Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLCS Woodworking and monthly magazine. Being sued?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLCS Woodworking and monthly magazine. Being sued?

I ordered two bits and a guide thing to measure the 45 degree cut with a lip in it. Can't remember the name of the part. That's beside the question. Ordered the parts just like any other website and it came in fine. This was 2 years ago.

Today I receive a call about the magazines they'be been sending. I never signed up for them. They just show up apparently. Junk mail perhaps is what one would think, or a kind gesture, or a few sent for whatever reason. Received a call about being sued for the magazines. What's going on? Anybody else ever get a call like that? Did you ever order from MLCS and still receive their magazine?

I receive a magazine from Parts Express and never been called about being sued. What the hell.

Possibly a new scam - both my wife and I suddenly started receiving magazines we never read and didn't subscribe to.
    I would be very hesitant to give any information to anyone calling you.
    Lots of scammers these days.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I presume it's a subscription magazine and not a flyer. Perhaps you left a box check marked when you placed your order for the parts.

In the past, I've asked the vendor to show me my signature on the magazine order to prove i ordered it - shut down that issue right away. If it's with a collection agency, there are standard letters you can find on the web requesting legal verification of debt. Copy and edit and mail it off to them. They shouldn't bother you after that. Collectors make money by going after the "low hanging fruit', not the people that put up a defense.

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
        Possibly a new scam - both my wife and I suddenly started receiving magazines we never read and didn't subscribe to.
        I would be very hesitant to give any information to anyone calling you.
        Lots of scammers these days.
        Thanks for the heads up man. What if a person received said magazine every month for the last two years though but didn't see anything about signing up for it at checkout.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
          I presume it's a subscription magazine and not a flyer. Perhaps you left a box check marked when you placed your order for the parts.

In the past, I've asked the vendor to show me my signature on the magazine order to prove i ordered it - shut down that issue right away. If it's with a collection agency, there are standard letters you can find on the web requesting legal verification of debt. Copy and edit and mail it off to them. They shouldn't bother you after that. Collectors make money by going after the "low hanging fruit', not the people that put up a defense.

Awesome. Thank you. All info is helpful.

Comment

I just saw a charge on my credit card statement billing me $105 for an Amazon Prime upgrade... I never signed up for this... that I was aware of. They do have a habit of having options to sign-up next to every checkable option... I may have clicked the wrong thing... or my wife may have. Anyway, an online chat put an end to that right away. I HATE being charged for something I did not specifically ask for.

Found this semi-related: http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...al-extras/scam

Sounds like good advice here, hope you make out okay!

TomZ
            *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
            *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

They have to prove that you signed up for it. If not postal regulations state that any unsolicited items delivered by the USPS are considered gifts. Besides, just like the with the IRS, legitimate contact would always be by mail, not by phone. That points to it being a scammer, probably someone who hacked into the MLCS mailing list to obtain your information.
              I just saw a charge on my credit card statement billing me $105 for an Amazon Prime upgrade
              FWIW I saved the cost of the Prime membership on shipping alone in the first four months, let alone the video content. Of course you need a smart TV to take advantage of the latter. Now instead of waiting until I've got a list of stuff I want from Amazon that totals at least $50 to get free shipping I get whatever I need when I need it, and it's always 2nd day delivery at no extra charge.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                They have to prove that you signed up for it. If not postal regulations state that any unsolicited items delivered by the USPS are considered gifts. Besides, just like the with the IRS, legitimate contact would always be by mail, not by phone. That points to it being a scammer, probably someone who hacked into the MLCS mailing list to obtain your information.
                FWIW I saved the cost of the Prime membership on shipping alone in the first four months, let alone the video content. Of course you need a smart TV to take advantage of the latter. Now instead of waiting until I've got a list of stuff I want from Amazon that totals at least $50 to get free shipping I get whatever I need when I need it, and it's always 2nd day delivery at no extra charge.
                I do think that Prime is a good deal. I figured it out last year and I spent about $45 on shipping last year and expect to spend less this year by a bit. Video content? Don't you know I spend all of my free time on Tech Talk? It does make sense to get prime for a lot of people, I just don't want it to be a surprise, you know?

TomZ
                *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by xsundown View Post
                  Thanks for the heads up man. What if a person received said magazine every month for the last two years though but didn't see anything about signing up for it at checkout.

I LOVE the advice given by billfitzmaurice - if they can't prove you agreed to pay for it, it's a gift.
                  But, boy, there are a lot of scams these days.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                  "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                  SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                  My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                    I do think that Prime is a good deal. I figured it out last year and I spent about $45 on shipping last year
                    Without prime I could do that in two months if I didn't bundle up orders to get to the free shipping minimum. With it I don't hesitate to buy a five dollar item. It's completely changed my shopping habits. I'm not the only one, that's why they have to hire an additional 50,000 people. My only regret is that I didn't buy a thousand shares of their stock 20 years ago at $1.50 a share.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                      I just saw a charge on my credit card statement billing me $105 for an Amazon Prime upgrade... I never signed up for this......
                      The same thing happened to me and it took 2 extended phone calls to get the charge removed

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Wish Id bought the stock at $95 6ish years ago for that matter!!

Comment

I know of another member here that ordered from MLCS, and received a brochure now and then. He ordered once, and only one item. They never called him for money for it nor was the prospect of being sued mentioned.

Later,
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

My thought as well, although places like MLCS don't typically want to chance antagonizing their customers by introducing something like a magazine offer on the order page.

Strange.

Comment

Working...
                            X