Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Satisfying headphone listening experiences?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dthomas View Post
    I have these... I travel 100K plus miles a year with them and they are 2 years old and look like new. They are definitely comfortable... (9hr plus flights) and they are full range and pleasant to listen to.

https://www.amazon.com/Symphonized-W...nic+headphones
    Those actually looks pretty nice for the price. But clicking on your link led me to these cool retro style Panasonics:
    https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Hea...K5HB2Q00JM738S

They get good reviews, so I wonder how good they really are, but I do like the retro style.
    Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

I've been enjoying a pair of sennheiser hd579 for the past few days....$149

Comment

I had a chance to listen to some Bowers and Wilkins cans. I was very impressed. I'm not crazy about the rectangular shape, but looks rank low when auditioning headphones. I believe the P7s impressed me the most. $350. If I ever decide to buy some good cans, I'm pretty sure I'll be looking for these.
        I was at a Best Buy that had a Magnolia sound section. I believe many guitar shops also have headphones you can audition.
        Mike
        "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
        Bismarck, North Dakota
        My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
        My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

Do you wear glasses ?
          Some cans are not comfortable if you're a four eyes like myself .

Comment

Dude! Finally something I can chime in on.

When I got into headphones, I was a broke student.
            I still have a "thrifty mentality" towards sound.

A few:
            Philips SHP9500--clear, cohesive, very musical, good soundstage, doesn't need an amp--low impedance. Around $60. These used to be Philip's top headphones before the Fidelio ones came out. The X2 is the upgrade. I prefer these over the AudioTechnica M50S (V shaped sound signature, a bit clinical to my ears) and Grado SR60i (great trebles, not much bass, good headphones).

Sony V6-- sealed, built like a tank, has a fairly tasty balance between clarity and enjoyment. My sister's favorite headphones. These are the headphones that I hate liking. Sometimes these are around $56, usually higher. Needs quite a burn in to sound good. Low impedance, so limited benefit to amp.

Koss Portapro-- retro looks. Not the final say in treble, clarity, or resolution, but very satisfying and cohesive. The headphone equivalent to Paul's Overnight Sensations.

At higher cost:
            Philips Fidelio X2-- supposed to be better than the SHP 9500 in pretty much every way, but at 4x cost.

Meze 99 Classics-- my current headphones. Like a closed version of Sennheiser 600/650 apparently. Luxuriously made. Warm, very musical without losing too much clarity. Would likely benefit from amplifier.

Sennheiser 600/650/6XX-- a reference for a reason. I've never owned these, but have never heard a Headfi guy speak bad of these.

I hope these help?

Personally, I'd boil it down to what you like listening to.
            For really cheap--koss portapro.
            For open, no amp-- Philips SHP9500 (I'd still be perfectly happy with mine, if I didn't lend a pair to a friend to get over his depression).
            For closed, no amp-- Sony V6 (I hate to admit it's good. IMHO, better than the ATH M50S)

Btw, if you want a really good IEM, I'd recommend the iBasso Carbon Tenore.
            These look like crap. The cables are thinner and flimsier than the $1 ones.
            The sound is AMAZING--it's a solid upgrade to my Sony MH1c, which are way better than most UE in ear phones that I tried.

But to the OP, I definitely would go for the Philip's SHP9500 for $67.
            https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP95...hilips+shp9500
            They got a massive boost after Zeos reviewed them.

Btw, I wear glasses. Those are some of the most comfortable headphones I've seen.
            Also for a closed can, it's hard to beat the Meze 99 for comfort. I was debating between the OPPO PM3 and the Meze. No regrets.
            Last edited by mlau; 09-09-2017, 09:49 PM. Reason: I wear glasses

Comment

Those Meze 99 headphones looks pretty nice, and the price isn't crazy either!
              Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                Those Meze 99 headphones looks pretty nice, and the price isn't crazy either!

I can definitely vouch that they are well made, sound nice, and comfy! :D
                But they're a bit over the OP's price range. I bought mine used for $202, as there's pretty much nothing that can't be user serviceable.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

I can definitely vouch that they are well made, sound nice, and comfy! :D
                  But they're a bit over the OP's price range. I bought mine used for $202, as there's pretty much nothing that can't be user serviceable.

I auditioned a bunch of $150+ headphones recently and you most certainly get what you pay for. I did not expect the sound quality I experienced. I never took headphones seriously until now because the <$150 ones I heard just weren't that great. Certainly not as good as my speakers. Spend a little more though and that changes.

I tried out the Meze, Fostex TRP-50, HiFiMan 400(s), Sennheiser 598, and I think one or two more. Wow, all of them sound great in their own way. I settled on the Sennheiser as they sounded more like my speaker setup. I liked them so much I got the 599s...oh man, they sound so ****ing good it's crazy. Almost exactly like my 2 channel setup.

Now I Iisten to my headphones more than my speakers. I know some people are really into the 'flattest' sounding headphones like the Sonys. I tried them before and got a headache. They are perfect for mixing but I don't think their intended for actual music *listening*. Two totally different activities. But some people really like them.

