Dayton Coax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adam_G View Post
    I was thinking about you saying this today, and I think the CTC spacing on the tweeters is going to create some major problems. Just my .02. I think it would look freakin' awesome though.
    ​Yea, I got overly excited before really thinking this through last night. It him me first thing this morning and that was followed by calling myself brain dead. In my defense, a really long drive (17 hours) followed by not much sleep over the last couple of days led to this brain fart. Lesson learned, never plan your next build while in "Zombie Mode".
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

Never know till ya try?
      Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
      DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
      Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post

​Yea, I got overly excited before really thinking this through last night. It him me first thing this morning and that was followed by calling myself brain dead. In my defense, a really long drive (17 hours) followed by not much sleep over the last couple of days led to this brain fart. Lesson learned, never plan your next build while in "Zombie Mode".

I may draw it up just for giggles, I'll post it up in here if I do so you can see it.

Comment

Funny that PE didn't have an example?
          Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
          DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
          Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Here ya' go. One of 12 per side arrays, the other with an array of 8" subwoofers beside it.... I had that one handy already for reasons.

I was lazy with the box design, sue me.
            Attached Files

Comment

I like the industrial location with the two sprinkler risers ;)
              Expensive caps need time to break in. More expensive caps take a long time. Cheap caps sound great right out of the box.

Why I don't spray in first gear: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/...t=100_2585.mp4

Comment

Originally posted by john trials View Post

Cool. While reading this thread, I was thinking that PE should supply a schematic for a crossover.

I assume, there would be one "ideal" crossover that would work with whatever enclosure people want to make (since the drivers are always going to be the same)...is that correct? Or would there be a reason for different crossovers?

I have a pretty basic XO done for the 5", will be working on the 4" this week. We will post these schematics when I get finished. We will also include baffle dimensions and offsets. These will be good enough to sound reasonably smooth and not cause tweeter damage but I'm sure a lot of the guys here can come up with something that's more refined for a per-application basis.
                Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                  I like the industrial location with the two sprinkler risers ;)

Haha yeah, I like to use that backdrop, beats a plain background with no floor plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    No crossover included, but there will be one available. Learned that today at MWAF.
                    Wolf
                    Thks, is the crossover for the 4" or the 51/4" coax or both?

Comment

ttan98- see MattP's reply...
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Well, punching in the driver diameter of 4.75" which would also be your tweeter center-to-center spacing yields a 2,857 Hz wavelength.

The response graph is up: https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...ifications.pdf

...and a 3k crossover point doesn't look impossible, especially with your DSP magic at your disposal.

But, it will be REALLY hard to tell if the woofs or tweeets are playing by ear if you're not sure which wires are which like Saturday night! Yes the tweeters did have excellent bass response.

I guess you'll have a better idea once you play with your set a bit to see if the components are worthy of such a huge time investment.
                        Hey, maybe you don't have 'Drain Bramage' like me after all!

TomZ
                        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

Well, punching in the driver diameter of 4.75" which would also be your tweeter center-to-center spacing yields a 2,857 Hz wavelength.

The response graph is up: https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...ifications.pdf

...and a 3k crossover point doesn't look impossible, especially with your DSP magic at your disposal.

But, it will be REALLY hard to tell if the woofs or tweeets are playing by ear if you're not sure which wires are which like Saturday night! Yes the tweeters did have excellent bass response.

I guess you'll have a better idea once you play with your set a bit to see if the components are worthy of such a huge time investment.
                          Hey, maybe you don't have 'Drain Bramage' like me after all!

TomZ
                          Yea, yea, rub it in. The wiring fiasco was pretty embarrassing. Will make sure to label the RCA's from the DSP in the future to prevent this from happening again. I'll also talk with Rick about the centers and see what he thinks. Would be pretty close to the FS of the tweeter but may not be as much of an issue since it's an array and DSP programming.
                          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                          The Archers
                          The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_G View Post

Here ya' go. One of 12 per side arrays, the other with an array of 8" subwoofers beside it.... I had that one handy already for reasons.

I was lazy with the box design, sue me.
                            I like the warehouse backdrop but was thinking more along the lines of a CBT array with the subs built into the back of the enclosures. What software are you using, I assume it includes the backdrop images?
                            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                            The Archers
                            The Gandalf's

Comment

I won a pair of the 5" as a door prize. Woo hoo..

Comment

I like the warehouse backdrop but was thinking more along the lines of a CBT array with the subs built into the back of the enclosures. What software are you using, I assume it includes the backdrop images?

I use Autodesk Inventor. There are a few different backdrops available but I like that one because it gives a bit of scale to the speaker. I had already designed the 8" sub array so I just tossed it in for giggles.

Comment

Working...
                                X