Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to make a bass reflex cabinet for TriTrix MTM TL speaker set..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to make a bass reflex cabinet for TriTrix MTM TL speaker set..

Hi to all.. i am a newly here and i would lie to have some info before i start to make my speaker cabinets..
    I have ordered this set : TriTrix MTM TL and would like to make not TL cabinets but Bassreflex Cabinets..
    i did found a project what i would like to build but i saw no where the sizes this build have.. maybe someone does know and could tell me..
    Here i found the set i would like to build :
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/25355-tritrix-towers-work-in-progress?t=206622
    i hope someone could help me out with this..

Best regards Ozzy

Last edited by Ozzy; 08-11-2017, 05:55 AM.

Hello

I'm assuming you've purchased the audio components, but not the cabinets? If you have the cabinets as well, I suggest build it as the TL design, they are great speakers and there are countless happy customers.

I know one tenth of not much about speaker design, but I don't think you can adapt a TL cabinet to a vented design with the same dimensions: at the least, it will most likely have different frequency response, etc anyway.

If you have the parts only, Mr Campbell designed a bass reflex (aka vented enclosure) for which the plans are on his website 'Speaker Design Works'. Look for "Tritrix vented".

I've built these as I didn't have space for the TL, and they sound great, especially for the price!

Good luck

Geoff

Comment

There is no reason you can't stick the Tritrix drivers in a bass reflex enclosure. Keep the same baffle width and driver layout and the crossover will work exactly the same. You will give up a little bit of deep bass compared to the large floor staning TL towers, but not much. I think Curt might even have plans on his website for a bass reflex version.
      Expensive caps need time to break in. More expensive caps take a long time. Cheap caps sound great right out of the box.

Why I don't spray in first gear: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/...t=100_2585.mp4

Comment

As the others have mentioned, Curt has drawings for the bass reflex design and it can be found here: http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Tritrix19vented.gif

All the details of the design can be found here: http://speakerdesignworks.com/Tritrix_pg_1.html

Comment

NB this is an excellent DIY project, with a simple crossover. The Parts Express crossover assembly video on the product page is well worth checking out, too.

Don't forget to rebate the drivers, particularly the tweeter, for optimum sound. My cabinets have a removable back panel to allow for any repairs and allow me to experiment with damping material.

Also, I suggest using a speaker grille, as the DC28 tweeter has a sticky dome which will attract dust and pet hair. I used the PE speaker grille kit but you could make your own too.

I'm really enjoying mine and maybe in time will make the TL cabinet and swap the parts to the new speakers.

Geoff

Comment

Thank you all for these advices...
            I indeed have only the speaker kit without the cabinets...
            I will go for the vented design... as the tl version is way to deep for my living room.. Now i saw that the vented is 19.3 litters but i could go for 22 litter also.. so i could win some hight where i don't need speaker stands...
            I also will order indeed the grill as i do have a cat ..and i live in cyprus where it can be dusty... loll

Best regards Ozzy..

Comment

Excellent! Take some pictures and share them here.
              Expensive caps need time to break in. More expensive caps take a long time. Cheap caps sound great right out of the box.

Why I don't spray in first gear: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/...t=100_2585.mp4

Comment

Now ..my set arrived and i started the build's..
                Cabinet design is made.. i choose for 22 litter cabinets which are vented.. Also there will be a separate compartment at he bottom.. this i will fill with clean sand..
                Then the Cross Over will be in a separate enclosure witch also will function as ground plate... ( So if i want i can change parts if needed.. )
                Also planning to make sure i am able to BI-Wire or Bi-Amp this speakers....
                Already have one speaker running now.. found out that they like heavy stuffing... and also port length needed to be shorter then calculated...as on calculated length there was a huge mismatch...
                First impression : I really like the sound.. and as comparing i used my other speakers witch are : Acoustic Energy 109..
                The Acoustic Energy do need less power to reach a high level of sound.. but also give up faster by reaching mechanical limits...
                Also These A.E. 109 speakers are way more aggressive... Kinda boomy bass and screening mids..
                Anyway for now i like my own build better and still need to break in...

Here some Pictures.. from the first speaker cabinet and filters i made...

Comment

Those crossovers look very neat, well done, and the cabinets look good, too. Mine look very, um, 'home made'.

By 'huge mismatch', do you mean that they had too much, or too little bass?

The Tritrix will sound even better after a few hours' 'breaking in'.

Welcome to the wonderful world of DIY!

Geoff

Comment

Hehehe... The huge mismatch was port was to long and thus not enuf bass.. port worked at about 35 hz now it works on 45 hz... but seems to improve the overall bass of the speaker....
                    And i also like the bass much better then the Acoustic energy speaker.. it is not louder but more heavy or solid....

Comment

And here a pic with stuffing...
                      lowest compartiment is the one i will fill up with sand...

Comment

At the moment i am testing different internal wiring .... found out that a pair of twisted cat 5 ( so 4 strings total, two strings per connection ) for the tweeters.. And 2 by 2 pairs of twisted Cat 5 ( 8 strings total.. so 4 strings per connection ) works here for sure as the best.. i have a deep base very clear mids and highs.....

i also have tried 2.5mm2 solid cable for the woofers and 1.5mm2 for the tweeters.. this completely killed the mid and high.. bass was present.. but was really horrible to listen...

As for my bass reflex port.. i ended up by calculated size time's 0.7..... this seems to be perfect for my cabinets....
                        The speaker you see is not ready.. screws will not be there when i will finish.... ( new baffles i will make ) As this is only for testing... But man o man...!!! it sounds fantastic... this in compare with my Acoustic Energy 109.. ( and they already sound great hehe... But they will move to an other room.. !!!!

Comment

Looks good: I would just fill and sand the baffles as they are! I use 16 gauge speaker wire for all my builds and connections, it's fine.

If you think they sound good now, they will sound even better with a few more hours of music.

Geoff

Comment

Here a little update with pictures.... i still need to do a lot on the cabinets like rounding the corners and lots of sanding and painting.. also i now started to make the Crossover housings.. which will be mounted under the speakers... this way i will be able to make changes if in a later stadium this is needed..
                            for now i have running them about 30 hours ... they sound fantastic.. and in my opinium better then the Acoustic Energy 109 speakers i have...
                            They simple blow me away.. with detail.. Bass/mids/Hights and power.... i am so happy i have started this project.. as it is my first serious speaker build...but no regrets at all...!!!

PS : Tools i have used are pretty basics as i am not a woodworker... used are : Router, Battery Drill, Hand Saw, Circle hand saw, glue, solder iron.. so pretty basic stuff...
                            Attached Files

Comment

nice, very clean build! thank you for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                              X