5" Woofers, need help deciding.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5" Woofers, need help deciding.

Need to decide on a 5" woofer, (and a couple 6.5") to mate with a Vifa XT25TG30-04 Tweeter

Tangband W704
    HiVi F5
    HiVi M5N
    Faital Pro 5FE120
    Faital Pro 6FE100
    Fountek FW 168

Deep bass is NOT a requirement, but smooth integration with tweeter, low distortion and clarity are.

Yes I know quite a diverse set of woofers, but tough to decide not really having heard any in person.

I'd stay away from metal cones to make sure the midbass has enough top-end FR to meet it at 2.2k+.
    That said- the FE120 or F5 would be very likely success stories, IMO, and my choice would be the F5.
    I know the F6 would also be up to the task should you want a 6.5" as well.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Why not FW146? The smaller Fountek will allow for easier integration due to the higher breakup. FW168 has a breakup around 7300Hz, so expect a 3rd order distortion peak around 2450Hz, so ideally crossover freq should be below this around 2kHz. The FW146 on the other hand, has breakup around 8800Hz, so the 3rd order peak is pushed up to 2933Hz, making a crossover around 2.5kHz workable. The XT25 has distortion peaking up quickly below 2kHz, so a crossover above 2kHz is probably a good idea.

Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Yes- the 146 might work. The M5 has a lower FR peak than it does.
        Later,
        Wolf
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
          Why not FW146? The smaller Fountek will allow for easier integration due to the higher breakup. FW168 has a breakup around 7300Hz, so expect a 3rd order distortion peak around 2450Hz, so ideally crossover freq should be below this around 2kHz. The FW146 on the other hand, has breakup around 8800Hz, so the 3rd order peak is pushed up to 2933Hz, making a crossover around 2.5kHz workable. The XT25 has distortion peaking up quickly below 2kHz, so a crossover above 2kHz is probably a good idea.
          So are you saying that a fundamental resonance of 8800 hz will cause a 2900 hz resonance ?
          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
            So are you saying that a fundamental resonance of 8800 hz will cause a 2900 hz resonance ?
            I'm saying the 3rd harmonic of 2900Hz will excite the resonance at 8800Hz. You can see for yourself, a peak in 3rd order distortion a full 10dB higher than the rest of the passband.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FW168-HD.gif
Views:	1
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	1343811
            Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

The Silver Flute 5" has a very similar breakup, both in shape and magnitude. On the surface, it sounds fine. But man, oh man, does it bring the ear fatigue unless you shut it down early.

Wolfy, why not the 704? Your comments suggest it gets last place. I thought it was completely unobjectionable (IMHO).
              nothing can stop me now

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                I'm saying the 3rd harmonic of 2900Hz will excite the resonance at 8800Hz. You can see for yourself, a peak in 3rd order distortion a full 10dB higher than the rest of the passband. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1343811[/ATTACH]
                I agree with that direction. Still not sure how audible it would be after crossover is added.
                craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

The 704 will likely have trouble meeting the XT25. I know of one design for certain where they didn't meet in the middle.
                  It's a good driver otherwise.
                  Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    The 704 will likely have trouble meeting the XT25. I know of one design for certain where they didn't meet in the middle.
                    It's a good driver otherwise.
                    Wolf

I was under the impression the TB W5-704 extended fairly high, from zaph's measurements it went easily over 4k response wise.

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post
                      I was under the impression the TB W5-704 extended fairly high, from zaph's measurements it went easily over 4k response wise.
                      It would work great with the XT25
                      craigk

Comment

What about the RS150P?
                        Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Yep- that would work too.
                          Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I have not heard them, but the Faital Pro 5FE120 has some nice flat looking response curves with an extended high end for a woofer and a smooth roll off. Both of which I think are important for good integration with a tweeter, especially if you prefer simple crossovers. The Tang Band W5-704 graph looks nice also.

Comment

Working...
                            X