Help requested: First speaker project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help requested: First speaker project

Hello everyone! So I love listening to music with high fidelity headphones, but my speakers have always been cheapo ones off of amazon. Recently, my speaker system kicked the bucket and I figured it was time for an upgrade. Instead of wasting money buying a pre-built set, I've decided to waste money building my own boombox. I've narrowed down the parts over the last couple days and made a model and crude circuit layout. I think I have everything I need but I just want to run my plan by some people who have done this before so I make sure I have everything and my drivers pair well. I'm looking at 0.75 inch plywood but I'll probably use whatever is around to build the case. I'm using the KAB 230 Bluetooth Amp (plus addons and two Li-ion battery packs) with the HiVi B3N drivers and the Dayton ND16FA-6 tweeters crossed over at 3.5KHz. Each speaker is in its own ~0.16 ft^3 box, the recommended sealed volume, and uses the golden ratio.
    What do you think?
    View of the box next to the default sketchup person Crude diagram of how I plan to wire the speakers to the amp

At the nominal 12V of the LiPo pack, you'll get ~9 W into the B3N - near it's maximum power handling. However, the B3N is a fairly inefficient driver. In a closed box you'll top out at ~90 dB SPL. That's fairly low for any party or outside duty. And that does not account for the several dB loss due to baffle step.

When on batteries, I'd go for a 4 ohm driver and high efficiency. 4 ohm drivers will draw twice the power for any given PS voltage into the amp. Higher efficiency will get you more sound per battery draw.

Comment

Would the Overnight Sensation drivers work in your box?

Comment

Would I be better off with something like this? I'd have to redesign the box but it wouldn't be the first time. If the amp handles 30 watts at 8 ohms that translates to 60 watts at 4 ohms, yes?
        6-1/2" Poly Cone Midbass Woofer 4 Ohm

Comment

Originally posted by howard View Post
          Would the Overnight Sensation drivers work in your box?
          That's not a bad idea, I didn't know you could order kits off of parts express, it might save me some money.

Comment

Why not skip the tweeter and copy this build http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html

Or consider this one http://techtalk.parts-express.com/bl...-foals-writeup they really do kick

Comment

I'd recommend going with a kit, the pre-made crossover in your diagram is a shot in the dark at best. The kits all have custom designed crossovers for the drivers being used, though you will have to put them together yourself (basic soldering skills). Also, with a kit, you won't need the L-pad as it's already accounted for in the crossover design.
              My modest builds:
              Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
              Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
              Armadillo Center Channel
              Au-Rock-O Sub
              Tarkus
              Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

The Overnight Sensations are an amazing sounding little speaker and I'm stunned how much bass they can put out. Our youngest son has been abusing a pair for years now. As nice as they are, you'll have the same problem with reduced output as with the B3N. You need something fairly efficient with that amp & battery.

FYI - pre-built crossovers don't work well 99% of the time. If you don't know how to design a crossover, many fine folks here are always glad to help.
                Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Just had a thought - Chris Roemer's Nano Neo design might be a good candidate for this application. Not the most efficient, but 5db better than the B3N. You'll be stunned by the amount of bass those woofers can produce. - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...highlight=nano
                  Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Ok so I think I'm going to go for a single driver setup, mostly because I want the experience of making my own case as well and want to keep it <$200, preferably no more than 150. I do appreciate some bass but I really love my highs. I especially love brass instruments. Any suggestions for a single driver?

Comment

This goes back to the comments regarding Overnight Sensations...Great build-log and you could customize it to be more boom-box-ish to your liking.

1st Boombox Project - The Madeleine
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-the-madeleine

Comment

Hello, my problem with overnight sensations is that they seem like they will be somewhat quiet when coming out of a battery powered amp. I found these which seem like they might work for a single driver. thoughts? I could also save some money and go with the PS95-8 by dayton audio.
                        Tang Band W4-1337SDF 4" Titanium Full Range Speaker

Comment

The Tang Band is a good candidate. Sensitivity is better than the Dayton - so is power handling. Google it and you'll find a few boombox projects using that as a full range driver. You might want to add some baffle step compensation & tame the ultra top end, depending on your hearing. That top end rise probably wouldn't bother me, since my ears are middle-aged!

Comment

Look up my PicoNeo design. A pair of 3-1/2" drivers. Each side is a ported 0.15cf. NO crossover.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                              Would I be better off with something like this? I'd have to redesign the box but it wouldn't be the first time. If the amp handles 30 watts at 8 ohms that translates to 60 watts at 4 ohms, yes?
                              The "30 W" rating / ch of the KAB 2x30 is simply the maximum the amp can handle - its thermal dissipation limit. The amount of power the amp will put out is a function of the PS voltage and the speaker impedance.

So at 12V and 8 ohms, you'll get 9 W rms / ch. 12 V at 4 ohms will yield 18 W rms. You need higher PS voltage to get more watts for any given speaker impedance.

Now given the KAB amp, you need a 19 v PS to charge the LiPos. So operating while plugged in, you'll get ~22 W rms into 8 ohms and 44 W rms into 4 ohms. But while operating in battery mode you'll drop down to the lower wattage of 9 W at 8 ohms and 18 W at 4 ohms.

The suggestion of the Overnight Sensations is a good one. While they are 8 ohm speakers 9 yielding the lower watt output, the B4N driver is 5 dB more efficient than the B3N yielding almost twice the spl output for any given wattage. In addition, it is a ported design adding additional bass output.

Have a look at "The Madeline" by Gordy; a boom box based on the Overnight Sensations. A beautiful build and lots of tips, see the link below.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-the-madeleine

Comment

Working...
                              X