MWAF Score Sheets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MWAF Score Sheets

I got my Score Sheets in the mail today, and I was pretty happy with the results with a minor exception. One of the judges gave a higher "originality/design" score to a simple 2-way sealed bookshelf than to a dual-opposed side-firing woofer with front-firing mini line-array design. Go figure. I definitely need to step up my "game" for next year.
    Eric L.

Got mine too.... Project 21, "Hybrid Vigor"
    Judge 1/2/3

Clarity-----------------:8/5/6
    Craftsmanship------:7/6/7
    Dynamic Range----:7/5/6
    Originality/Design--:6/5/7
    Soundstage/Image:8/7/8
    Tonal Balance------:8/5/7

Judge 1:
    #1- Good up front image. Great drum. Lots of detail. Great overall on #1.
    #2- Okay on rain. Great on keys. Great on image on storm.
    #3- Great bongo sound and placement. Good vocal. Fun, good pace.

Judge 2:
    Space and image very good. Voices good. Balance good but a little light. Transients okay, a little congested.

Judge 3:
    Great soundstage, well balanced vocals. Slight lower treble sibilance.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm not sure what a little light means in Judge 2's response, unless he meant bass extension. The congestion definitely comes with being off-axis on a design like this.
    Judge 3's 'slight lower treble sibilance' is something that is accurate, and it's very slight. Metal cone wide-range with LCR to tame it, and you can only go so far before something is missing.

I'm pretty happy with how they scored. They apparently excel at soundstage and imaging. I knew I wouldn't place, but they were still fun, and I still had fun!

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by brkitup View Post
      I got my Score Sheets in the mail today, and I was pretty happy with the results with a minor exception. One of the judges gave a higher "originality/design" score to a simple 2-way sealed bookshelf than to a dual-opposed side-firing woofer with front-firing mini line-array design. Go figure. I definitely need to step up my "game" for next year.
      Originality should either be much better defined to the judges, or preferably done away with and a more appropriate catagory like dynamics replace it.
      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Project 22, "Plumbers Delight"
        Judge 1/2/3

Clarity--------------------:9/10/6
        Craftsmanship---------:9/9/7
        Dynamic Range-------:8/9/5
        Originality/Design----:10/8/9
        Soundstage/Image:---9/10/7
        Tonal Balance---------:9/9/6

Judge 1:
        #1- Very Cool!! Clear on #1, Very stable image on #1, Good brass sound.
        #2. Great vocal. His voice is very complex & this do it well.
        #3 Big sounds clear. Very, Very good!!

Judge 2:
        Bass thin but clear. Overall balance otherwise good. Transparency & imaging very good. Transients good. Separation of instruments & voices very good. Space & imaging very good.

Judge 3:
        Decent tonal balance, beaming/harshness in the lower midrange. Sound is alot bigger than size suggests.
        SideTowers: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...corundum-build
        Totally Flat: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5-totally-flat
        Plumber's Delight: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...notech-winners
        Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 4thtry View Post
            Project 22, "Plumbers Delight"
            Judge 1/2/3

Clarity--------------------:9/10/6
            Craftsmanship---------:9/9/7
            Dynamic Range-------:8/9/5
            Originality/Design----:10/8/9
            Soundstage/Image:---9/10/7
            Tonal Balance---------:9/9/6

Judge 1:
            #1- Very Cool!! Clear on #1, Very stable image on #1, Good brass sound.
            #2. Great vocal. His voice is very complex & this do it well.
            #3 Big sounds clear. Very, Very good!!

Judge 2:
            Bass thin but clear. Overall balance otherwise good. Transparency & imaging very good. Transients good. Separation of instruments & voices very good. Space & imaging very good.

Judge 3:
            Decent tonal balance, beaming/harshness in the lower midrange. Sound is alot bigger than size suggests.

Very interesting. They were good enough to win at InDIYana, so I was curious why they didn't place at MWAF. "Clarity---------------9/10/6". I guess the judges heard them quite differently. It can't be easy being a judge, but a 10 and a 6 for Clarity is surprising. I don't quite understand the "Dynamic Range" scores either, since they present themselves very well as a small speaker capable of extreme dynamics, IMO.
            Eric L.

Comment

You know, on the MWAF site there was no mention of the added category, Dynamic Range, but I think it was a good addition, and it lessened the impact a bit on the scoring from the two non-sonic categories, Craftsmanship and Originality/Design, for those who want to see the speakers judged on performance only. Anyway, following Wolf's template:

Project 11 (Brioso)
              Judge 1/2/3

Clarity-9/10/9
              Craftsmanship-9/9/10
              Dynamic Range-9/9/9
              Originality/Design-6/8/8
              Soundstage/Imaging-9/10/8
              Tonal Balance-9/10/9

Judge 1 (Jerry, I'm sure):
              Track 1-Very involving. Lots of details in the music.
              Track 2-Good vocal. Grit in the vocal, good!!! His voice has grit, these bring it out.
              Track 3-Big. Fun. Clear. You can hear the mix well.
              Very good!!

Judge 2 (Matt, I think)
              Overall balance excellent.
              Imaging and definition very good.
              Space very good. Voice separation very good.
              Excellent overall performance.

