Confusion on some subwoofer plate amps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion on some subwoofer plate amps

Hey gang, quick question on some of these subwoofer plate amplifiers.

Some of these plate amps have high-level inputs but not outputs to the speakers (for instance the Dayton plate amps.... they have high level in and then outs.) For the plate amps that DO NOT have the high level speaker outputs, do you simply make a Y-cable off each speaker output from the source to operate a 2.1 setup?

Hope that makes sense. I'm fairly certain I'm right in that I just make Y-cables but wanted to make sure before buying something.
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Most wouldn't have speaker outputs, or for that matter high level inputs, because with x.1 AVRs there's no need. The AVR powers the main speakers directly, the crossover functions done by the AVR, the sub input signal sourced from the AVR sub output. Those made to use with an old style stereo receiver would have a high passed speaker level out for the mains, but as it typically consists of an NPE cap 1st order filter it's a marginal arrangement at best.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Thanks Bill, but I'm using it for a ZONE2 (my backyard) application which only has speaker outputs.
      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

In that case you have no choice but to use one with speaker outs. You can't Y the signal from the receiver as that won't high pass the mains at all.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Gotcha! Thanks! I guess a Dayton is pretty much my only option through PE.....

Well...actually..... This will get mated with a pair of Classix IIs...... do you think I could just pass through to them?

Comment

bump!

Comment

I'm not familiar with them, but as a rule if you need a sub then you don't want to be sending low frequencies to the mains.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                Gotcha! Thanks! I guess a Dayton is pretty much my only option through PE.....

Well...actually..... This will get mated with a pair of Classix IIs...... do you think I could just pass through to them?
                Joey,

You shouldn't have a problem playing the Classix II's full range. Just keep an eye on excursion with higher volume levels.
                Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by mattp View Post

Joey,

You shouldn't have a problem playing the Classix II's full range. Just keep an eye on excursion with higher volume levels.
                  Thanks Matt!!! quite excited about this whole project. Should be pretty cool.

Comment

I always thought the high level speaker inputs were to allow connections where line level was not available. And the speaker outputs were just a daisy chain connection for convenience, no HP filter involved. Looked at a few plate amps on PE and non mention a HP filter. That may be different with 2.1 plate amps that use line level inputs and provide output power to L-R in addition to sub.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                      I always thought the high level speaker inputs were to allow connections where line level was not available. And the speaker outputs were just a daisy chain connection for convenience, no HP filter involved. Looked at a few plate amps on PE and non mention a HP filter. That may be different with 2.1 plate amps that use line level inputs and provide output power to L-R in addition to sub.
                      +1. And most of the regular plate amps DO have high level inputs. Using a large capacitor as a high pass works fine in most instances.
                      Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Some of the plate amps at PE have a 150uf cap between the high level in and outs. This varies per model and vintage, and some just have a jumper where the caps would be installed. It wouldn't take much to snip and install in those cases. Normally, it was a JunFu 100v 150uf electrolytic cap.

Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                          Some of the plate amps at PE have a 150uf cap between the high level in and outs. This varies per model and vintage, and some just have a jumper where the caps would be installed. It wouldn't take much to snip and install in those cases. Normally, it was a JunFu 100v 150uf electrolytic cap.

Later,
                          Wolf
                          I agree, but unless I am mistaken, I do believe that that was more the case with some of the vintage ones rather than recent ones. I am not sure if recent ones have a cap inside. They certainly don't mention it.
                          Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                            ... and some just have a jumper where the caps would be installed. It wouldn't take much to snip and install in those cases. Normally, it was a JunFu 100v 150uf electrolytic cap.

Later,
                            Wolf
                            Good to know. It might be possible to install a cap between the high level in/out on many that never intended to include a HP. And you could pick your own value.

Comment

Working...
                            X