Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hmmmm. How Does A Speaker Reproduce Many Frequencies At Once?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other related items:
    https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/_mi...bration_01.pdf

A graphic example ( imagine the effect on the beam motion if the road also had other grooves ripples and undulations )

from https://cnx.org/contents/[email protected]/...Motion-A-Speci
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
      A graphic example ( imagine the effect on the beam motion if the road also had other grooves ripples and undulations )
      ​So, who do I complain to, to get all those bumps in the road fixed? LOL

Comment

Local Auto-ologist?
        My rough gravel road is a noise source.
        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I envision it like this....

A woofer can be moving Very slowly responding to a 30 hz tone, over maybe say an inch of movement total.

But add a 250 hz tone to the 30 hz tone, and while moving this entire inch "Slowly overall" to do 30 hz, it also is vibrating rapidly during the entire big excursion at the same time producing the 250 hz tone.

Like a car on a wavy road going up and down slowly, but add a rough surface and the car ALSO vibrates at a higher frequency at the same time, it is undulating slowly over the big wavy sections.

Comment

Once the concept of summed motion is understood, comes the additional aspects of cone behavior

Klippel noted the history of cone behavior analysis, from Olson's Chladni-like depictions to modern Laser scanning

Comment

I dunno, I still think it's magic
              A mains
              The Ventures
              Open Invit8tions
              RSR
              Sound Troopers
              Acorns
              DGBG's
              The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
                I dunno, I still think it's magic
                Not science, you must be thinking of religion.
                Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Nah, I think about speakers religiously, it's the science that's magic
                  A mains
                  The Ventures
                  Open Invit8tions
                  RSR
                  Sound Troopers
                  Acorns
                  DGBG's
                  The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post
                    I envision it like this....

A woofer can be moving Very slowly responding to a 30 hz tone, over maybe say an inch of movement total.

But add a 250 hz tone to the 30 hz tone, and while moving this entire inch "Slowly overall" to do 30 hz, it also is vibrating rapidly during the entire big excursion at the same time producing the 250 hz tone.

Like a car on a wavy road going up and down slowly, but add a rough surface and the car ALSO vibrates at a higher frequency at the same time, it is undulating slowly over the big wavy sections.

Ahhh, that illustration provided the "aha!" moment for me, Kevin. I get it now!

Confirmed: It may not be magic, but it certainly is magical!

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
                      Nah, I think about speakers religiously, it's the science that's magic
                      Poetry
                      The Hurricanes
                      The Baronettes
                      Conneccentric
                      UX3

Comment

Originally posted by DanP View Post

Poetry
                        Songs are just really interesting things to be doing with the air.
                        Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Speakers love to show the air around them who's boss.
                          A mains
                          The Ventures
                          Open Invit8tions
                          RSR
                          Sound Troopers
                          Acorns
                          DGBG's
                          The Monuments

Comment

Here another way to visualize it, where it starts.....

Comment

Originally posted by GTPlus View Post
                              Here another way to visualize it, where it starts.....
                              Turntable Thoughts by Paul Messenger

The prime function of the turntable system is to mechanically interface the disc and cartridge so that the cartridge is able to extract the maximum amount of musical information from the disc. To start with, we must understand that the “audio bandwidth” is the range of frequencies the human ear can hear, and extends in frequencies from 20 to 20,000 cycles per second. Likewise the human ear can easily detect differences in loudness that encompass 60dB, or a ratio of 1,000,000:1. Even the simplest music is likely to contain enormous numbers of these frequencies at all these different levels at any one time, and the problem for the record deck (and the hi-fi system as a whole) is to get as much of this back as possible, while avoiding adding too much extra of its own.
                              To understand the dimensions involved in the record system we shall construct an enlarged model in which one micron (one thousandth of a millimeter) is represented by one inch. A midband modulation in the groove at a “typical” level (1kHz, 5cm/sec) gives a 16 inch peak-to-peak excursion for the stylus, while a 50Hz organ pedal at 10dB higher will require 10’ 6" and the low level harmonic of a violin (10kHz, -40dB) only 0.068"! A typical stylus with a “line contact” profile on a high quality cartridge would produce vertical oval “foot-prints” on the groove walls 10" by 4” and would deform the vinyl by about one inch (twenty times the size of the violin harmonic). The stylus itself is about 30' high, and is attached to a bent pipe that represents the cantilever of 50' diameter and 275' length, extending from a 2000’ long cartridge body that is some 80’ from the record surface! The arm has a diameter of 450’ and crosses 1300’ above the record surface from its pivot point nearly 4 miles away! This approach deals only with dimension, not mass or velocity, yet it certainly illustrates the problems of relative magnitude that the turntable system has to deal with. In fact it is quite amazing that record decks work as well as they do, and it is hardly surprising that there are differences among them.

Comment

And those scale differentiations are why we have the RIAA curve. It would have been better conceived as a simpler transfer function, but hindsight and all that...

Comment

Working...
                                X