Uploaded photos turn sideways, one way to correct them

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uploaded photos turn sideways, one way to correct them

A lot of us will be facing new obstacles posting pictures due to the recent PhotoBucket policy changes and the ransomware that comes along with it. I've noticed a lot of members photos get loaded sideways and this is almost always followed by them saying they don't understand why the forum software is doing it. I don't understand why the forum software is doing it either but I have a fix that's worked for me and wanted to share.

Here is an example of one where the picture is upright on my computer but it comes in sideways on the forum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170709_225548 (Large).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	1338296

The fix is fairly simple. Yea, it's a pain to have to deal with this at all but it is what it is. Open the photo in "Paint" and crop a small amount off the top or bottom, doesn't take very much at all.

Name:	20170709_225548 (Cropped).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	1338297

The first photo is 1080 x 1920 and the cropped photo is 1080 x 1900. Hope some of you guys will find this helpful.

Last edited by Kevin K.; 07-10-2017, 03:02 PM.
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

thanks!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

What about in the folder where your picture is stored, select all the images you want to upload, right click on those selected images, and click "rotate left" or "rotate right" depending on the orientation you need? This is a lot easier than cropping every single image.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bcodemz View Post
        What about in the folder where your picture is stored, select all the images you want to upload, right click on those selected images, and click "rotate left" or "rotate right" depending on the orientation you need? This is a lot easier than cropping every single image.
        Tried it, doesn't work.
        My "No-Name" CC Speaker
        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
        The Archers
        The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post

Tried it, doesn't work.

me too

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

You can open a photo in Windows Photo Viewer by double clicking the image. There are rotate arrows - bottom, just right of the center. Once you click rotate, it will auto save the rotated version. Clicking the "Next" arrow will bring up the next photo in a folder. It's very quick (at least on my PC). I can rotate 10 pics in under 15 seconds..

Comment

Original photo (which is vertical on my computer but comes in horizontal to the forum)

Views:	2
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	1338322

Same photo rotated right on my computer, saved and then uploaded. Still comes in horizontal

Views:	1
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	1338323

Rotating the photo doesn't fix the problem. It's also random, still trying to figure that part out. Some photos will come in correct and others get flipped.
              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
              The Archers
              The Gandalf's

Comment

That crossover looks great though...

Comment

Originally posted by AlexRivera View Post
                  That crossover looks great though...
                  Thanks Alex.
                  My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                  Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                  The Archers
                  The Gandalf's

Comment

The problem is that your camera will save the orientation of the camera in the photo itself in the EXIF data (look it up), and some software that reads the jpeg file simply doesn't care or use this information, so the image is then not correctly oriented. A simple fix is actually simpler than what is explained here, as you don't have to crop the photo at all, simply open it up in paint and hit the save button. The image is then saved without the camera orientation included, however this can be tedious with 100+ photos.

There's a few tools out there on the interweb that will auto-rotate your photos when you transfer them from your camera. I spent 2 minutes on google and found some information, I'm sure there's free options out there as well:
                    http://www.impulseadventure.com/phot...ientation.html
                    http://www.impulseadventure.com/phot...ort-dlpro.html

Now let's all never ask why our pictures are sideways again.
                    Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                      The problem is that your camera will save the orientation of the camera in the photo itself in the EXIF data (look it up), and some software that reads the jpeg file simply doesn't care or use this information, so the image is then not correctly oriented.
                      Now let's all never ask why our pictures are sideways again.
                      Interesting. Not to argue your point but all of my pics are taken with the camera on my phone and almost always taken with the phone in the vertical position. The photo at the top of this thread was taken that way. So why is it flipping this one and not the other two taken minutes later the same way?
                      My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                      Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                      The Archers
                      The Gandalf's

Comment

I always just thought that certain 'software' out there tried to 'see' what the orientation should be and flipped them based on whatever it came up with. I also have had some pics flipped where others were not, though they were taken in the same orientation. Dang computers!

TomZ
                        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post

Interesting. Not to argue your point but all of my pics are taken with the camera on my phone and almost always taken with the phone in the vertical position. The photo at the top of this thread was taken that way. So why is it flipping this one and not the other two taken minutes later the same way?
                          I'd suggest the phone is at fault, or some of the files had been opened and saved with another program before posting. FWIW, a verticle photo on a phone is sideways, since the "correct" orientation for a photo is for the width to be the longest dimension. The camera takes the same photo every time regarless of orientation, and the gyro in the camera records the orientation (which way is up).

Use a tool to read the EXIF data on your 3 photos and see what it say about them. GIMP will show you this data (file menu - properties), as will XNViewer as well as many others.
                          Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Dcibel's take is correct. Below is a link to a post that explains it.

Both Windows Photo Viewer and TT ignore the orientation info from the phone. What you see in photo viewer will be how it appears on TT.

So, the simple solution is;

(1) Download your photos from the phone to a file folder;
                            (2) Double click the first pic in the folder. It will open in Windows Photo Viewer;
                            (3) If necessary, click the rotate icon (curved arrow) - photo viewer will immediately save the new orientation without telling you;
                            (4) Click the right arrow to view the next photo in the folder;
                            (5) Repeat until you've seen every photo in the folder.

It is very quick and will get the orientation correct every time for TT. As I said earlier, you can move through photos in less than 2 seconds each. The curved "Rotate" arrows are right next to the "Next" arrow. Click click click ...

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...re-orientation

Comment

You might consider getting and using a "real" camera. Or maybe just lean your head over when looking at those tilted photos.
                              Last edited by ; 07-10-2017, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X