Judge 3 (Tom, by default)
              Excellent, high WAF.
              Excellent overall tonal balance.
              Clear, even bass response.
              Personal favorite so far.

Looking at overall averages, including all factors scored, gives a score of 8.89. If you count only the 4 performance categories, it's 9.17.

Apparently Jerry didn't think they looked very original, and that's okay. I obviously can't complain about the scores in their totality.
              Paul

Comment

Project 31, "Peanuts" Under $200
                Judges 1/2/3

Clarity------------------------ 9/9/7
                Craftsmanship------------- 10/10/10
                Dynamic Range----------- 8/7/6
                Originality/Design--------- 10/10/9
                Soundstage/Imaging----- 10/9/6
                Tonal Balance-------------- 9/8/7

Judge 1:
                #1 Excellent Image, good bass, drum is off to the left...good!, effortless sound
                #2 Ok rain, great keys, great image on storm, layers of sound...great.
                #3 Great pace and rhythm, fun to listen to! bass just a bit wooly on this track

Judge 2:
                Space and imaging very good. Balance very good. Voice separation & detail very good. Transients & inner detail excellent. Dynamics good.

Judge 3:
                Love the design. Full bodied bass response, very nice woofer/tweeter blend

averages---------------------9.3/8.8/7.5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, judges one and two definitely liked my design better than judge 3, it just goes to show that opinions vary, and there is no absolute right sound.
                Last edited by ugly woofer; 07-25-2017, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Strafi. #5

Judge number 1 - big image on number one great! Lots of detail on the music. Effortless sound on number two, good! Lynard would be proud! Number three OK. I like these a lot! Thanks!!

Judge number 2 - lower bass weak, balance a little hot in upper mid, good imaging and depth. Bump in upper bass lower med. Definition good, transients good in mid and upper.

Judge number 3 - beautifully built, well balanced overall high frequencies are quite directional surprising low-end

Clarity - 9/7/7
                  Craftsmanship - 10/10/9
                  Dynamic Range - 9/8/8
                  Originality/Design - 9/9/8
                  Sounds Stage/imaging - 9/8/5
                  Tonal Balance - 9/7/8

Total average - 8.3

I wonder what the hit for craftsmanship was, and the 5 on sound stage is a head scratcher though a horn design will suffer from dispersion directivity, but these speakers image like crazy. Overall can't complain about the overall assessment or score, stiff competition this year!

--
                  Javad Shadzi
                  Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

Got mine in today and copied Ben's format.... Project 24, "The Gandalfs"

Judge 1/2/3

Clarity-----------------:10/10/8
                    Craftsmanship------:10/10/9
                    Dynamic Range----:9/8/7
                    Originality/Design--:10/10/8
                    Soundstage/Image:9/10/8
                    Tonal Balance------:9/9/7

Judge 1:
                    Way Cool, very well done.
                    Details great on #1
                    OK image on #2
                    Needs a sub for #3

Judge 2:
                    Definition and spacing very good. Transients very good. Bass clean but a little weak on bottom. Voices excellent. Mid and high balance very good. Very clean.

Judge 3:
                    Good overall tonal balance, seem slightly heavy in the lower midrange.

Totals: 9.5/9.5/7.83 Overall Average: 8.94

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judge 3 is one tough customer and I'm not just talking about my speakers, there's a pattern. As I recall, I didn't tow the arrays in at the competition (they're not towed in at the house) and perhaps this was a mistake. I suspect Judge 3 was Tom and he was in the middle so this seat at the judging table would not have been as favorable, especially since I put the tweeters to the outsides. Still, very pleased with the results overall and will put an emphasis on improving my skills for the performance categories of the judging this next year.
                    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                    The Archers
                    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                    The Gandalf's

Comment

Curious to read scores and comments of a certain speaker that didnt place. Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

My entry was Progresso Compresso (the huge horn made from cardboard, soup cans, and 3" drivers)

Clarity -------------------1/1/3
                        Craftsmanship---------6/3/4
                        Dynamic Range-------2/1/5
                        Originality/Design-----10/7/8
                        Soundstage/Image---2/2/3
                        Tonal Balance----------3/1/2

*It is hard to know what they were thinking about craftsmanship, that would allow them to give it any more than a 2. I guess they might be recognizing better from worse uses of cardboard?
                        *Dynamic range was its obvious failure. It quite literally blew a gasket on the loud notes. How did it still get a 5?
                        *Only one judge (in the middle) was in a position to hear any stereo effect, so the other two judges probably should have given it a zero, based on what they could hear.
                        *The tonal balance, like the stereo imaging, would have been affected by listening on/off axis, but I really don't think the balance was that bad.
                        *The only category I was really trying to punch up was originality, so I am glad one judge allowed me a 10 on that one. I admit that I had to make some decisions that compromised the design (such as making it fit in my van, and light enough for me to lift, and minimal investment in tweeter and crossover), so I guess I shouldn't complain that the other two judges docked me points on that category. Still, I find it interesting that some projects with less innovative visions got higher scores than mine got on that category.

When the scores higher than I expected are averaged in with the scores lower than I expected, the overall result is probably what I should have expected.

And, like Wolf, fun was had.

-Meredith

Comment

Working...
                        X