Inductor layout ok?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inductor layout ok?

I've got a tight space to lay out the crossovers for a boombox build. It will have a small hollow stand and I'd like to mount the crossovers inside it instead of the cabinet. It only has 4 inductors total and I plan on mounting them vertically inside. They will be spaced close due to the amount of room. Two inductors are 20ga air core and the others are tiny 22ga ferrite cores. Does this layout look ok?

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
    I've got a tight space to lay out the crossovers for a boombox build. It will have a small hollow stand and I'd like to mount the crossovers inside it instead of the cabinet. It only has 4 inductors total and I plan on mounting them vertically inside. They will be spaced close due to the amount of room. Two inductors are 20ga air core and the others are tiny 22ga ferrite cores. Does this layout look ok?
    If that's all the space you have, you really can't do any better I don't think.
    Maybe test them with the DATS once you have them in approx. position to see if the ferrite coils are causing any changes in the other inductors.

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Rotating the second coil from the top and the bottom coil 90 degrees would give more space between those and the other two. Coil cross talk is reduced by the square of the distance between them, so every little bit helps.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
        Rotating the second coil from the top and the bottom coil 90 degrees would give more space between those and the other two. Coil cross talk is reduced by the square of the distance between them, so every little bit helps.
        I thought it was a no-no to be able to 'see' another inductor through the donut hole so to speak?

TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
          Ok, so like this but with a little more space between?

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

I thought it was a no-no to be able to 'see' another inductor through the donut hole so to speak?

TomZ
            Tom's rule of thumb is correct.

Comment

Ok, so like this but with a little more space between?
              That's how I'd do it.

What's most important is that they're separated as far as possible, secondary to that is that they're not on the same axis. In both cases the coils are 90 degrees off-axis with respect to each other, so I'd go with the one that gives the wider spacing.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I've got about 6.5 inches to work with if that helps any. I was looking at this diagram below and couldn't decide on what would be best.

Comment

Your first layout is best.

Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

That diagram, specifically the second arrangement, is misleading. I've proven this with measurements for mutual inductance and voltage coupling. If the perimeters, not the centers, of two coils (the wires, not the bobbin) are 2" or more distant from each other, you have no worries, even with all of the inductors laid down on their end caps the same way. That automatically takes into account inductors with different diameters, which those capacitor tests did not. Still, in your case you probably have to orient them as suggested.
                    Paul

I've got about 6.5 inches to work with if that helps any. I was looking at this diagram below and couldn't decide on what would be best.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X