Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make an Audi sandwich, the hard way.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow Kevin just heard about this! So sorry to see you guys dealt with this but glad to hear it wasn't worse! My vote is it's good tje airbags didn't deploy, typically they cause more injury than the accident itself, and very good chance you'd be nursing airbag injuries right now. In recent years manufacturers have raised the threshold on when they deploy for that very reason. And I hear you on the frustrating tow experience, happened to me once with AAA, we waited for 5 hours on the side of I5, but when the tow trucks get busy it can happen, good call on driving the car, did what you had to do! Glad you guys made it out ok!
    --
    Javad Shadzi
    Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

Wow man! That's a horrible situation to be in! I'm also glad you and Kole came out relatively unscathed. Rental car agencies are seriously one of the worst. My friend's wife has a horror story too... She was a passenger in a rental car that someone else drove into a river while in the rain. All parties in the car were OK, and all had signed the rental agreement, making everyone legally responsible... but guess who the rental car company tried to make pay for the car... Not the guy who drove it into the river, nope... let's go after the back seat passenger. The "business decisions" some companies make goes far beyond cold and callous. Do all you can to get this behind you and de-stress!

Again... glad you and Kole are ok!
      Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
      Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks

Comment

Glad everyone is ok. We had a scare on the way down having to slam on the brakes on the interstate. Seems like the summer always has a lot more accidents.
        -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Glad you guys are OK. F the car and F the speakers for that matter.

As a matter of discussion, anyone is using 4 second rule while driving?
          http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

One car length between vehicles for every 10 mph of speed. I know this is usually not attainable in busy traffic, but that is how it should be. This gives you enough time to stop.
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
              One car length between vehicles for every 10 mph of speed. I know this is usually not attainable in busy traffic, but that is how it should be. This gives you enough time to stop.
              Wolf
              I'm usually a very cautious driver (35 years/no accidents) and maintain more than enough room. In this particular case, I blew it. Was tired and ready to be home. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "Most accidents happen close to home", now I know why they say it. It was Dallas which didn't help matters at all (tons of construction and almost always bumper to bumper traffic).
              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
              Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
              The Archers
              Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
              The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                ...As a matter of discussion, anyone is using 4 second rule while driving?...
                I try, but it is impossible to maintain that spacing.

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                  I try, but it is impossible to maintain that spacing.
                  Yup, especially on a highway with some traffic. If you leave 4 seconds, someone always slides in between and you have to slow down and create another space cushion all over again.
                  I had my parents in the car with me for this MWAF and found myself purposely being more cautious than normal... it was a challenge to keep proper stopping distances the whole way... more so the closer you get to major metro areas.

It seems the tighter traffic gets, the more folks like to weave in and out of it. As if driving a rental car wasn't a stressful enough activity by itself, add 'lane weavers' into the mix and it can make you just want to camp in the right lane until you get there.

TomZ
                  *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                  *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Glad to see you are okay.

When I first saw this post I thought you might have been involved in the accident north bound 75 Saturday evening. Was heading back from MWAF around 5 and got stuck in it. Police closed the freeway for several hours since there was a casualty.

Be safe out there folks...

Agree with Tom, you leave too much room and someone is bound to fill it in. I always am watching the car one or two places up, if I can't see it due to a large vehicle I back down and give space.

Comment

I was stuck in that mess for about 2 hours. Truck was on its side, and they funneled 3 lanes off at an exit. TV crew was there when I finally got loose.

Later,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                        I was stuck in that mess for about 2 hours. Truck was on its side, and they funneled 3 lanes off at an exit. TV crew was there when I finally got loose.

Later,
                        Wolf
                        Luckily, I had just fired up Google Maps shortly before I came up on the backup and it told me to take the exit a few hundred feet in front of me. It safely and quickly routed me around the accident so I didn't have to sit in traffic. Sometimes technology and smart phones can be really helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by 1100xxben View Post

Luckily, I had just fired up Google Maps shortly before I came up on the backup and it told me to take the exit a few hundred feet in front of me. It safely and quickly routed me around the accident so I didn't have to sit in traffic. Sometimes technology and smart phones can be really helpful!
                          Ha, my wife and I always marvel at our GPS unit. It has a third antenna line in the power cord which is supposed to receive traffic updates through FM I think... it usually declares to us... "Traffic Ahead"...... after we've been sitting in it for about 10 minutes. Yeah, thanks a lot.

TomZ
                          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by 1100xxben View Post

The Google is darn effective at that these days, my wife and I trust it heavily. I won't even use built in GPS systems in cars and instead pop on the phone because of the extra smarts.

It's also darn impossible to deviate from Google's stated arrival time by much, darn thing is constantly figuring out what is going on and probably even how I'm driving. It was fun back at the beginning of the GPS nav thing to take the ETA as a challenge and beat it.
                            Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                            Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
                              The Google is darn effective at that these days, my wife and I trust it heavily. I won't even use built in GPS systems in cars and instead pop on the phone because of the extra smarts.

It's also darn impossible to deviate from Google's stated arrival time by much, darn thing is constantly figuring out what is going on and probably even how I'm driving. It was fun back at the beginning of the GPS nav thing to take the ETA as a challenge and beat it.
                              I agree, I think Google is much better these days, especially since they bought Waze. Waze is tough to beat for traffic, since it is the actual people riding (I want to stress the riding part) in the traffic reporting it real time.

I think GPS in cars will quickly vanish and be replaced by phone interfacing systems like Carplay. Funny report I read stated that factory GPS is actually lowering the trade-in value, since it is so costly to update and even after that it is still out of date.

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                                Yup, especially on a highway with some traffic. If you leave 4 seconds, someone always slides in between and you have to slow down and create another space cushion all over again.... add 'lane weavers' ...
                                That's the scenario. A lot of unnecessary "vying for position" .
                                I got rear-ending by a driver distracted while calling her daughter less than a half mile away.
                                I also knew someone who wrecked while distracted by looking at GPS
                                Makes me desire Autopilot even more.
                                "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...
                                X