Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue with Bubinga veneer and Wipe-on Poly...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with Bubinga veneer and Wipe-on Poly...

I'm having an issue with getting the poly to build on certain areas of the veneer.
    Here's a pic, but it really doesn't explain much...

There are lots of areas where the poly is smooth and shiny, then there are other small areas -- especially where the grain is darker -- where it doesn't seem to be building correctly. When I run my finger along the surface, there is friction because the surface is smooth, then I get to those darker areas and my finger slips over them because the poly didn't adhere correctly or it isn't building like it normally does.

I've read on a number of forums about some 'oily' woods having issues, but there is mixed information about Bubinga wood. I've read that I should have wiped the grain with lacquer thinner to cut the oil before applying poly, and others say they've had no issues. It was also suggested that if you've already begun the application of veneer, that you can wipe the veneer with paint thinner to cut the oil so the poly will adhere after that.

I'm willing to test this on the base (pictured) in the middle area as that will be hidden by the speaker sitting on top of it. Others have suggested some type of wax, but I'm worried that it will fill the grain that isn't filling in and I'll have white flecks from the wax.

I'm all ears if anyone knows what I did wrong or can offer a suggestion on improving the outcome. If I can't get this worked out by Monday or Tuesday, I'll just take the speakers to MWAF as-is... they still look good and are protected, just not uniformly shiny if you know what I mean. I can work on the finish when I come back.

Thanks for any ideas.
    TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

I have seen a lot of that with some wood species and as you mentioned it specially happens in the darker areas where it gets more "curly", I usually use a pore filler if the color allows it and/or a poly sealer, unfortunately at this point where you are at the only think I can suggest is keep putting more coats of poly in the areas that keep sucking up and of course sand among coats until the wood seals and evens up with the rest.

I really doubt it has anything to do with oils or waxes, if that was the case you'd see the poly to move around that area naturally repelling the oily characteristics but what I can tell from this picture is that it is sucking up the paint and drying up.

So bottom line, coating and sanding is what I would do.

Comment

Wonder if you could try some Crystalac grain filler in that area? No experience with Poly, so I'm not sure and wouldn't want to make a suggestion that could mess up that beautiful veneer.
      My "No-Name" CC Speaker
      Kerry's "Silverbacks"
      Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
      The Archers
      Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
      The Gandalf's

Comment

Those dark areas are probably were at some point branches, so the grain is 90 degrees relative to the rest, acting as a sponge. I'd just add enough poly to just those areas until the grain fills enough to make it the same as the rest before adding more coats to the entire surface, then coat and sand, coat and sand. When working with open grain woods you sand off most of what you put down until the grain eventually fills.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I'd scuff sand with a 3m pad and add one coat of gloss poly (not the wiping kind) with a cleaned Sureline paint pad. After it dries scuff sand and add final wipe on coat of poly.
          John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
            I'd scuff sand with a 3m pad and add one coat of gloss poly (not the wiping kind) with a cleaned Sureline paint pad. After it dries scuff sand and add final wipe on coat of poly.
            I was going to suggest the same thing. Use an single coat of brush on poly so you can go heavier. It should seal it up now that you have a few coats of wipe on already on there.
            -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys...

I have a few test scraps with wipe-on curing in the basement as we speak. When that dries, I'll make sure they look approx. the same as my speaks and try out the gloss poly with sureline paint pad suggestion. That seems pretty doable. I'll wait until after the MWAF to do this though... I'd love to drive to Ohio just once without breathing polyurethane fumes the whole way.

Maybe you guys can have a look at what I'm talking about at the MWAF in person, though it sounds like you already know what's happened. I'm still such a newb!

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it!

TomZ
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

I agree with the others, Tom. Wipe-on poly is really thin. You can fill the grain faster with something thicker.

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                  Thanks for the ideas guys... I have a few test scraps with wipe-on curing in the basement as we speak. When that dries, I'll make sure they look approx. the same as my speaks and try out the gloss poly with sureline paint pad suggestion. That seems pretty doable. I'll wait until after the MWAF to do this though... I'd love to drive to Ohio just once without breathing polyurethane fumes the whole way. Maybe you guys can have a look at what I'm talking about at the MWAF in person, though it sounds like you already know what's happened. I'm still such a newb! Thanks again guys, I appreciate it! TomZ
                  Tom, I've found I like a good quality bristle brush the best for brush on poly. If you do it this weekend, you shouldn't have to worry about fumes.
                  -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

I always apply 2 brush-on coats of oil-based satin poly first, sanding lightly after each, then usually apply 3 wipe-on coats with "rubbing" out after each with "0000" synthetic (plastic) "steel wool". However, I don't try to completely fill the grain because I like a bit of it to remain so it looks and feels natural rather than like plastic.
                    Paul

Comment

I'm considering having a stab at this after all. I have a few days to play with. I'm leaving early Tuesday morning, but I think that's enough time to get this done without stinking up the minivan too much on the way.

Paul, I've always admired the quality and evenness of your speakers' finishes. I think John H mentioned using brush-on before wipe-on as well. Let me head to the Home Depot to pick some up.

TomZ

Comment

+1 on Pauls finish technique. His cabinets always have an elegant look to them. Not to glossy, not to flat, and the wood looks real/natural like it should. Looking forward to seeing what he brings this year.

Go for it Tom. There's always the option of air fresheners for the mini-van.
                        My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                        Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                        The Archers
                        Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                        The Gandalf's

Comment

Thanks for the compliments, Tom and Kevin, and you'll be seeing the results of what I described on the Brioso speakers I'm bringing to MWAF, the same speakers I had at this year's InDIYana. For those who heard them in April, I tweaked the crossover since and hope you like the results.
                          Paul
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Fnt view without grille.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1337995

Comment

I just finished putting a coat of brush-on poly onto the cabinets and they look a lot better, but I won't know for sure until it dries. I'll just wait until tomorrow morning to have a look-see.

Hoping for the best. I figure I may have to put another brush on coat in the morning after a scuff... then maybe a few coats of rub-on in the evening to finish up. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the great ideas guys,
                            Finishing is really a weak spot for me.

TomZ

Comment

Tom, something I did while using Watco was to wet sand with a scothbrite pad using the oil as my "wet" , it worked well to fill the tough areas and you are
                              ​killing 2 birds with one stone. What ever you sand down fills the pores pretty good and you are applying another coat. You may have to work a smaller area
                              ​with the wipe on poly but it should yield the same result. Flood the surface, wet sand and wipe dry. Good luck at MWAF, go N.J.!

Comment

Working...
                              X