Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any real downsides to an external passive crossover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any real downsides to an external passive crossover?

Assuming that the wiring, connections, and components are of sufficiently high quality, are there any downsides to having a passive crossover in a separate external enclosure? I am leaving myself the option of going with an active crossover (MiniDSP) in the future for my next speakers and I just want to make sure that I'm not losing anything by putting the passive crossover 3 or 4 ft. further away and using a pair of binding posts for each driver.

Any reason not to do this?

No downside whatsoever other than WAF which is itself debatable.

Comment

Some people think it's better, because of the lack of vibration on the crossover parts.
      Francis

Comment

Binding posts are okay but consider using a 4 conductor speakon connector system. Cheaper, high performance, and dramatically faster/better ergonomic performance.

Comment

Binding posts are okay but consider using a 4 conductor speakon connector system.
          Yeah, good call. I used speakon for my last subwoofer and I've been really happy with it.

Comment

I've been doing it for a number of years and I know a few other people here have as well. Nothing wrong with it at all. It is a huge convenience if you plan on tweaking in the future.
            Your results may vary.

Comment

The only real caveat to watch out for is the wire length from the output of the crossover to the transducer (as well as the gauge of the wire). For example, if your external crossover is 20 feet away from the transducer, then there's going to be a lot of added resistance in the cable length. Depending on your crossover topology, you might need to account for this. But it's really only a problem if using wires > 10 or 20 feet and wire gauge smaller than about 14 gauge.
              DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
              The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
              The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
              The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
              AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

The only way to go if you are into spaghetti art with alligator cables...!

Comment

Working...
                X