Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    If you can get a compatible clear that might save some sand down time
    Thanks John. I think I have that... Rustoleum has a crystal clear enamel topcoat that should be the same formula as their gloss enamel oil base spray paints, just without any pigments added.

I also have plans on a matte finish black racing stripe going vertically around the middle of the cabinets, and the super bee vinyl decals on the sides (those are getting cut on a cricut machine). In my head, I would add the racing stripe and the vinyl decals before spraying the clearcoat, just to lock everything in. Does that make sense, or would I be better off applying the clearcoat now, then wet sanding to remove orange peel, then adding the stripe and decals?

I've never done a proper clear coat before, nor have I bothered to paint a racing stripe or add vinyl decals to things either. All new ground... so what's the right way to do it?
    Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
    Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
    The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
    SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

Personally, I would put the decals on after all the clear coats. Of course, 20 years down the line will take its toll on them. But I think they'll look better during the "new" years.

Comment

I don't mind the orange peel, I consider it akin to a very fine texture that can help hide the most subtle of imperfections.

Comment

Thanks Mike and Phil. If a decal comes off over time, it won't be the end of the world. I also appreciate the positive spin on orange peel in paint What a great outlook!

Comment

If the decal is super thin and it conforms to the orange peel it will look bad, vinyl should be fine. Black matte paint should also be fine if you can get a crisp edge. If this was Lacquer or catalyzed finish I'd say sand, as this is rattle can enamel I would not touch it for a month...
            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Keith, unless you're going to bake the enamel finish, it would be best to take John's advice about waiting a while before wet-sanding. Enamels dry in two stages, first is the evaporation of the solvents and second is the polymerization of the oils in the paint. Solvent evaporation doesn't take long depending on how many coats were applied, but polymerization can take weeks or longer. Baking the paint will accelerate the polymerization process but it's a bit tricky, too hot or the wrong kind of heat (radiant) can mess it all up, especially if there are still some solvents trapped in the coats. I've had pretty good luck using an oil-filled heater placed inside a gaylord box (I'm assuming you know what that is). Place the cabinets in the box with the heater overnight and then give them another full day outside of the box before attempting to wet-sand. I would also suggest some scrap samples painted and cured the same way so you can test the wet-sanding on the scraps before trying it on the cabinets. You'll know if it's still not ready because the paint will roll off instead of sand off. Here's a link to a heater similar to the one I have if you're interested and as always, Good Luck. https://www.lowes.com/pd/PELONIS-150...tat/1000179783
              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
              Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
              The Archers
              Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
              The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                If the decal is super thin and it conforms to the orange peel it will look bad, vinyl should be fine. Black matte paint should also be fine if you can get a crisp edge. If this was Lacquer or catalyzed finish I'd say sand, as this is rattle can enamel I would not touch it for a month...
                Thanks John, I'm waiting a while for this to cure some more... and I'm second guessing my choice of matte black enamel for the stripe. If I'm going to wait longer before applying clear coat, It sounds like I ought to apply some gloss black enamel instead for the stripe (keep the base coat sheen all the same)... then let the whole thing cure for a week or more, then apply the gloss clearcoat and see where I end up.

I could easily see myself going bonkers trying to get a super smooth finish on these, but it's not really the plan I had in mind. They don't look bad by any stretch right now... and my "Honey-do" list is piling up around the house. Gotta tackle that before it hits critical mass!

Comment

Nice work! Here's my yellow speaker for 3rd Man Records.
                  Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
                    Nice work! Here's my yellow speaker for 3rd Man Records.
                    Sweet action, Sir! Do you recall your finishing methods for it? I don't think I plan to go for the literally polished look on these, but I'm not opposed to some elbow grease to ensure a decently smooth finish. Provided of course that I can keep being patient while things dry.

The cabinets have been drying indoors for 2 days now, which is supposedly OK for top-coating according to the rustoleum can instructions. If I trust the can instructions, it sounds like I would be OK to mask off and add a gloss black racing stripe down the middle at this point.

