Illinois Stories PBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois Stories PBS

Legacy's factory still looks like a mom/pop operation...15 or less employees, which surprised me. Their build process is not unlike the way we DIYer's build.

I found his tuning technique interesting. It begins at about 22 minutes in. Enjoy!

Marvin

Thanks for sharing the link. I enjoyed the driver comparison at the end...lol

Comment

that was a good watch ... i thought it was interesting that they roll their own inductors but used what looked like buy out caps .
      Paper Towers
      RS180P/28F surrounds
      Boombox

Comment

Interesting, especially the woodworking part. I was not particularly impressed with some of it in regard to crossovers and raw drivers, especially at the end. The "comparison" audition of two raw drivers (Focal and Seas?) of unequal diameter, as just one difference among many, on a stool facing upward to demonstrate the "superiority" of the one that he uses was rather misleading with regard to quality in actual use. He also said that they "voice" each pair of drivers. Matching left/right within some tolerance is one thing, "voicing" a pair is a bit of a stretch.

dlr
        WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

That comparison was kind of apples to oranges, but if it was apples to apples, the reporter and viewers probably couldn't hear a difference. Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Comment

Good watch, wish I was doing that for a living sometimes....
            A mains
            The Ventures
            Open Invit8tions
            RSR
            Sound Troopers
            Acorns
            DGBG's
            The Monuments

Comment

Hi Marvin,

Very interesting! I've been to the Legacy factory a couple times. Bill is showing his age.

Legacy speakers, I owned several different pairs and center channels, were my entry into the audiophile world back in the late 80's which eventually pushed me into DIY in 2002. After blowing several drivers in a pair of Signature II's from a shorted "bargain" Ebay preamp and $850 later for repairs at the Legacy factory, I finally figured out the the "boom & sizzle" comments on the audio boards I frequented then were actually correct. Bill's voicing and my ears didn't agree.

Now you guys are stuck with me.

Jim

Comment

My father in law did a kitchen remodel or something for that guy. He told me the speakers looked amazing. Not sure if he was able to listen to anything. Thanks for sharing the video.

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
                  Interesting, especially the woodworking part. I was not particularly impressed with some of it in regard to crossovers and raw drivers, especially at the end. The "comparison" audition of two raw drivers (Focal and Seas?) of unequal diameter, as just one difference among many, on a stool facing upward to demonstrate the "superiority" of the one that he uses was rather misleading with regard to quality in actual use. He also said that they "voice" each pair of drivers. Matching left/right within some tolerance is one thing, "voicing" a pair is a bit of a stretch.

dlr
                  ​"Voicing" probably means that they compare the sound of new, unused drivers to a "reference" driver. Fairly easy to do.

Comment

​"Voicing" probably means that they compare the sound of new, unused drivers to a "reference" driver. Fairly easy to do.
                    I had said drivers, but I think he said voicing each system pair. It was at the point where he was showing a mic set up (roughly) midway between each side of a system and looking for nulls using pink noise using a very basic RTA. That may have been only for demonstration purposes for the reporter. But his mic wasn't on a boom, had a second strapped tightly beside the first one, hardly a quality setup IMO. No mention of any measurement scheme otherwise, whatsoever.

dlr
                    WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

you guys, this was dumbed down as simple as possible for the general viewing public. I have no interest in Legacy speakers, I think they're pretty cheesy, but I don't think we need to pick this apart too much.

Comment

Working...
                      X