Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new MiniDSP 2x4HD has made all my skills obsolete. How about yours?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's kind of funny...

In general, car audio guys have been getting crap for years from the home audio crowd ("why would you even bother", etc... you guys who mess with car audio know what I mean). Yet, active setups with DSPs have been a staple since I got deep in to it about ten years ago. There are some incredibly powerful car audio branded DSPs and the first miniDSP review I did around 2010 was done so for the car audio community. To see the roles reversed where home audio is "catching up" to car audio in this regard is amusing in some ways. I imagine you fellow car audio enthusiasts understand where I'm coming from.
    When you stop caring about being right, you might actually learn something.

My test data site:
    http://medleysmusings.com/

Comment

Not to change the subject, but has anyone set the minidsp as a flat pass through and listened with a better quality setup, not to offend anyone, but I'm thinking something a step up from a sure amp or home theater receiver. I plan to do this sometime this winter when I have more time, but I would like to know how much of a degradation others have found. To be clear, I'm speaking of listening to a completed speaker without altering its response.

Comment

Originally posted by ugly woofer View Post
        Not to change the subject, but has anyone set the minidsp as a flat pass through and listened with a better quality setup, not to offend anyone, but I'm thinking something a step up from a sure amp or home theater receiver. I plan to do this sometime this winter when I have more time, but I would like to know how much of a degradation others have found. To be clear, I'm speaking of listening to a completed speaker without altering its response.
        I've found it to be very transparent (4x10HD) and comparable to the DEQX units I've used.

Comment

Of all the minidsp, the 4x10 was the better quality both in terms of features such as supporting FIR and noise, etc compared to the 2x4. Any opinions on the 2x4 HD? Feature wise I think it's got it all, how's the noise part?

Comment

The naming of the miniDSP units is somewhat confusing. It's related to the timing of the releases.

So the 2x4 is a 2 channel input (RCA analog input), 4 channel output (RCA analog output). The USB connector is for software control only.

The 4x10 HD is a 2 channel input, 8 channel output (analog RCA out) device. But it's called 4 x 10 because it also has 2 digital inputs and 2 digital output. (2in8out + 2in2out = "4x10" It uses the older ADAU1445 DSP so it CANNOT do FIR filters. IIR only.

Independant measurements of the 4x10HD can be found here.
            https://www.neurochrome.com/minidsp-4x10-hd/

The newest is the 2x4 HD- a 2 channel input, 4 channel output. Except the stereo input can be either RCA analog input, Toslink optical input, or USB input. So if the old naming convention was kept, it should be called a 4x4HD.

This unit has a ADSP21489 SHARC DSP, and thus offers FIR filters as well as IIR filters. So amongst other things, it can be used with Acourate, and other convolution engines, and is upgradeable to Dirac Live.

My own measurement of the 2x4 HD from my iMac late 2012 model line-output to miniDSP 2x4HD line input.
            Last edited by tktran; 09-08-2017, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Here's an example of a crossover I made for an Usher X-718 2 way speaker (Usher 8948A 7" midwoofer + Usher 9950 1" tweeter), with an LR4 @2K, compared to the stock crossover.
              This is an unsmoothed frequency, gated. Ignore frequencies below 300Hz.

Comment

Here's another proof of concept.

First image is the Usher X-718, with stock passive crossover, measured at 1m, gated, with phase response shown.

After I corrected for the frequency response and phase response using rePhase, I uploaded it to the miniDSP, then remeasured the same speaker.

Note that you can correct for the frequency response and phase response independantly.

Comment

How do they sound? Are they audibly different with the phase correction?

Comment

Originally posted by rickcraig View Post

I've found it to be very transparent (4x10HD) and comparable to the DEQX units I've used.

Did you use the analog inputs or the toslink?
                    ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
                    DriverVault

Comment

Originally posted by augerpro View Post

Did you use the analog inputs or the toslink?

Toslink / SPDIF.

Comment

The original Mini DSP had very low output and S/N was terrible, did they fix that?
                        Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Yep, 2Vrms in HD https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...minidsp-2x4-hd

I have both 4x10HD and 2x4HD, both receive analog signal from preamplifier (in different sets). One must be careful not to overdrive input signal level and to not use too much digital boost in PEQ settings. The noise level is generous, I can't detect any extra noise or reduced dynamics by listening or in measurements.

Please forget the 2x4 without HD, the HD versions are so much better!

Comment

Looks like no way to use two 2x4HD units together, if you need more than four outputs (say a 3-way stereo setup), you have to go 4x10, $100 more than two 2x4's.

dlr
                            WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
                              Looks like no way to use two 2x4HD units together, if you need more than four outputs (say a 3-way stereo setup), you have to go 4x10, $100 more than two 2x4's.

dlr
                              No way? With analog you can easily use two, just send the right signal to one and the left signal to the other. With SPDIF you'd need a splitter, about $3 part from monoprice.

Here's an image I pulled from a google search:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	miniDSP2x4H-8-way-crossower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1344437
                              "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                              exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                                No way? With analog you can easily use two, just send the right signal to one and the left signal to the other. With SPDIF you'd need a splitter, about $3 part from monoprice.

Here's an image I pulled from a google search:
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1344437[/ATTACH]
                                Can you do that with a usb input?
                                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Working...
                                X