Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. Letter to Photobucket...

Howdy Photobucket users...

I am pretty upset about the changes regarding Photobucket's terms and 3rd party hosting being pulled. I still have pics showing up, but that's because I opted for ad-free use at a minimal fee. I'll be out of luck soon enough as well.

Rather than just be mad and grumble about things... I generally write a letters to tell a person/organization how I feel and why. I wonder if we all did this if they would possibly reconsider their position on upping the price to an unreasonable level. I feel it's worth a try and couldn't hurt. I have hundreds and hundreds of pics in mostly Tech Talk threads that represent but a few lines in a greater novel about how we all do our craft... but if they are all lost... what a shame for future newcomers getting into this hobby.

Here is a sample of a letter I plan to send them shortly...

To Whom it may concern:

I've been a loyal Photobucket customer for many years, using the free version mostly to host pictures on forums based on my hobby, speaker building... I've also used Photobucket to order pictures, canvas prints, and mugs occasionally as well. Recently I purchased the 'Ad-Free' version when advertisements on the free version started slowing things down almost to the point of it being unusable.

It's come to my attention recently that many of my online forum friends have had their pictures no longer hosted by Photobucket. It seems that you want $400 to continue with '3rd party hosting.' That is a large amount of money for someone to pay just to have pictures hosted on a forum for a hobby.

I realize that it costs money to host pictures and I was very willing to pay $20 a year to have a place to host my pictures, but $400 is out of the question, it's over half of my yearly budget for my hobby. I'm suspect you will not only loose many of your '3rd party hosting' customers with this move, but also aggravate your customers with what appears to be a 'ransom fee.' People on the forum I frequent are very upset at the large and unexpected price hike and sudden loss of service. Some of us have hundreds of pictures linked to forums which provide a valuable service for instruction and furtherance of many various hobbies.

I'd be willing to pay $20 to $30 a year or so for picture hosting as long as I don't have to deal with ads slowing things down to a crawl, but aside from that it looks like once you stop hosting my pics on forums, I will have no choice but to stop using Photobucket and move to another hosting service. It's a shame because you've really ironed out some bugs with the software and it was pretty easy to use. I was starting to really like it again. Rest assured, when I leave, I will never come back... not after this move.

What will you do when most of your customers leave because of obvious price gouging? I'd like to keep using Photobucket but you have to price things within reason.

Please reconsider your new price schedule,

Respectfully,
    Thomas Zarbo, Jr.,
    Long-Time Photobucket user

Who's on board letting them know how we feel about them holding our pictures for ransom?

Like I say, it may do nothing... but at least we tried. Maybe someone in management there has a brain and a heart all in the same body and would be willing to reconsider a more reasonable price schedule.

Just something to think about...
    TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

You can have your own website to host your pictures for under $50 per year, and of course you can use it for much more than just that.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
      You can have your own website to host your pictures for under $50 per year, and of course you can use it for much more than just that.
      True... but between all of us on Tech Talk, there are literally thousands upon thousands of pics that belong in specific threads that tell a story. Without pics, much of the narrative gets lost.

TomZ
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

It's frustrating for sure. IMO, Photobucket has been garbage since about 2008. I reluctantly, and rarely use it to host photos for forums. I'd rather use imgur or tinypic or something else now, but I already have lots of stuff in my Bucket.

Comment

I noticed that in a lot of older threads, photobucket was asking for an upgrade. I'd just let them collapse on themselves, they won't last charging their outrageous fees. And another, better service will take over. As usually happens.

I'd suggest imgur for anyone looking for a photo hosting service. Google photos also works well.

Comment

Tom- there is a place on their website with tons of people's responses to this price hike; some from non-profit organizations, some from other such entities that were using it because it was free. And- it appears that they do not care since there are already so many of these there on their website. While I'm not one to let something slip by I don't really feel this letter is something that will fall on listening ears.

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I keep saying it ...Fototime. $25 a year and it creates BBC code for direct links to pics and you can create a link for the size pic you want.
              "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
              The Roxster
              Swopes 5.0
              Acoustic Panels
              Living Room Make Over

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                Without pics, much of the narrative gets lost.
                With your own website you can save thousands of pics on it and post links to them. For instance, this is saved on my website, I have no need for photobucket or any other photo hosting site:

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Paper Towers
                  RS180P/28F surrounds
                  Boombox

Comment

that was posted from my photobucket account .in the code, ~original , is added after png .like so ,beet7a.png ~original[/B][/IMG] . not sure how long this hack will work , but it does work .

had more code but i hope ya get the idea .
                    Paper Towers
                    RS180P/28F surrounds
                    Boombox

Comment

Working...
                    X