No announcement yet.

Table saw suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door #2 excites me the most (Jessem slide and exact-I fence). I think you'll be surprised how much you'll use that crosscut slide jig. I originally built a crosscut sled for my table, but once I got a nice solid extension on the mitre bar I rarely use the big heavy crosscut jig anymore.

That JessEm jig looks like a $500 part on its own:
    http://www.jessemdirect.com/Mast_R_Slide_p/07500.htm
    Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-15-A...e-Saw/50056619
      This saw frequently goes on sale for $180.00, it's made by Delta and has all the features you need for basement use, mainly a dust port. Always set the fence with a square and it will cut well. The fence locks down solidly, it folds away and has all the safety features.

Comment

Originally posted by beatle View Post
        The Delta and Jet are both nice looking pieces, and yes, I would never outgrow them, but I've yet to actually build anything other than a flat pack at this point. While I don't want junk, I don't think I'm ready to invest that much in a tool that I may not actually use that much. Worst comes to worst, I think I'd upgrade from a used contractor saw, but by then I'll know exactly what I want.

I have maybe a garage bay's worth of space in my unfinished basement to play in. That space is currently shared with a woodworking bench, a miter saw stand, and my track motorcycle. My panel is pretty much full, so a 220v saw is not in the cards.

Paul, any issues with stability from using a portable saw? I've seen that with aluminum tops you're limited in using any accessories that rely on magnets (maybe this is no concern).

A few good ones popped up last night:

Portable Bosch:
        https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...218494033.html

Craftsman with JessEm slide and Exact-I-Fence:
        https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...218380412.html

Craftsman with Vega fence:
        https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...218793917.html

I'll be visiting family in the Hampton Roads area of VA this weekend. Maybe I'll come back with a saw from there...
        Yes, I hear you as far as budget, how much use you think you'll get out of it and the tool, space, power requirements...

Option 2 and 3 look like good contenders. 2 looks great, but the 1/2 horsepower motor is on the weak side...wonder if that was a typo and it's really a 1 1/2 HP.

The Vega fence on the #3 is a good fence, I have the 42" version on one of my saws, a Delta contractor saw with an extended table and sliding crosscut attachment. It's been in my possession and use for about 18 years, even after I added a Unisaw to my "shop".

One thing to note, is that many new to wood working are often disenchanted when their cheap tools don't perform well, or require lots of fiddling to make them useable and accurate. Starting with a better tool makes for a better experience, and is more likely to inspire confidence and a willingness to make stuff...not to mention safer. A table saw is no joke, big or small, hands and fingers are no match for any of them, and the possibility of kick back should never be disregarded. It's likely the most dangerous tool in a wood working shop, so choosing one with the capacity appropriate for your needs, and a solid fence that won't flex and is square to the blade, are quite important. This is not meant to discourage you or suggest you have to buy a $3k saw and add 3 phase power to your shop, just that there are many things to consider when buying a tool like this.

Comment

Any of the Dewalt jobsite saws are fantastic, that's what I use and I've built some really nice speakers over the last year since I've had it. Very accurate and holds set ups really well, light and portable - really nice unit, I have no major complaints. Javad
          --
          Javad Shadzi
          Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

I picked up a saw this weekend. It's a Ridgid TS3650 that looks to be lightly used. It's in good shape with the original fence, miter gauge, and even the original blade. Just a touch of surface rust on the table that I plan to clean off. I'll be tuning everything up and replacing the blade this week before I make my first cuts. I took it for $225 which I felt was a decent deal. I think it should be accurate enough and easy enough to let me learn the ropes. Next stop, a router thread!

Comment

Probably a good choice and it sounds like a fair price. No idea how good/bad the fence on those is, but it looks like it might be decent.

Only downsides I can see are no riving knife(be careful) and no dust collection provisions.

Comment

Working...
              X