Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best table saw or custom built setup for large speaker enclosures?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best table saw or custom built setup for large speaker enclosures?

So far for the speaker woodworking I have done (large speakers, cabinents, etc) I have only been using a circular saw and stands to cut large wood. This has been timing consuming (setting up the guides, etc) and often can't get long cuts to be perfectly straight.

Any suggestion on a good table saw/stand combo for nearly perfectly straight cuts and easy of use? Looking to upgrade my entire rig before I build anymore speakers.

You will get many replies to this question. All, or most of them will be sound, it just depends on your skill, patience and setup preference as to what to do.

I'll share my setup with you and why I setup the way I did.

Grizzly cabinet saw with table extension. To that I added a roller out-feed. Future plans are to add an in-feed table and two tables, one each side of the roller for cutting larger panels. Bear in mind my shop is a dedicated 30 x 20 space. As for why this setup..... I work alone most of the time and have a fondness for MLTL's. This arrangement allows me to put a whole sheet on the table and the high quality fence makes straight cuts very easy.

The saw alone is in the $1k range, if you are inclined the in-feed/out-feed tables can be made as a DIY project(s). Good luck with your quest for saw perfection. Oh, and don't forget a top performing blade makes all the difference in the world.
    If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
    ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

As Ed noted above, you will get a lot of different answers and in the end it will be up to you and your budget and your space.

I went to the local classified ads (Kijiji where I am, Craigslist etc, in other areas) and got a full cast iron top Ridgid table saw for $350 CAD. The new ones run about $700 CAD. It has casters so i can roll it off to the side of my garage as I don't have dedicated shop space.

Good luck - lots of guys here that know a thing or two about saws and shop setups!

Comment

I have a very old Rockwell contractors table saw with a very nice aftermarket fence, which I lucked into on Craigslist. But I've been seeing a lot of people suggesting getting a tracksaw for doing wood panels and cutting up big plywood sheets rather than a table saw. Nice thing is they don't take much space when you're not using them.
        Free & Free-form simulator/designer for Passive Crossovers
        SynergyCalc 5: design spreadsheet for Wooden horns and DIY Synergy Waveguides
        Super easy and cheap to make high performance sound diffusers

Comment

I asked a similar question some time ago and got a lot of good advice:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ng-wobbly-cuts

I don't have the space for a big outfeed table for my saw, so what I've done for long cuts is to just use a circular saw with a guide. You'll still get a wobbly cut, but cut it a bit larger than you need. Glue up the cabinet with a bit of overhang, and use a flush trim bit with the router to make a nice edge.
          Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Best bet is festool's rail saw, about $600 and you'll never look back. It won't be good for small cuts, but for panel cuts, it's never gonna get better.
            https://www.festool.com/Products/Pag...ne_tauchsaegen

Comment

Oh an sorry I forgot, It cuts on the same axis no matter what angle. so where you mark it, it cuts it. So at 11", it will cut a 45 degree or straight cut at the same mark.

Comment

Here's my setup. A delta Unisaw with a 52" unifence, Excalibur sliding table, and 4'x4' outfeed table. Does well with full sheets and large enclosures.

Comment

Working...
                X