Comment

Even if they are not perfect, this is a really neat project. I am really looking forward to seeing them and hearing them at Indy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                        Keith, unless you're going to bake the enamel finish, it would be best to take John's advice about waiting a while before wet-sanding. Enamels dry in two stages, first is the evaporation of the solvents and second is the polymerization of the oils in the paint. Solvent evaporation doesn't take long depending on how many coats were applied, but polymerization can take weeks or longer. Baking the paint will accelerate the polymerization process but it's a bit tricky, too hot or the wrong kind of heat (radiant) can mess it all up, especially if there are still some solvents trapped in the coats. I've had pretty good luck using an oil-filled heater placed inside a gaylord box (I'm assuming you know what that is). Place the cabinets in the box with the heater overnight and then give them another full day outside of the box before attempting to wet-sand. I would also suggest some scrap samples painted and cured the same way so you can test the wet-sanding on the scraps before trying it on the cabinets. You'll know if it's still not ready because the paint will roll off instead of sand off. Here's a link to a heater similar to the one I have if you're interested and as always, Good Luck. https://www.lowes.com/pd/PELONIS-150...tat/1000179783
                        Hey Kevin, missed this earlier. Seems I am not getting my notifications when folks post anymore... I'll have to get that sorted out.

Yep, I know what a gaylord box is. Took a few years at work before I heard the term though! Setting up a bake oven for them is a great idea. I haven't done anything to the cabinets yet except (in the words of our friend johnnyrichards "Put your beak on it!" My beak tells me I still smell paint, so it isn't cured up yet.

It's apparent to me that I won't have these cabinets finished to the level I expected before getting them to InDIYana. As much as it pains me to do, I will exercise patience and not paint anything more on them until After InDIYana. This way I can focus on making an external XO mock-up or two, and give Drjay something to hear and give me some feedback on at the show! I should be able to rig that up without worrying about the paint.

Once I get back, I can work on these a bit more and get them fully dressed for a field trip to MWAF in July!

Comment

Patience is a good thing, wish I had more of it. Looks like you've still got plenty of work to do on the coax cabinets anyway. Good luck!
                          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                          Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                          The Archers
                          Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                          The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by KEtheredge87 View Post
                            Sweet action, Sir! Do you recall your finishing methods for it? I don't think I plan to go for the literally polished look on these, but I'm not opposed to some elbow grease to ensure a decently smooth finish. Provided of course that I can keep being patient while things dry.

The cabinets have been drying indoors for 2 days now, which is supposedly OK for top-coating according to the rustoleum can instructions. If I trust the can instructions, it sounds like I would be OK to mask off and add a gloss black racing stripe down the middle at this point.

I have a hot rod shop paint them, I don't know the details other than they are paint wizards.
                            Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Hey Everyone,

Here's an update on the SuperBees ahead of InDIYana! I decided to overhaul my XO design from the last time I posted about it since I couldn't quite put my finger on what sounded "off" to me from January. This time I didn't try to pad everything down to match the levels I measured at 100--200 Hz. I thought this choice should cause the low end to be quieter than the rest of the frequency range (at least in theory). However when I tested it and listened to some music I didn't find the lows to be lacking. This XO design is still preliminary (although closer to done than not, I think), and it will be used at the InDIYana show later this week.

Also of note... I think I am dealing with component tolerances between each cabinet. The parts and XO setup are identical, yet one cabinet is showing a 1dB boost through the 2 kHz range, as well as an odd boost at the high end near 15K. I was not expecting that kind of variance, but I could easily see some part to part variation in the NPE caps I used causing the 2 kHz shenanigan. I did buy some 30uF polypropylene caps to test as well... but they are pretty darn big to fit inside this cabinet! For what it's worth, I couldn't hear a difference (or a detraction per se) in my XO testing for using the NPEs in the woofer section of this design.

When you see these on Friday/Saturday, please feel free to offer me your thoughts! These and the SevenSixTwo Coaxials will be the first XO designs I've put together, and while I think they sound good... I'd like some unbiased feedback as well.

See you guys this Friday!

I'll try uploading photos via tapatalk... the forum isn't allowing me right now. Says photos are corrupted

Comment

Hopefully the photos attached this time! (XO diagram and FRD plot in next post)
                                Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X