I'm melting coil bobbins. Maybe.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
    Having taken apart a pair of Canton speakers before, this doesn't surprise me. They use incredibly cheap parts in the crossovers. Basically the cheapest possible.
    I'm giving them some benefit of the doubt as the crossover is from a sub so I didn't expect to see poly caps or anything, not at this price point.

I'm less experienced than most here but I do feel the wire on the satellite choke is very fine for something handling 200 and up, though.

Some day this fall I will take it all apart again and do more investigating. I have a feeling that when I do measure the wire diameter and the choke value that you guys will get quite a laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post

I'm giving them some benefit of the doubt as the crossover is from a sub so I didn't expect to see poly caps or anything, not at this price point.

I'm less experienced than most here but I do feel the wire on the satellite choke is very fine for something handling 200 and up, though.

Some day this fall I will take it all apart again and do more investigating. I have a feeling that when I do measure the wire diameter and the choke value that you guys will get quite a laugh.
      Yeah, I don't mean NPE caps. I mean like CAT5 type gauge on the inductors with the ferrite core slugs. Not steel laminate. The cheapest of the cheap that tend to get saturated really quickly. These were even in the tweeter circuit on inductors that were only like 0.2 mH. Cabinets were part particle board. This was on a $3200 a pair speaker.
      -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post

Boy I sure hope my post didn't come off as mean-spirited, I was actually hoping to confirm these small digital amps conformed to the double power into half the resistance rule.

There was no need to apologize, I'm the one that should be apologizing to you guys for the avalanche of dumb questions I tend to post in clusters.
        No worries, the rule of thumb is correct. Bit it's only a rule of thumb ...

Having now looked at the TDA7498 datasheet, the chip doesn't have spec's for 4 ohms. The datasheet doesn't have a minimum impedance spec. either, odd. But the maximum output power is spec'ed at 100 W per channel unto 6 ohms. That could be the chip's thermal limitation or its ability to handle lower impedance - not sure.

Comment

Working...
        X