Running Power to multiple crossovers / AWG selection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Power to multiple crossovers / AWG selection

Hey everyone, I'm working on the Zaph Audio ZDT 3.5 floorstanding speaker build. ( http://zaphaudio.com/ZDT3.5.html). I am looking for feedback on the best way to run power to each of the crossovers. He suggests creating a different board for the tweeter, mid, and woofers.

I believe some 3rd and 4th order crossovers have tweeters running through HPFs, while others run all frequencies to each crossover.

1. Any idea what Zaph is recommending? Looks like he suggests running all freqencies to each of the three crossovers but I'm not sure.
    2. What's the best way to do that? Just "pig-tail" solder the lead from the amp to 3 wires running to each crossover?
    3. How much does wire gauge matter? With a 4ohm load, I am planning on running 10 or 12 awg throughout.

Any help is appreciated. Here is the crossover diagram from the ZDT 3.5 build.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by cpconner View Post
    ...2. What's the best way to do that? Just "pig-tail" solder the lead from the amp to 3 wires running to each crossover?...
    No pigtail, use a terminal bus strip or a Eurostrip terminal block. These allow solid attachment and removal of separate boards..
    The wire gauge is more than sufficient
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

With short internal runs like that, even 16ga is really large. The resistance in wire builds up per foot, 16ga with a 3 foot run is 0.012 ohm and will be completely insignificant.
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
        With short internal runs like that, even 16ga is really large. The resistance in wire builds up per foot, 16ga with a 3 foot run is 0.012 ohm and will be completely insignificant.
        +1.

Comment

Just to clarify for you a bit on the crossover. All frequencies are sent to each cross over section. It's the filters job to attenuate the unneeded freq section for each driver.

The 4ohm load is irrelevant in regard to the ga of the wire. 16 or even 18ga is fine as the runs are short as others have said.

You can either make 3 separate boards or 1 large board with 3 sections, whichever us more convent for you. Just watch coil placement and orientation to each other.
          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Learning everyday. Thanks guys for the quick and helpful feedback. I am going to go with a higher awg as suggested.

Comment

There are on-line images of crossovers for that speaker - note the use of terminal strips for interconnection.

"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

What guage is the inductors? That's a good idea of the guage of wire to use
                A mains
                The Ventures
                Open Invit8tions
                RSR
                Sound Troopers
                Acorns
                DGBG's
                The Monuments

Comment

6thplanet 20 AWG. Any idea if I am causing harm with a larger wire, say 14 or 16 AWG?

​Thanks Sydney for the pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by cpconner View Post
                    ... Any idea if I am causing harm with a larger wire, say 14 or 16 AWG?
                    No harm - work-ability gets harder with larger wire.
                    fyi - that pic was from another forum , but there are numerous build pics out there.

Comment

Awesome, thanks again.

Comment

What he said
                        A mains
                        The Ventures
                        Open Invit8tions
                        RSR
                        Sound Troopers
                        Acorns
                        DGBG's
                        The Monuments