Port Help Kicker 10CVX104

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port Help Kicker 10CVX104

My simple mind isn't getting it. I bought the speaker and built a 1.0ft3 sealed box hoping for tight double kick mania in my minivan but a sealed box is too much to overcome for a single 10" speaker in a minivan. So I shelved it til I could get back to it. A year later and the speaker is discontinued but the specs are still up:
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_2060CV...04.html?tp=111
    It recommends a 1.75ft3 box. There is a recommended slot of 2.5x10.5x20 but I want to use a 2" PVC pipe which most calculators say only a length of 2.6". Why is the slot so much bigger? If I put in 2-2" round ports the length goes up to >6". Does the slot take away from internal volume so do I need to accommodate for the slot to keep 1.75ft3 internal volume if I did go that route? Or should I just use a short 2" PVC port?

It's about the cross sectional area. A 2.5"x10" area is much larger than even 2 x 2" ports. Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music

Comment

Too small a port area will result in chuffing, and a 2" round port is too small a port area. If you deviate from the recommended dimensions the response will suffer for it. Also be aware that the recommended box volume is probably a net figure, the space taken up by both the driver and the port must be added to it.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

The greater the x-sec. area, the longer the vent needs to be to achieve the same tuning. 1.75cf is really too large for relatively flat output from that woofer. A box half that size would give flatter output (BUT . . . would require an even longer port).

If you MUST use a 1.75cf box, I'd suggest a 3" "Precision Port" that's 11" long. A single 2"id port is W-A-A-A-Y too small for a 10" sub (it will most definitely "chuff"). For a 10", I actually prefer more like a 4"id port, but THEN it needs to be nearly twice as long to reach the same tuning (roughly two FEET long).

Comment

First off thank you for the replies and second could someone recommend a book that I could help me catch up on the theory of speaker building?

Chris, I don't have to build a 1.75ft3 box. If you could give me box size and round port recommendation for this speaker I would be so grateful. And then I need to start reading and learning the how's and why's!!

Comment

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...building-bible
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

"SpeakerBiulding 201" by Ray Alden covers a lot of ground, is fairly current, and is pretty easy to read. Since Ray was a math teacher, he DOES have a LOT of math equations in the book, but you don't need to know/understand those to learn the basics of design.

Most usually a closed box is recommended for autosound. If I had to use that Kicker in a car, ONE design could be a 1.5cf box with a 3"id by 16" long round port. A "Precision Port" will have less of a tendency to "chuff" than a 3" round port that you could make.

Comment

Working...
              X