No announcement yet.

Raspbery Pi with Dac or Digital out board

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspbery Pi with Dac or Digital out board

Rather then buy a Bluesound Node 2 or Aries Mini, I was thinking of going the Pi route with a digital out board and Volumio. I could feed one of my Emotiva DACs via the SPDIF out. Who has had good luck with a Pi based streamer? The recently released Allo DigiOne board seems like the new gold standard.

I am tempted to try the DIY route rather than purchase the complete package, more for the fun than anything else.

They have a trial going on over at Audio Circle.

Do you have a link to that?

This earlier thread may interest you.

When my Squeezebox SB3 died about two years ago, I couldn't (initially) identify a drop-in replacement, and instead bought a Bluesound Node 2. I really liked it--it was well-made, sounded good, and was easy to set up and use. The only problem was that I couldn't keep the thing connected to my wireless network. It would work fine for hours, but it would often drop off the network after a period of inactivity. So, it was often disconnected when I sat down to listen. A reboot always fixed it, but that was a pain. I spent a lot of time with Bluesound support, but we never could resolve the problem.

After that, I bought a Raspberry Pi (2B) with a HiFiBerry Digi+ board and set up piCorePlayer on it. It emulates a Squeezebox, so the Logitech Media Server setup on my PC didn't need to change at all. For the UI, I use the SqueezePad app on my iPad (or, occasionally, the Logitech app on my iPhone). It has worked perfectly, and I'm extremely happy with it. Since I set it up in December 2015, I think I've rebooted the Pi just once or twice. It's set-and-forget; it just works. (That probably also means my piCorePlayer software is way out-of-date, but that's not much of a concern to me given how well everything is working.)

I've never tried Volumio or any other software on the Pi, but I wouldn't hesitate to take the plunge if you're interested in the Pi at all.

You might consider Allo's Boss DAC. Looks like it's actually cheaper than the DigiOne. You could then remove a component (Emotiva DAC) from your chain.

I've been through a number of DIY DACs, which I really enjoyed building and using. I got the Boss DAC to having something a little more turn-key, and it's largely killed my motivation to keep tinkering with more DACs. There are a number of subjective reviews out there, virtually all positive. Most seem to confirm my own experience, which is that its value (i.e. bang for buck) is hard to beat.