And yes, I think open back sounds amazing. Don't think I can go back to closed unless I have to.

If you haven't heard phones in the $200 and up range you're missing out. Wish I'd known sooner, would have saved myself tons spent on speakers...

Comment

I don't feel the need for anything more than Sennheiser PX100 ii. I used to own Sennheiser HD650 for over 10 years but only sold them recently because the little PX100 do everything I want.

Comment

Not exactly high end but I picked up a pair of Nakamichi ANC80 headphones with active noise cancellation from Newegg. Decent sound and they really cut down on background noise. I use them when I'm walking on my noisy treadmill that's next to the laundry and a dehumidifier. I used to have to crank up the level to drown that noise out and with these I don't have to. I wish the ear cups were a little bigger but I really like the stereo mini jack input that I can use any cable I like with and the volume control on the ear cup. On sale right now for $25.

Ron
                      C-Note Iron Driver Build
                      The Lydias
                      The Cherry π's
                      The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
                      My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post

I auditioned a bunch of $150+ headphones recently and you most certainly get what you pay for. I did not expect the sound quality I experienced. I never took headphones seriously until now because the <$150 ones I heard just weren't that great. Certainly not as good as my speakers. Spend a little more though and that changes.

I tried out the Meze, Fostex TRP-50, HiFiMan 400(s), Sennheiser 598, and I think one or two more. Wow, all of them sound great in their own way. I settled on the Sennheiser as they sounded more like my speaker setup. I liked them so much I got the 599s...oh man, they sound so ****ing good it's crazy. Almost exactly like my 2 channel setup.

Now I Iisten to my headphones more than my speakers. I know some people are really into the 'flattest' sounding headphones like the Sonys. I tried them before and got a headache. They are perfect for mixing but I don't think their intended for actual music *listening*. Two totally different activities. But some people really like them.

And yes, I think open back sounds amazing. Don't think I can go back to closed unless I have to.

If you haven't heard phones in the $200 and up range you're missing out. Wish I'd known sooner, would have saved myself tons spent on speakers...

I only heard the Sennheiser 598 when passing by a friendly bearded hipster in the subway.
                        We tried out each other's headphones. I think mine were the SHP 9500 at the time.

You should really consider the Sennheiser 6xx series sometime.
                        I hear that these are really, really good.

But Yep--open back is much nicer if your environment allows.
                        Also lets your ears breathe more.

Comment

just wondering how many are running a dac/ amp combo for you cans? i wound up needing new headphones and after lots of reading i settled on the ATH-M50x paid $149 not that long ago. they replaced some HD419's i had, the band finally gave out, no way to replace it. the drivers were still good but just wouldnt stay on any more so they went in the trash.

i had always wondered if a Dac/Amp combo would be better then using my computer's onboard, which is a Realtek ALC1150 guess it is good for on-board.
                          anyway i picked up a Schiit Modi 2 uber dac
                          http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-2
                          then i got the Magni 2 uber
                          http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-2
                          running the setup using the USB dac vs the rca in or optical cable in. the bass is a bit tighter as well going a bit lower. really not sure how else to describe how much better it sounds with the amp/dac setup.

one thing that i think helped me choose headphones, i cant recall the site right now. it had measured responses of the headphones, i know my hearing is bad around 16k so i really didn't focus on heaphones with alot or high treble. i focused more on mid-range and bass response, i dont think i could have chosen better cans in the $150 area. keep an eye out on amazon, for a short time these cans were $126.
                          that reminds me, i lucked into a buy with massdrop for some HIFIMAN HE4XX Planar Magnetic. if enough requests come in for another run, they will do it.
                          https://www.massdrop.com/buy/43927
                          they were a buy in at $169, the 3750 run filled up pretty fast. they said they should be shipping sometime in december.

Comment

The Schiit stack should be pretty great.

While I haven't heard the Hifiman headphones, I would expect them to be pretty great. I just haven't had the spare funds.

As for DAC/amp, it makes a bigger difference with high impedence headphones. A friend explained that some better sounding headphones have heavier drivers that need more juice.

Perhaps that's why I stick to low impedence headphones?
                            I did join the grace DAC on massdrop, as I could always connect it to a speaker amp in the future.

My understanding is that most onboard DAC/amps on motherboards and phones are "token" components, like integrated graphics vs a dedicated graphics card.

You will notice the difference in your Schiit stacks and pc output.

Comment

the HE-4xx is some kind of massdrop only cans, suppose to be similar to the higher end HE4 series cans, not sure how different. that was the jist i got after reading the forum on massdrop about the cans. figured why not, im prolly never going to have the space or tools to build speakers, cans it is!

o, here we go!
                              https://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...tic-headphones

Comment

You should really consider the Sennheiser 6xx series sometime.
                                I hear that these are really, really good.

But Yep--open back is much nicer if your environment allows.
                                Also lets your ears breathe more.
                                While I love my HD600s, they offer almost no isolation. I was surprised that I can still hear the AC kick on. Some have mentioned the clamping force is too strong, but I find them very comfortable.
                                Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Working...
                                X