Tangband w6-1139sif don't go deep on loud volume

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tangband w6-1139sif don't go deep on loud volume

Hi people, I just bought a new tangband w6-1139sif and a 2 inch precision port ( because 3 inch need elbows and I can't find them).

If I play the volume on 50% it plays the lows very nice and deep but if I turn the volume up it dissappear. I have to say that there came a lot of port noise and the port is only 7 cm off the enclosure wall.

The strange thing is that I also have the tangband w5-1138smf and if I have a lot of port noise with this speaker it's annoying but the lows don't dissappear.

Does somebody know why this happend?

Greetz

It could be a room issue. Try the subwooofer in multiple locations.
    If you don't mind sharing the specs someone here might be able to help you with any tuning issues with the box itself. Internal volume and port length would be great.

Comment

The inside volume of the box is 13 liter (free space, so exlusif speaker and port). The port is 33 cm long and 5.1 cm thick.

Comment

What amp are you driving it with? Is it possible you're maxing out your amplifier?

Comment

Originally posted by 1100xxben View Post
          What amp are you driving it with? Is it possible you're maxing out your amplifier?
          No the w5-1138smf was driven by the same amplifier..

Maybe it's the room so tomorrow I play the speaker in different rooms or maybe the port is to close to the side wall of the enclosure (7cm maybe 6cm)!

Comment

Your box and port (and port position) all seem to be well within the range of what's considered "normal" for this driver. It can take its rated 50w RMS down to near 30Hz beforre hitting Xmax, with a port velocity maxxing out around Mach 0.08, which WinISD seems "OK" with. Can you run some freq. tests to further help w/diagnosis (I'd suggest 60, 50, 40, 30, 25, and 20Hz)?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
              Your box and port (and port position) all seem to be well within the range of what's considered "normal" for this driver. It can take its rated 50w RMS down to near 30Hz beforre hitting Xmax, with a port velocity maxxing out around Mach 0.08, which WinISD seems "OK" with. Can you run some freq. tests to further help w/diagnosis (I'd suggest 60, 50, 40, 30, 25, and 20Hz)?
              Sorry I don't have measurements tools...
              If I play louder than 50% the bass dissappear so as the room vibration. The speakers, amp and wires are in "test mode" so it's difficult to carry around but this week I will check if the response is different in other rooms.

If the speaker reach xmax with 50 watt on 30hz does this mean that I can't play movies on 50watt with 20hz tones in it?

Comment

50w at 20hz is hard for almost any subwoofer truth is that 20 hz is hard to do with authority.
                You don't need to move the sub to another room just move it around in the room it is in. I tested my subwoofer in 3 locations in my room and each location had a 3 db change. The corner of a room is typically the best location. You can even move yourself around in the room to find the loudest location, then if possible move the subwoofer there.
                You can use your phone as a measurement device there are lots of apps available for free, they are not accurate but they do give you a reference point. You can also use your phone to play test tones, I often google youtube for test tones.
                Hope this helps.

Comment

I'm just wondering WHICH freqs. are going quiet on you (i.e. "everything below 80Hz!", or "only quiet at 25Hz AND 50Hz", or "bass fades away only between 30 and 40Hz" - like that). WinISD can be used as a tone generator. We don't need SPL measurements, just listen and tell us what you hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarface1 View Post
                    Hi people, I just bought a new tangband w6-1139sif and a 2 inch precision port
                    A 2" vent for a 6.5" driver is a bit small (for subwoofer duty). I'd recommend one that's at least 1/3 driver Sd, and more if possible. The Sd for the 1139SIF is 140 cm^2, which suggests that you should be looking for vents that are 42cm^2 or more in cross-sectional area. This can be done with a shelf vent, if you don't want to put an elbow into a Precision Port.

I recently finished a build with a basic 8" subwoofer (PE's DCS205) and opted to use a shelf vent with a 65 cm^2 cross-sectional area (slightly smaller than 1/3 Sd). Even with that, the vent compression started happening just above -6dB below the input level where the driver was hitting Xmax above the vent resonance frequency (Fb). What you might be hearing is the same vent compression effect happening, but at a lower input level because the ratio of Sd to vent cross-sectional area is smaller. It's curious that it's not happening with the other driver though.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Brian Steele; 08-21-2017, 05:35 AM.
                    Brian Steele
                    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Room EQ Wizard is good for this:

1. From the sim (HornResp, WinISD or otherwise), determine the voltage at which the combination of driver, box and vent will have the driver reaching Xmax
                      2. Use the REW Tone Generator, and with no speakers connected to the amp, run a 60 Hz tone through it at -3dB, and and adjust the amp's gain until a multimeter placed across its terminals reads the voltage from step 1 (I chose 60 Hz, because most basic multimeters will read correct RMS voltage at this frequency (=mains AC voltage frequency)
                      3. Stop the REW Tone Generator, and use REW's "Measure" feature and a good mike to measure the output of the subwoofer in 3dB steps starting at -24dB from about 0.7*Fb to 300 Hz, Stop increasing the signal level if the driver starts to exhibit gross distortion.
                      4. Use REW's "All SPL" feature to display all the curves (like my example above). Any vent compression should become readily apparent. You can even overlay the response curves in REW by shifting them up or down using the "Controls" option.
                      Brian Steele
                      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

I'm just wondering WHICH freqs. are going quiet on you (i.e. "everything below 80Hz!", or "only quiet at 25Hz AND 50Hz", or "bass fades away only between 30 and 40Hz" - like that). WinISD can be used as a tone generator. We don't need SPL measurements, just listen and tell us what you hear.
                        It starts with 50 hz a little bit but as you say especially 40hz and 30hz. I have place the speaker in 3 different places in the room but it happend to all. I have to say that maybe it's the inside box problem. So what you say happens in room maybe that's happend in the box itself, so there is no 40hz or 30hz tone that leave the port!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

A 2" vent for a 6.5" driver is a bit small (for subwoofer duty). I'd recommend one that's at least 1/3 driver Sd, and more if possible. The Sd for the 1139SIF is 140 cm^2, which suggests that you should be looking for vents that are 42cm^2 or more in cross-sectional area. This can be done with a shelf vent, if you don't want to put an elbow into a Precision Port.

I recently finished a build with a basic 8" subwoofer (PE's DCS205) and opted to use a shelf vent with a 65 cm^2 cross-sectional area (slightly smaller than 1/3 Sd). Even with that, the vent compression started happening just above -6dB below the input level where the driver was hitting Xmax above the vent resonance frequency (Fb). What you might be hearing is the same vent compression effect happening, but at a lower input level because the ratio of Sd to vent cross-sectional area is smaller. It's curious that it's not happening with the other driver though.
                          Thanks for the info, I want to buy a 3 inch port but there aren't elbows I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by 1100xxben View Post
                            +1, My thoughts as well given the available info. Can your amp handle a 4 ohm speaker?

Comment

[QUOTE=Scarface1;1342736] Thanks for the info, I want to buy a 3 inch port but there aren't elbows I can find.[/QUOTE Hardware store plumbing department
                              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Working...
                              X