X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gregbegland
    Midrange Member
    • Dec 2005

interesting new drivers from Radian

PE carries the Radian compression diaphragms, but doesn't seem to offer their other drivers. Sad, because these new models have me interested.

All apparently designed by Igor Levitsky, one of the leading planar/ribbon designers around.

Greg
  • emilime75
    • Oct 2009

Am I missing something? The only "circular ribbon" I saw in the first link were the words "circular ribbon".

And the LT2 in the second link looks suspiciously similar to a BG product.

Comment

• Wolf
      Obsessed & Proud of It
      • Sep 2005

Yep- the coaxes other than the one with the ribbon across it have the ribbons mounted to the rear.
      Interesting,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• emilime75
        • Oct 2009

Ahh, yes, now I see it.

Comment

• tom_s
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Nov 2005

I had always thought ribbons were inherently fragile, at least more so than the typical large format compression driver used in pro-audio. Then Peavey came out with the Versarray. I had read the system sounded really good, but wondered how those ribbon assemblies held up to abuse.
          Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

• gregbegland
            Midrange Member
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by tom_s
            I had always thought ribbons were inherently fragile, at least more so than the typical large format compression driver used in pro-audio. Then Peavey came out with the Versarray. I had read the system sounded really good, but wondered how those ribbon assemblies held up to abuse.

True ribbons, yes. Planars can be very durable and have been used successfully for years in high spl environments by companies such as Alcons Audio and SLS.

Alcons Audio is one of Europe’s leading developers and manufacturers of professional sound systems. Focus on compact and smart products, with maximum flexibility

Incidentally, Igor designed the drivers for SLS way back in the day. I first met him at their booth at an AES convention about 15 years ago.

I am really curious to try the coax ribbons for some high spl cinema applications.

Greg

Comment

• Wolf
              Obsessed & Proud of It
              • Sep 2005

Don't forget Stage Accompany... where's thylantyr now I wonder?
              HiVi had the Pro planars.

Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• gregbegland
                Midrange Member
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Wolf
                Don't forget Stage Accompany... where's thylantyr now I wonder?
                HiVi had the Pro planars.

Later,
                Wolf

Lol, good old Thy. Loved those SA drivers that's for sure. I don't recall the Hi-Vi pro stuff.

Greg

Comment

• gregbegland
                  Midrange Member
                  • Dec 2005

Radian now have the matching waveguides listed. Things are getting more interesting.

Radian Audio New-Generation Planar Ribbon Drivers: The Direct Drive Towards Speaker Excellence! Audio experts and enthusiasts know that speakers based on ribbon or planar-magnetic drivers with thin film diaphragm deliver exceptional sound quality in the mid and high frequency range. Over the years, these designs have p

Greg

PS, anyone got contact info for Igor Levitsky? I'd like to ask him some questions about these drivers.

Comment

Working...