No announcement yet.

Tymphany 830875 same as the old 830875?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tymphany 830875 same as the old 830875?

The price on these is almost too good to be true. https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...ofer--264-1092 One review claims they are not the same as the previous incarnation. Spec's are nearly the same as the old pdf I found Troels Gravesen's site. Anyone used these lately?

Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

That is a good price. It may vary slightly from the ones manufactured a while back, but unless you are determined to build an existing design, what difference would it make. I don't see any reason these would not be comparable in quality. Perhaps these were part of a run that didn't quite meet the intended specs. The dip at 1k is a small concern to me, but that might all but go away once mounted on a baffle. I've been trying hard not to spend any money on drivers, but this combined with a $15 coupon I have is very tempting. The alignments PE suggest don't seem to go very deep though. Did you model the bass response by chance?

Comment

I know it's confusing. I'll le you know when mine arrive this week, but they are probably the 'new' version, as they have had the 'new' ones for years now. Troels' page is linked to the current pdf,but his sims and design are for the 'old'. Check the sim chart specs, they match the 'old'. Funny thing is, his box works for both, though I'm sure the crossover would need adjustment.

Comment

I haven't modeled anything yet. I need more drives like I need a hole in my head.....but the price is almost too tempting. If these are similar to the 5.25" Nomex that I bought years ago, they should be very easy to work with and sound great. Yeah, that dip is somewhat concerning. I hope that one comment is from someone who just plays 'em really loud - like a shop speaker.
        Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

With WinISD, this driver will reach down to 47 Hz in a 0.7 ft3 box tuned to 50 Hz with two 2.0" ports. Excursion at 75 W isn't bad down to 45 Hz and port velocity peaks at 24 m/s. See the pics.

Peerless HDS 830875 - FR Plot.png

Peerless HDS 830875 - Excursion.png

Comment

What do you think of that dip between 900 Hz - 1.5 kHz?
            No matter where you go, there you are.
            Website

Comment

Originally posted by gowa View Post
              What do you think of that dip between 900 Hz - 1.5 kHz?
              I think the baffle will fill it in a dB or maybe a little more. If the x-over is low, the tweeter will help fill it a little more too. On my 2-ways, I use a cap, coil, and resistor across the woofer terminals to notch the response in that range. The values can be tweaked to move the notch lower, but the total filter may get a little expensive trying to totally eliminate the dip that way.

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
                I think the baffle will fill it in a dB or maybe a little more....
                +1. Here's a baffle step response from "Edge" for a 6.5" woofer on a 7" baffle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Baffle Step.png
Views:	1
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1342602

Comment

I don't know whether they're identical, but this seems an incredible bargain: in Australia these are $99 each: even with the postage cost from the US, they still work out cheaper from PE than buying here!

They are seriously good woofers, as used in the "Nomex 164" 2.5 design.

Geoff

Comment

Back over $50 now, guys.

Maybe PE will have these random secret "at cost" sales from time to time...
                    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                      Back over $50 now, guys.

Maybe PE will have these random secret "at cost" sales from time to time...
                      Oh, darn - I was still trying to talk myself into a quad of those

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Got 'em. These are the 'new' ones, qts.36-38, vas21-23l,fs43-45. So they match the ones I had, and they are not the ones Troels used in his Nomex 164. So they are not oddballs, if you got some you can use them with the assumption that you can duplicate the project for at least the near future. I only saw that price because I was considering making another set of an old project, and these are good value at the regular price.

Comment

Working...
                        X