Clear All

• New Peerless woofers coming...

SDF series...
    http://www.audioxpress.com/article/p...f-250-10-model

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

They look pretty snazzy, except for the gasketed frame edge. It'll be good to see the price and how they perform vs the XXLS models.

If I read the blurb correctly, they're claiming "increased xmax" over the XXLS, but then earlier it mentions an Xmax for the 10" of 12.6mm, which is a whopping 0.1mm greater than the XLS/XXLS.
    Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Looks decent. Stamped aluminum frame?

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
        They look pretty snazzy, except for the gasketed frame edge. It'll be good to see the price and how they perform vs the XXLS models. If I read the blurb correctly, they're claiming "increased xmax" over the XXLS, but then earlier it mentions an Xmax for the 10" of 12.6mm, which is a whopping 0.1mm greater than the XLS/XXLS.
        Actually the front of the frame edge (or mounting flange) looks pretty good. The gasket is a molded rubber rubber piece that tapers a little toward the outside of the frame. Also, I think they meant to say that this new frame design has increased Xmax capability. The space between the spider landing and the top plate is really impressive for a driver in this price range. I haven't measured it yet, but its at least 1.25". The off the shelf driver is a slight improvement over the Xxls... But I expect (or, I hope ;) ) a reasonably priced driver with around 20 mm Xmax could be made with this frame.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn View Post
          Looks decent. Stamped aluminum frame?
          It is cast aluminum... It has a weird this ring around the middle of the spokes. You can see it in the pic above (it's blurry and blocking the VC to cone joint). It's way too small for a possible second spider landing, so I'm not quite sure why it's there. It does look good though, so that's reason enough. Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Perez View Post
            Actually the front of the frame edge (or mounting flange) looks pretty good.
            You're right, your up close photo actually doesn't look too bad, though I still prefer the frame of the old XLS. The XLS/XXLS set the bar pretty high for woofer performance, so lets hope that these new drivers meet and exceed that bar.
            Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

I saw that yesterday too, can't wait to see some tests results from this.

Comment

They look pretty good and well executed, but the last thing the world needs are more 10"-15" woofers that work well in smallish enclosures and have meidocre sensitivity.

It would be nice to see some with 90dB sensitivity, placement can negate some BSC, but why bother with a big cab (even if small for the size woofer) in a room if you net the same sensitivity as a 6" 2-way?

6 ohm was a good call, but makes them harder to use in pairs for home audio.

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
                  They look pretty good and well executed, but the last thing the world needs are more 10"-15" woofers that work well in smallish enclosures and have meidocre sensitivity.

It would be nice to see some with 90dB sensitivity, placement can negate some BSC, but why bother with a big cab (even if small for the size woofer) in a room if you net the same sensitivity as a 6" 2-way?

6 ohm was a good call, but makes them harder to use in pairs for home audio.
                  Usually the xmax and power handling make the subwoofer a better option than a 6" midwoofer in a 2-way even if the sensitivity is the same...Sensitivity in a subwoofer is not the most important spec, but one of many for consideration. Watts are cheap, but you need the correct balance of sensitivity, power handling, xmax, frequency extension and cabinet size. There's plenty of high sensitivity 10-15" drivers out there as well, but you'll loose some other features to get it, low frequency extension is high on that list. So then you need even larger driver to get the extension back, like 18-21-24", and now the speaker is a bit too big for your wife to approve. ;)

FWIW I am using a pair of 10" XXLS in my latest project, they have a sensitivity of 90dB, but achieve this partially by having a lower than the norm impadance, closer to 3 ohms than the 4 ohm nominal rating. Great speakers, just love 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                    Usually the xmax and power handling make the subwoofer a better option than a 6" midwoofer in a 2-way even if the sensitivity is the same...Sensitivity in a subwoofer is not the most important spec, but one of many for consideration. Watts are cheap, but you need the correct balance of sensitivity, power handling, xmax, frequency extension and cabinet size. There's plenty of high sensitivity 10-15" drivers out there as well, but you'll loose some other features to get it, low frequency extension is high on that list. So then you need even larger driver to get the extension back, like 18-21-24", and now the speaker is a bit too big for your wife to approve. ;)

FWIW I am using a pair of 10" XXLS in my latest project, they have a sensitivity of 90dB, but achieve this partially by having a lower than the norm impadance, closer to 3 ohms than the 4 ohm nominal rating. Great speakers, just love 'em.
                    DSP and cheap watts FTW!!!!!!

Comment

Because subs typically have very high power handling, if the Xmax is high enough, you can easily exceed the output of a driver with higher sensitivity but with lower power handling and a lower Xmax. My RSS265HF's are only rated at 350RMS (thermal) but they get cooked daily with almost 700RMS per driver and they handle it just fine.

DSP and cheap watts......exactly.
                      Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

The Merlots
                      Scanspeak R2904/7000's,
                      Scanspeak 15M/4531K00's, Dayton RSS265HF-4's,
                      MiniDSP 2x8, class D amplification

Sennheiser HD650's

Comment

I wonder where it will price out at?
                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                          I wonder where it will price out at?
                          My guess is higher than the XLS line. No point in developing a new driver to sell it for less than a popular pre-existing design that has paid for itself many times over.
                          Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

The Merlots
                          Scanspeak R2904/7000's,
                          Scanspeak 15M/4531K00's, Dayton RSS265HF-4's,
                          MiniDSP 2x8, class D amplification

Sennheiser HD650's

Comment

The new SDF series was designed to outperform the XXLS and also be more cost effective (that does not mean cheaper necessarily)

Xmax is the most misused spec on a specification sheet, and also misused by a number of manufacturers,
                            the SDF 10" will throw further than the XXLS and also performs better at high excursion than the XXLS series

The frame is very stiff, substantial cast AL, and it has vents between basket and top-plate,

the additional ring that has been noted is to stiffen the frame and prevent flexing and resonance in the basket,

the driver is also has a lot more capability in terms of extremes in power or excursion, it was possible to break an XXLS woofer if you tried hard, the SDF is much much harder to destroy,

there is quite an upgrade here both from the size of the motor and also because it's gone from a 2" voice coil to a 3" voice coil,

Comment

Welcome to the forum George! Thanks for sharing some details. I'm a big Peerless fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X