Seeking impedance mismatch solution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking impedance mismatch solution

I purchased a Pioneer car receiver from Crutchfield, and see in the manual a warning that the receiver must have at least 4 ohm speakers. My factory speakers are 2 ohm. Crutchfield says no issue, will work fine. Pioneer says no, must have 4 ohm speakers. Is there a anything I can buy/build that will fix the impedance mismatch?

I'd believe Pioneer, not Crutchfield, unless they guarantee it in writing. I'd send it back and get a unit that's 2 ohm rated.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
      I'd believe Pioneer, not Crutchfield, unless they guarantee it in writing. I'd send it back and get a unit that's 2 ohm rated.

I wish it was that simple, but there pretty much is no such thing as a 2 ohm car receiver. I guess the only option is replace speakers with 4 ohm, but was trying to avoid that. I was hoping there was network I could put together that would help with the impedance mismatch?

Comment

Add in a small amp. Not many head units rated for a 2ohm load. Adding resistors to increase impedance is not a good idea. They will heat up and could be a fire hazard
        https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
          Add in a small amp. Not many head units rated for a 2ohm load. Adding resistors to increase impedance is not a good idea. They will heat up and could be a fire hazard

this . or replace your speakers .
          Paper Towers
          RS180P/28F surrounds
          Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by 4TSIXER View Post
            there pretty much is no such thing as a 2 ohm car receiver.
            The one that came with your car must be.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

I'd buy/use 4 ohm speakers. One other unusual possibility is to series wire two sets of 2 ohm speakers. 2 + 2 = 4.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                The one that came with your car must be.
                i'm guessing Bose , i know they use different impedance in their systems .
                Paper Towers
                RS180P/28F surrounds
                Boombox

Comment

Could be Bose, but lots of OEM units use 2 ohm drivers. Where separate amps are concerned even 1 ohm ratings are common, so why replacement head units wouldn't come in 2 ohm is odd.
                  www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

not sure Bill . but depending on the year make and model there is no such thing as a simple head unit switch any more !
                    Paper Towers
                    RS180P/28F surrounds
                    Boombox

Comment

Not with my BMW, that's for sure. Nothing about it resembles anything I've seen before. The dash HU is a tuner/player only, digitally connected to the trunk mounted amp. If you want to add a powered sub you need a special 3rd party breakout wiring harness that includes a DAC to provide an analog signal for the sub amp.
                      www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Working...
                      X