No announcement yet.

"Modern" Streaming Pre-Amp Suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Modern" Streaming Pre-Amp Suggestions?

Hello Everybody,

I'm looking for a recommendation on a "Modern" Streaming Pre-Amp to run with my ADCOM Amps, I'd like it to have the latest features such as, integrated Networking, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.

I have been looking at the Yamaha's WXC-50 which seems to have all that cool stuff but I'm not sure about the quality and value of it. Anything else out there not very expensive?

All recommendations would be very appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!
    Alex

Old school analogue...but I just acquired an Audible Illusions tube Pre (moderately priced used), and am very happy with it. It came highly recommended and I am understanding why!! I have a Parasound A23 with it and stream Tidal.

Incidentally Tidal gives an amazing discount to Veterans.

From an experienced "audiophile" as he said to me😏...Vintage audio offers an incredible sound. It's just not modern. One has to use wires unfortunately. I agree with him.

Robert
    -Robert

Comment

I have a few vintage amps and new amps, all good for their day. Find that some amps get very "crusty" sounding after about 25 year unless recapped.

It's interesting, looking at capacitor lifetime ratings, you might find cheese with a longer shelf life than guaranteed by some modern main stream electrolytics

Comment

You could use a Raspberry Pi 3 with a good quality DAC and run whatever music player platform you want on it. You basically get a small computer, with WiFi, networking, etc.

Dedicated hardware based solutions are the "old" way. Now you can just use a general computing platform, and even a cheap one like an R-Pi, and do all of that and more.

NOTE: check the input sensitivity of your Adcom amps. Mine are somewhere between 1Vrms and 1.6Vrms so you need to make sure you DAC can output at least that much voltage.
        Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

You could use a Raspberry Pi 3 with a good quality DAC and run whatever music player platform you want on it. You basically get a small computer, with WiFi, networking, etc. See this thread for an example of this:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ode-impressive

Dedicated hardware based solutions are the "old" way. Now you can just use a general computing platform, and even a cheap one like an R-Pi, and do all of that and more.

NOTE: check the input sensitivity of your Adcom amps. Mine are somewhere between 1Vrms and 1.6Vrms so you need to make sure you DAC can output at least that much voltage.
          Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

Originally posted by AlexRivera View Post
            Hello Everybody,

I'm looking for a recommendation on a "Modern" Streaming Pre-Amp to run with my ADCOM Amps, I'd like it to have the latest features such as, integrated Networking, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.

I have been looking at the Yamaha's WXC-50 which seems to have all that cool stuff but I'm not sure about the quality and value of it. Anything else out there not very expensive?

All recommendations would be very appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!
            Alex
            ​Marantz has some nice options and last years models are available at a discount with the features you want.

Comment

Thanks Guys, all this is very interesting stuff, I'm looking at all the options and see what turns to be the best to try ...

Comment

What are you wanting to stream? I've been using Gramafons as Spotify Connect devices...they can do other things, as well, but my experience is only with Spotify. They sound pretty good, analog out to whatever legacy gear you might have, so an analog preamp would work fine. One of the best things about the Garamafon is that they use Qualcomm hardware, and with Qualcomm's AllPlay app, you can group as many Gramafons as you have, or individually, and play music throughout the house or just in 1 room.

Comment

Working...
                X