No announcement yet.

Need advice on car stereo speakers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've owned Subarus since the early 80s ( very popular in these parts ). Their sound systems aren't spectacular. Many models use a similar 6.5" driver mounted in the lower front corner of the doors.
    I once found a factory upgrade kit ( polypropylene cones ), which was an improvement, though the low mounted cones was a inherent compromise. High mounted mini tweeters ( Audax TM010 ) was a cheap improvement.
    Back when I did a lot of commuting and felt a better system was warranted - I took cues from a book called Killer Car Stereo ( Daniel L. Ferguson ) that offered simple low cost project paths.
    That book is out of print, though Ferguson has published others.
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper Tom View Post
      You could also look at going active, replace your factory radio, use the 4x50 amp to power the tweeters and woofers, and not use the rear speakers. Then you can save money on crossover parts and use that for the new head unit and remove a lot of the complexity. Trust me, you don't need the rear speakers if you invest in the fronts. My recommendation for a head unit, Pioneer DEH-80PRS.
      I plan to address the head unit also but I can't do it all at once. I also cart around three daughters in the back seat, and all of them would not be happy if I removed the rear speakers, so they will be upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by breadfan View Post
        I plan to address the head unit also but I can't do it all at once. I also cart around three daughters in the back seat, and all of them would not be happy if I removed the rear speakers, so they will be upgraded.
        Long term , I would go along with Tom - Active to drive tweeters separately. Short term - upgrade 6.5" and add a couple of high mounted mini-tweeters. Even using a simple cap to feed the tweeters a little "air" is an improvement.
        "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Cars are the worst place for drivers anyways. Just the nature of car shape and what it is made of. Even the best drivers wont do them justice.
          On the cheap diy. That is my motto - www.hifiposse.com

Comment

Originally posted by breadfan View Post

​I've got two daughters as well, though they've just reached adulthood. I still can't bring myself to give up the rear speakers. I have a PRS80, but I still use passive filters on the main channels between the mids and highs. Still, the x-over (between mids and bass), EQ and Time Alignment features of the PRS80 really come in handy.

​People talk about the disadvantages of car audio, but there are some clear advantages as well:

​1. Listening position (of the main listener) is fixed. You can design your system to give the best results at that listening position
            ​2. It's primarily near-field (10mS or less). You can tune with an RTA and get good results, without having to resort to gated measurements.
            ​3. You don't have to build any boxes to hold the mids and tweeters (if you use the original speaker locations of course)
            ​4. That incredible cabin gain at bass frequencies can make it very easy to achieve concert-level results.

Most of my listening is done in my car anyway, since SWMBO has monopolized the TV and with it the living room
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Working...
            X