Nice workbench option for about $250 or less

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice workbench option for about $250 or less

Thought I'd share, I built this workbench in about 30 min for about $250 all in, but it could be even cheaper if you wanted. Now granted I know one could build something for free using lumber on hand, etc, but the point of this bench is it's very good quality and can be assembled quickly in minutes. With some good caster wheels it's the type of professional bench you could consider in a manufacturing setting.

These steel legs are nice and cheap, and are adjustable in height.

I considered making my own top out of MDF but liked the fact that this one came ready to go, it also got a little damaged (one corner got bumped) in shipping and Amazon knocked $80 off once it was delivered.

And his bracket reinforces the legs, a piece of lumber could also easily be substituted

And I used a piece of 4' wide plywood to make a lower shelf, I reinforced it with some pieces of 3.5" wide 1" thick stock

I was surprised how expensive ready made work benches were so this seemed like a good affordable option, with options to make it even cheaper if you'd like to invest some sweat equity.

Thanks!
    Javad
    Last edited by JavadS; 08-07-2017, 01:23 PM.
    --
    Javad Shadzi
    Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Cool,
    that's a decent size, but not too big. I have some rolling door tables which I love but sometimes they are too big for the project at hand. Nice find.

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

I made a similar sized workbench out of 2 x 4 and MDF. I don't remember the total cost, but it was way less than $250. I hand picked through the lumber for nice straight pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by View Post
        I made a similar sized workbench out of 2 x 4 and MDF. I don't remember the total cost, but it was way less than $250. I hand picked through the lumber for nice straight pieces.
        Yes, see my statement "Now granted I know one could build something for free using lumber on hand, etc, but the point of this bench is it's very good quality and can be assembled quickly in minutes"

For $250 this could be screwed and bolted together in about 10 minutes or less, it also looks quite professional once finished

--
        Javad Shadzi
        Bay Area, CA

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
          Cool,
          that's a decent size, but not too big. I have some rolling door tables which I love but sometimes they are too big for the project at hand. Nice find.

TomZ
          Tom yes, this was the perfect size for me, but the cool think is you could build one in a very modular way in many different lengths, the feet are the same and then you just choose whatever top and reinforcement plate you want. I chose the 4' reinforcement strap and 5' top so I got a little bit of overhang on each side.

Thanks!
          Javad
          --
          Javad Shadzi
          Bay Area, CA

Comment

Nice n quick, who doesn't need more workspace?

Comment

If you have a Habitat Restore or similar salvage place handy you can use a solid core slab door for a table top. I'd show you a picture of mine but you can't see it for all the stuff piled on it. Someday I'm going to clear it off so I can use it again.

Ron
              C-Note Iron Driver Build
              The Lydias
              The Cherry π's
              The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
              My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

I'm digging those legs and can see a future use for them, nice contribution, Javad...but, you could've saved a hundred bucks and got a solid core door slab from any home improvement store. They're about $60-65 for a 36" x 80", less for narrower widths, they typically come in 24", 30" and 36". 1.75" thick. No holes or hinge recesses in them, smooth, solid. The only trouble with them is that they're really heavy and difficult for 1 guy to move...but, once in place, it's a really solid work bench.

Comment

What is the lowest height those are can adjust too? I am going to build a paulk workbench and use it as an outfeed table. The folding legs for the paulk bench is approx 2 sheets of plywood so these legs may be a better option. My table saw is 37" tall. So i need about 8"-10" below that.
                  My Build Thread's
                  Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
                    What is the lowest height those are can adjust too? I am going to build a paulk workbench and use it as an outfeed table. The folding legs for the paulk bench is approx 2 sheets of plywood so these legs may be a better option. My table saw is 37" tall. So i need about 8"-10" below that.
                    Hey Mike the legs go from 29-33 inches plus whatever your top thickness is and if you put feet on it.
                    --
                    Javad Shadzi
                    Bay Area, CA

Comment

Originally posted by emilime75 View Post
                      I'm digging those legs and can see a future use for them, nice contribution, Javad...but, you could've saved a hundred bucks and got a solid core door slab from any home improvement store. They're about $60-65 for a 36" x 80", less for narrower widths, they typically come in 24", 30" and 36". 1.75" thick. No holes or hinge recesses in them, smooth, solid. The only trouble with them is that they're really heavy and difficult for 1 guy to move...but, once in place, it's a really solid work bench.
                      Good to know I'll consider that for the future! In this case the top showed up at my house and I screwed it to the legs and was in business, was exactly what I needed. Thanks! Javad
                      --
                      Javad Shadzi
                      Bay Area, CA

Comment

Thanks Javad!
                        My Build Thread's
                        Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

My cousin and I "dumpster dived" a medical building that is being gutted and re-built, and pulled out a 2" thick solid core door that if it weighed 10 pounds more we couldn't have got it. 8' x4'8" ( bed sized) and I trimmed it down and cut off the locking handle and used some left-over 4x4's I had for legs, but I really like the metal legs. I could put a frame under the top and install a woodworking vise and a wood panel vise on the end. Cost is very reasonable to me.

Comment

Wow these doors are a great option! I stopped by Home Depot yesterday and they have 80" long by 32" wide solid doors, these things must be over 100lbs and have a nice birch veneer for about $70 each, with no holes in them Man these things would make an incredible speaker enclosure too! I'm moving soon and will be more permanently locating my work shop, I'll plan on doing a bunch of benches with these! Thanks, Javad
                            --
                            Javad Shadzi
                            Bay Area, CA

Comment

Looks like they're a few bucks more in your parts. And, yes, they are really heavy and I have used them for baffles in the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X