simple box design, the other with tube ports, and some more flare to it.
                    For scale in the pictures, that is a 34" curved screen monitor.

Comment

Hi,
                      Thanks for this post I am always interested in building a pair of speakers using coaxial drivers. I have one question:

1. Is the x-cross between the tweeter and woofer built into the driver or the DIYer has to design his/her own x-cross to fit the drivers?

Thanks.

Comment

No crossover included, but there will be one available. Learned that today at MWAF.
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Kole won a set of the new 4" Coaxials as a door prize at MWAF. This got the wheels spinning and it looks like I'll be competing again next year in the Open Unlimited Class. Gonna look at building another set of arrays using 10 or 12 of the new 4" Coax's. It will be interesting to see how good these drivers can be tamed with DSP. One difference for next years arrays, subs built in to the back of the cabs. Might as well utilize the dead space (several forum members questioned why I didn't on the first ones) and not have to ask for as much from the mid-woofers. Even with subs, the next set should have a smaller footprint. Had planned to take a break from building for a while, catch my breath so to speak, so much for that now. One thing for sure, the new design will implement as much of the KISS rule as possible, tired of complicated builds.
                          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                          Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                          The Archers
                          Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                          The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                            No crossover included, but there will be one available. Learned that today at MWAF.
                            Wolf
                            Cool. While reading this thread, I was thinking that PE should supply a schematic for a crossover.

I assume, there would be one "ideal" crossover that would work with whatever enclosure people want to make (since the drivers are always going to be the same)...is that correct? Or would there be a reason for different crossovers?
                            Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Originally posted by john trials View Post

Cool. While reading this thread, I was thinking that PE should supply a schematic for a crossover.

I assume, there would be one "ideal" crossover that would work with whatever enclosure people want to make (since the drivers are always going to be the same)...is that correct? Or would there be a reason for different crossovers?
                              The crossover would work ok for most enclosures. The biggest variable would be in the baffle width and the intended location (desktop, close to a wall, etc) which may effect the amount of bsc needed.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                                ....Gonna look at building another set of arrays using 10 or 12 of the new 4" Coax's...
                                I was thinking about you saying this today, and I think the CTC spacing on the tweeters is going to create some major problems. Just my .02. I think it would look freakin' awesome though.

Comment

Working...
                                X